Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the best youve rolled with

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭

who's the best fighter youve rolled or sparred with,
    Just intrested in seeing who comes up,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

Ive rolled or trained with a quite few of the senior instructors or big names that have come over here and the fact they just play with me and submit me at will makes it hard to judge which one was actually the best. :confused: It wasnt me anyway lol.

I suppose it depends on the guy / girls game! I''ve learnt many different things from many different people, and theyve all tortured me in many fascinatingly varied ways.

I dont think its right to name drop. It also depends on the context. Getting smashed in MMA is different to a roll at the end of a seminar with a high grade. Matt Thornton and your guy Kavanagh, and Chris Brennan are quite good. As was your man whatshisname Gracie. :P And him that kneed me in the face at Cage rage had a fair standard of Thai Boxing. :) I would like to think that any guy that beats me in a competition is quite good, as hes better than i am on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would have to say Royce Gracie

He tapped about 40 people out in a row at a seminar I was at years ago.

Felt like trying to wrestle water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Agree with Colin. The best guys are usually so far in advance of where I'm at that I have no sense of how good they actually are!

I've got a few favourite sparring partners and a few guys who I've met at competition or seminars/training who I've rolled with and thought "yeah that's a really great game". Liam O'Toole from Ryano is a great BJJ guy who I would describe at being a step above me if you know what I mean. Our Muay Thai coach Paddy Ivers is the best thai boxer I've ever sparred, and probably Mick Leonard is the standout wrestler I've done rounds with.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishdownhiller

best ive rolled with is seb torres, in terms of stand up, hes a light contact kickboxer..but david clarke. his stand up is second to none pity he hasnt gotten into mma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Remember being a a Shaolin Ribeiro seminar and his assistant Alex rolled with me. He put a leg lock on, and I remember not even thinking to tap, just yelling in pain and waving my hands around in the air like a gimp. Never felt pain like it before or since.

Unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Remember being a a Shaolin Ribeiro seminar and his assistant Alex rolled with me. He put a leg lock on, and I remember not even thinking to tap, just yelling in pain and waving my hands around in the air like a gimp. Never felt pain like it before or since.

Unreal.

What a dick. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

1/ 40 minutes with Clark Gracie....instantly revamped my training focus.

2/Liam O'toole. A real talent and good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Fedor. I kicked his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Menace2Society

Terry Etim and Mark Scannlon both tapped me like I was a lil 5 year old girl who just joined, both very different to roll with, Terry is quite aggressive and D'arced me to death where as Scanno kept puttin me in his half gaurd, rollin me, then tapping me.

Also sparred with Alistair Overeem for about 20 mins, he beat lumps out of me, just played and lifted his leg slightly which resulted in me being kneed in the face! His coach Martijn De Jong has crazy skills on the ground and Siyar Bazadura (shooto champ) out boxed me and GnP'd me.

Also rolled with JK many years ago and he tied me in knots and Rodney Moore has came up and helped me spar on many occasions, very very good all round mma'er. Had some hard fights & just remember thinking 'damn, what's just happened?!'

Advertisement