Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Dog

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Yesterday my dog vomited 3 times, had a tiny bit of diarrhoea and wouldnt stop crying, she hadn't eaten since about 3pm the day before so i brought her to the vet asap. He said she had a stomach bug. He told me to give her water and not to feed her until today and only give her rice and chicken. He said if she cant keep water down then she needs to come in and go on a drip.

She was never much of a drinker anyway but i tried getting as much water into her as possible. so she was fine until i fed her today, about 20 minutes afterwards she started crying and then puked up rice. Right now she is sleeping on my legs and seems happy now but I am very worried.

I really cant afford to bring her to the vet again this week but i am terrified that something else is wrong.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Did she get any medication or treatment from the vet? If so it might take a day or so to kick in.
    Make sure she is drinking some water as she can very dehydrated if she has both vomitting and diarrhoea together so you need to be very careful as this can be very serious.

I would wait a little bit and see how she is. Have you given her just plain boiled rice and chicken? it has to be very plain, nothing added so its not harsh on her stomach.

If you are still worried about her then you need to bring her back, you shouldnt get charged the full amount again as its the same condition.
    Have you got her insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Thanks, yeah the vet gave her two injections and tablets that i started her on today. Havent gotten insurance yet but i am planning to. I gave her boiled plain rice and boiled plain chicken. I think she is a little dehydrated as her pee was yellow, so i am very worried about her, she is responsive and stuff but just lying around. i am making her drink as much as i can but she isnt interested in it. she hasnt pooed since yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

try and get some milk replacement or make up a chicken soup for her? obviously don't give her the soup hot - but warm

Ah right, well then just keep her comfortable and as long as shes drinking a little here and there she should be ok.

I wouldnt feed her much more now if shes not keeping it down and if shes not feeling the best she might not be up to eating anyway.

I would just let her rest and she should perk up a little by tomorrow when the tablets kick in, as this can take a day or so.

I wouldnt worry about her not pooing as the diarrhoea would have emptied her out and as she hasnt been eating much she wont be going to the toilet much.

If shes still very lethargic by tonight or the morning i would deffo bring her back as she will need to go on a drip as mentioned from the dehydration, but hopefully she wont need that if she doesnt vomit much more and is drinking a little here and there. But if shes vomitting up the water she will def need to go back asap.

Paul91 wrote: »
    try and get some milk replacement or make up a chicken soup for her? obviously don't give her the soup hot - but warm

Sorry but i wouldnt feed the dog soup as there are too many additives and flavourings, salt etc which wouldnt be good for her while shes sick like that as it could make her worse.
    As the vet said, plain boiled chicken and rice is the best, nothing else.

Milk could also turn her stomach too and dogs arent meant to get milk anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Elevelyn wrote: »
    I think she is a little dehydrated as her pee was yellow
    Dogs urine should always be yellow in colour.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but i wouldnt feed the dog soup as there are too many additives and flavourings, salt etc which wouldnt be good for her while shes sick like that as it could make her worse.
    As the vet said, plain boiled chicken and rice is the best, nothing else.

Milk could also turn her stomach too and dogs arent meant to get milk anyway.

I did say make up some chicken soup - meant from scratch

and milk replacment i.e. the stuff you give to puppy's when weaning

theory goes, feed the consitancy of what comes out - so if you have liquids coming out at the "ends" liquids should be going in, solids are too much, even chicken and rice

But Paul, nothing else should be added to the chicken or rice so thats why it should only be that on its own. ANything else can upset the stomach even more.

Ive never heard that theory before about the solids and liquid, any vet or info ive heard from vets have always been to feed plain boiled chicken and rice when a dog is sick like that.

but the fact your getting the dog to break down solids in his/her stomach isn't helping, so if you make a simple chicken soup with chicken, stock, small bit of salt (dehydration causes loss of salt in the body) and water it should help the dog to gain some nourishment - this is if the chicken and rice doesn't stay down

I got told "Chicken and Rice" when my German Shepherd gave birth to her pups - i think it's a standard "Vet" line

Thanks guys, i got a liquid syringe thing so i can make her drink water and so far so good, im not too worried about the food as long as she is getting fluids to stay down. I will try her with some chicken again later on tonight and hope it stays down.

And to Kildara I ment to say that it was dark yellow, if the urine is dark yellow its a sign of dehydration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's standard because it works.

OP if you're worried about getting fluids into her then maybe pick up some rehydration stuff for her, the doggy version of Diorlyte, she might drink it a bit better than water. I wouldn't go adding salt to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

if the urine is dark yellow its a sign of dehydration
    Not always. Dark yellow can also indicate a urinary / kidney infection.
    We have a refractometer to measure our lads urine specific gravity on a regular basis to ensure his kidneys are ok. In our case, clear urine is a worse indication than yellow/darker coloured urine.
    Dogs generally wont store water like we do. They will drink as and when they need it, which is why it is very important to always have fresh water available for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Could your dog have eaten something it shouldn't have (toy, plastic etc.)? I would be warey of a blockage if she is not keeping down any solids and is also whining with a sore belly. This is not an unusual situation and can be very dangerous. Perhaps mention it to the vet when you go there again (if she doesn't improve), if she does keep food down and improves you can rule this out totally because they don't recover with a blockage without veterinary help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Lorebringer has a good point, especially seeing as nothing has come out the other end. OP make sure you have an emergency number to hand. Not trying to freak you out but it's better to be prepared in these cases.

kildara wrote: »
    Not always. Dark yellow can also indicate a urinary / kidney infection.
    We have a refractometer to measure our lads urine specific gravity on a regular basis to ensure his kidneys are ok. In our case, clear urine is a worse indication than yellow/darker coloured urine.
    Dogs generally wont store water like we do. They will drink as and when they need it, which is why it is very important to always have fresh water available for a dog.

Thanks and i know its not always a sign but i was told to watch out for it. i always make sure there is fresh water out for you but she doesnt drink much anyway.
    Could your dog have eaten something it shouldn't have (toy, plastic etc.)? I would be warey of a blockage if she is not keeping down any solids and is also whining with a sore belly. This is not an unusual situation and can be very dangerous. Perhaps mention it to the vet when you go there again (if she doesn't improve), if she does keep food down and improves you can rule this out totally because they don't recover with a blockage without veterinary help.

I was afraid that she might have eaten something like that but the vet said he didn't feel anything in her stomach and that as long as she can hold down water she should be fine.

Thanks again everyone i am just so worried about her, would hate myself if anything happened to her. so far i have given her 5 syringes of water and she hasnt gotten sick yet, when she drank yesterday she was sick straight away afterwards.

ok she just got sick again, rice and chicken from earlier, getting very worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Make another appointment with the vet and get her there asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

In the name of God, are you crazy ?? If this was a human wouldnt you bring it to a hospital ??? Jesus, worry about the money later. Is your vet human or what ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im not quite sure why your vet suggested food at all. An upset stomach for 24hrs should be starved and only fluid given. Dehydration rather than lack of food is the biggest problem.

What did your vet give you. Cerenia? Its an anti-emetic (prevents vomiting). This should work pretty quickly so id definitely give your vet a call in the morning if shes still the same. If shes still lethargic and vomiting in the morning then id say they'll take her in. Impossible to guess at this stage, vomiting and inappetance could be caused by a whole list of things so they'll need to investigate.

In the name of God, are you crazy ?? If this was a human wouldnt you bring it to a hospital ??? Jesus, worry about the money later. Is your vet human or what ????

No im not crazy but i didnt want to put my dog through more stress if it wasnt necessary. Which it wasnt, she is keeping water down and ate some food without getting sick. I rang the vet and he said to leave her for now. Yeah I cant afford it but of course i would bring her if i had to.

I dont have to get into my finances or my situation with strangers, i was worried about my dog and asked for advice which is what this board is about and i dont appreciate people judging me (or anyone else who posts something that someone doesnt agree with). If your not going to give someone advice why bother posting at all.

• Advertisement

Elevelyn, id be the same as you so dont feel bad. Its only been 24hrs. I certainly wouldnt be panicking at this stage at all...either is your vet. This doesnt mean an insensitive one, but a practical and realistic one. No vet in their right mind but put a dog on a drip for a mild bout of vomiting in 24 hrs, unless the animal was vomiting blood or was obviously distressed.

The vet is doing the correct protocol and if it was me, id wouldnt be overly concerned unless it carried on into another day or so.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im not quite sure why your vet suggested food at all. An upset stomach for 24hrs should be starved and only fluid given. Dehydration rather than lack of food is the biggest problem.

What did your vet give you. Cerenia? Its an anti-emetic (prevents vomiting). This should work pretty quickly so id definitely give your vet a call in the morning if shes still the same. If shes still lethargic and vomiting in the morning then id say they'll take her in. Impossible to guess at this stage, vomiting and inappetance could be caused by a whole list of things so they'll need to investigate.

Thanks anniehoo, the vet gave her Clavaseptin, all i know is that its an anitbiotic, (she also had a temperature). She didnt eat anything all day yesterday. She was able to keep a few bits of boiled chicken down and is drinking fine again, so i am not worrying as much anymore.

Thanks anniehoo, the vet gave her Clavaseptin, all i know is that its an anitbiotic, (she also had a temperature). She didnt eat anything all day yesterday. She was able to keep a few bits of boiled chicken down and is drinking fine again, so i am not worrying as much anymore.
    Great! Any medicine needs time to work. My honest guess is she'll be much better tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Just PM'ed you Elevelyn

Just PM'ed you Elevelyn
    Ooooh secret advice :D

anniehoo wrote: »
    Great! Any medicine needs time to work. My honest guess is she'll be much better tomorrow.

Thanks, i was freaking out earlier but my OH came home and she seems much better now, was even playing around with some toys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I don't know many humans who would go to hospital just because of a vomiting bug. Not saying that's what the dog has but it's the same type of symptoms that the OP is concerned about. In fact I'm pretty sure the hospitals ask people with vomiting bug symptoms to stay away from hospitals!!!!! I'm glad the poor thing is doing better. Sounds like you did everything you could for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭liam1204

is she better yet?

liam1204 wrote: »
    is she better yet?

Yeah thanks she is much better, hasn't gotten sick since the last time i posted, shes back to her old self, she isn't eating much but thats only because she wants boiled chicken instead of her regular food!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement