Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap ALDI Gorillapod alternative: €9.99 on Sunday

• 04-12-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd bring yer attention to this, it's in ALDI this Sunday for €9.99 .

Product_detail_Wk50S21.jpg

I don't know how good it would be for a DSLR, might be a big weak, but worth a look I'd say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

could be handy for flashes though. might take a trip to aldi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Doubt it would be strong enough for a DSLR but damn handy for decent compact. At that price it is worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

could be handy for flashes though. might take a trip to aldi.

Yeah, good call. Although, coming from Aldi, I'd be surprised if it's useful even for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Yeah, good call. Although, coming from Aldi, I'd be surprised if it's useful even for that :)

And here was me thinking the recession had converted all the Aldi snobs! ;)

foto joe wrote: »
    And here was me thinking the recession had converted all the Aldi snobs! ;)

Ah now, I happily shop for food in Aldi and Lidl, and their nappies are beyond compare.

However ... ask yourself this, would you go to sea in a boat you'd bought in Aldi ? Hmmmm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

its ok folks if your better half arrives home in this it will definitely convert all the Aldi/lidl snobs:D
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20091207.p.Suspender_Tights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ah now, I happily shop for food in Aldi and Lidl, and their nappies are beyond compare.

I know arent they.

Back on topic I reckon they'd be very handy for flashes on loaction, I used voice activated mobile units before as tripods. (people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

conair01 wrote: »
    its ok folks if your better half arrives home in this it will definitely convert all the Aldi/lidl snobs:D

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

conair01 wrote: »

If my better half was arriving home in this I would be very concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

However ... ask yourself this, would you go to sea in a boat you'd bought in Aldi ? Hmmmm ?

That would make it a ship constructed to German engineering principles as opposed to an Irish product ......... hmmm can we say Titanic, Asgard ?

• Advertisement

Simplicius wrote: »
    That would make it a ship constructed to German engineering principles as opposed to an Irish product ......... hmmm can we say Titanic, Asgard ?

The fools ! If only they'd used a thousand and ONE hulls ! Will they never learn !

Strictly speaking, it was the asgard 2, but I take your point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

If that tripod lasts as long as Asgard 2 did then you'd be doing well. :)

I picked up one of these today and I must say it's better than I expected!

It's holding my D60 with 70-300 Sigma quite firmly on the chair - what I'd imagine is quite an awkward item to grip. I haven't used a genuine gorilla pod so don't know how it compares but I'm quite impressed.

img0405resize.jpg

It'll stand on its own too but not quite as firmly....

img0406resize.jpg

A nice feature that I wasn't expecting is the head of it is removable, so you can take the camera on and off easily. There's also a locking screw to prevent this if you want...

img0411resize.jpgimg0407resize.jpg

Also it comes with an optional larger thread which screws onto the smaller one. I thought tripod screws were standard but clearly not!

The two weaknesses I'd point out are
    • the head itself isn't adjustable, to orientate the direction of the camera you need to adjust the positioning of the three legs. I have another mini-tripod which has an adjustable ball-join on the head and it's actually a paid as it can't handle the leverage of a long lens, so maybe not a negative, but worth noting.
    • Also the gray rubber joints are a bit solid, I'd prefer them more rubbery for a better grip on hard surfaces.

Overall I'd say definitely worth the tenner!! ;)

Just one more to test it... held up well... :cool:

img0419resizeq.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Cool, I must go pick up one. If the camera able to rotate on on it if mounted like in the last pic there? ie, does the weight of the lens cause it to unscrew itself?

:)

It didn't rotate on me anyway... you can screw on the plate quite tight. Even tighter if you use a coin or something to do the last bit (see previous pic). Anyway if that was a concern you could mount it on the other side... and any rotation on the screw would just tighten it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Just went to pick one up in the Aldi beside Nutgrove, and they didn't have any left.

Did you find the empty space for them? Because I couldn't find them in Galway until I came across a stack of about 10 of them in individual white plastic bags!! :confused: Easy to miss!

Also worth asking the staff! They often just fill the space then refill from their stock when they run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Didn't get a chance to go to Aldi, so checked on ebay and they go for 3£.
    So got a couple of them for my speelites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Plenty of them left (17:15) in Newlands Cross branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Damn, only just saw this - I wonder if they will have any in tomorrow?? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Where are Aldi in Galway? see if I can beat Mike to it (ke ke ke )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If it's good enough for the Germans...

dnme wrote: »
    Where are Aldi in Galway? see if I can beat Mike to it (ke ke ke )

Across the road from Tesco - between Chartbusters and Currys.

There's across the road from westside shopping centre too - they'll definately have them. The last time I was in that store they had hardly any room for the food... space all taken up with the previous years offers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

My wife went to get me a couple in Maynooth this morning - They are sold out :(

This demonstrates the good and the bad about the internet - too many people know about a good deal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

While we're at it, Aldi are selling scanners (with an adapter for film and slides) from Thursday, Dec. 10th onwards - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11353.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-12-07-18-40

Also portable hard disk drives and an 8 GB memory stick... http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/offers_week50Thursday09.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

While we're at it, Aldi are selling scanners (with an adapter for film and slides) from Thursday, Dec. 10th onwards - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_11353.htm?WT.mc_id=2009-12-07-18-40

Every review I've seen about scanners seems to have ended up with agreement that Epson is best. Of course a good Epson is very expensive.

I've got a stack of old family prints, mostly pre 1950 b/w, some negatives from that era and some prints/negatives/slides taken with something called an "Agfamatic" in the 1970s.

So my original pics are not of great quality. I wonder if one of these Aldi scanners would be good enough to reproduce those at an acceptable level?

Epsons may be good but they'll break your heart using them! Tend to be slow on high quality settings and the one we used to have had a different program for every little function on it!!

denat wrote: »
    So my original pics are not of great quality. I wonder if one of these Aldi scanners would be good enough to reproduce those at an acceptable level?

Probably. Even the crummiest modern flatbeds are at the point where they probably out-res and out-gamut your typical print. I wouldn't be bothered getting this for negatives or slides though, that's a whole different ballgame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement