Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst present ever

• 04-12-2009 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

It's the thought that counts, but sometimes that's just not enough.

I'll never forget receiving a fairly dodgy football book from my mother for a Christmas during my 20s. It was dodgy in that it was obviously aimed at a much younger child. Who liked football. I "accidentally" left it behind when I returned to work after Xmas.

However, the icing on the christmas cake? 12 months later, it's my present again!!! My mother claimed she'd found it around the house and thought she'd forgotten to give it to me, so she hid it away and brought it out again that year. :eek:. Crap present. Twice. New low. We're looking into homes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I got given the most horrible cardigan last year by friends of my parents. It is vile. It is really horrible. A mixture of wine, red , cream, fawn, black and brown. I honestly thought that they gave me the wrong package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I got a horrible calendar when i was about 23..It was pictures of flowers and hills.At least the auntie could have bought me one with women in it.something interesting to look at..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

got a small reem of A4 printing paper :o

I know a woman who got a wheelie bin from her husband for Christmas ... "well, you said you needed one!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DentalPlan!

I have an alco great uncle in his 70's (you know the ones!) who dropped me off a used deck of cards last year

god bless him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

......... agreed with my wife to "buy something small" several years ago after we'd bought a house and budgets were rather tight. So I bought her a signed book by an Irish author
    and she turned up with a raymond weil watch for me!!! Apparently she spent the whole day waiting for me to come up with the "real present".

Another year she couldn't speak for several hours after a full set of golf-clubs arrived on the bed Christmas morning ......... in my defence, she had said "gosh, I'd love to play golf" one evening when it was on TV - I took that as a massive hint ........... Doh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

A pair of socks from my sister.
    Wasn't that bad, in fairness, until I noticed that my other sister got me a pair of socks too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

My mum's friend bought me a Mark's and Spencer's tube of chocolate coins when I was 16. It wouldn't have been so bad except both of my sisters (older and younger) got expensive jewellery.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

One year I got a goldfish, it was floating on top of the cereal bowl. Apparently while my mother had tried to tie a bow around the fish bowl it fell in the sink and smashed,.!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm reallly..
    My mother said the fish was very distressed and most likely died of a heart attack,.

Was that before or after the REAL shops closed I wonder???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just what every woman wants...an army camoflage sleeping bag with "Secret pocket for a knife!" written on the tag. It was all wrapped up with a gold bow around.

Worse still I got it during a period of long illness that meant I was unable to get out of bed for months at a time. I've never been camping in my life. I'm not that kind of girl really. I have no idea what the motivation was. Maybe they thought the floor would provide a change of scenery for me.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Socks. Black, cotton socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

a bag of coal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

Got a white pants for my 21st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

I got a keyboard when I was younger. When I actually asked for a guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Every year on Stephens' day our family does a Kris Kindle for the older family members.

Men buy things they think a guy would like and women do the same.

So anyway I'm the youngest of the oldest in the family if you get me and last year they went from oldest down to youngest so I was given the last present.

I felt numb and helpless as everybody looked at me opening the dreaded "last present", the one that everybody was avoiding.

I eventually opened it with various mumurs of "WTF?" shooting around the room.

In my hand was a travel hammock, a boules set and a travel adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

That_Guy wrote: »

I eventually opened it with various mumurs of "WTF?" shooting around the room.

In my hand was a travel hammock, a boules set and a travel adapter.

I don't know why, but I find that really funny.

My husbands sister gets him a liverpool annual every year, dont even know where she's buys them, not too bad you may think, but he's 33!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I asked for a scooter one year, and I got a pogo stick, not even one of the easy ones to use, but a really heavy one, that I could barely lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

My brother once gave me a box with a brick in it and the word "Hello" written on 3 strips of paper.

I thought it was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

The Christmas before my Junior Cert, my mam bought me the entire 'Revise Wise' set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Remember one Christmas I had dropped loads of hints about going to see Little Britain live.
    On Christmas Day my mam gave me an envelope and I thought - Great, she got me the tickets!!

Unfortunately it was tickets for Celtic Tiger - Michael Flatly's dance tour. :(

Still it's the thought that counts and it actually turned out to be good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

One of those really cheap soap sets from like a 2 euro shop :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

M&S* wrote: »
    One of those really cheap soap sets from like a 2 euro shop :(

Ah yes. The ones that actually make you smell worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My worst was probably a Tesco Value SuDoku game where people are supposed to "race" to see who finishes the SuDoku first. It never got opened.

Last year my Dad gave my sister an air purifier; that was a bit of a WTF? moment. I, of course, found it hilarious! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

I received a book from my husband. It was called...

"How to Be a Good Wife." Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Stella777 wrote: »
    I received a book from my husband. It was called...

"How to Be a Good Wife." Seriously.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

A pair of socks from my sister.
    Wasn't that bad, in fairness, until I noticed that my other sister got me a pair of socks too...

Well ur name is soccymonster......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Doop

Cracking up laughin reading this thread...

Worst presie i ever got was from my mother... 'The lord of the rings movie guide book...

I wouldnt mind but ive never expressed ANY intrest whatsoever in the lord of the rings.... and have yet to see the films... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

My godmother, who I know to be fairly well off and relatively close to the family once gave me scented socks for christmas... And now the average tends to be scratchcards.

Worst crimbo present you've ever gotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

3 bic cigarette lighters from my brother he was 19 at the time there was just no excuse none at all:mad:

I still think he forgot and emptied out his pockets and wrapped them up he swears blind it took him ages to pick them out :p

And a 100 pack of tea light candles from the mammy (reduced from pennys cause I was with her that day she bought them)

Little Niece bought me a car airfreshner (tweety pie one)

I swear I think my family suffer from dementia cant wait to see what I get this year :p

Im hoping for some fire lighters:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

My godmother, who I know to be fairly well off and relatively close to the family once gave me scented socks for christmas... And now the average tends to be scratchcards.

Worst crimbo present you've ever gotten?
    Please search the forum for similar threads before making new ones. It leads to less clutter.

Thanks

While I'm here, the worst Christmas present I ever got was from one of my best friends last year who bought me the legally blonde box set to real life troll me. I got him an ocarina because I know his favourite game is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That annoyed me a little, but it was funny :rolleyes:

Advertisement