Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about exams

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am a mature student, I'm in first year doing arts. I've been waiting on a maintenance grant to be approved, I got the letter yesterday saying it was approved. I have not paid any of my fees yet, not even the 157.50 student levy... I can go into UCD and the bank and have my fees paid and everything sorted by Tuesday 8th...My first exam is Monday 7th... will I be stopped or pestered for having not paid my fees going into exams in the RDS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BlueLepreachaun

I have a similar delay on my fees.
    Admin told me that even if they havn't sorted the fees (I coudn't pay them even tho I had the money it woud't let me) I could still sit the exams.

Just go to one of the bureaucrats in the exam hall and tell them whats going on, bring photo ID and any past student card you had. Apparently theres a seperate area of the hall for us plebs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I hear they don't allow you within 100 m of the Industries hall if you haven't paid your fees :eek:

I didn't pay mine by exam time last christmas either, and like betafrog didn't do anything differently. Didn't have any problems...

Don't just sit down, something to them beforehand, because you wont be registerd to not on their list at all, say something before hand there wont be any problem I'd imagine, only thing is you wont get results until you pay.

The thing where you fill out the special form is, as far as I know, only when you have forgotten your student card, thats the only time ive ever had to fill one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

the 157.50 is for the SU not the college and isn't a requirement to sit exam in the college I'd still check with admin but if your down for the grant and it's not paid yet,that's not coming back to you.It's the council/government body who isn't paying up

the 157.50 is for the SU not the college and isn't a requirement to sit exam in the college I'd still check with admin but if your down for the grant and it's not paid yet,that's not coming back to you.It's the council/government body who isn't paying up

You do have to pay that OTT €157.50 in order to register though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

I'm on the same boat. Have an old Student card I take it that is valid id?

JBUCD wrote: »
    I'm on the same boat. Have an old Student card I take it that is valid id?

Proves to them you were a student last semester at least, but bring a passport as well just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

im on 40 percent before going into the exam thanks to my essay, just wondering do you need to pass the written exam in order to pass the whole module? also if you get a c+ is it worth 65 or 70 percent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭markhiggins

im on 40 percent before going into the exam thanks to my essay, just wondering do you need to pass the written exam in order to pass the whole module? also if you get a c+ is it worth 65 or 70 percent?

no you dont need to pass the exam in most cases but it is really up to the lecturer in question. a quick email will sort that out for you! and a c+ is worth 65%, 70 is a b. but college grading is different than in school so you might want to look it up on the ucd website with regards to 2-1s and 2-2s etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JBUCD

I used an old student card and nothing was said. Didn't even have to sign anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

You should read your module descriptor, if this does not explicitly say that you must pass the exam then all of your marks are aggregated.

There is no absolute fixed relationship between UCD grades and percentages. However in most cases a C+ is 56.6% - 60%

Once again you are better to read the official UCD documentation rather than accept hearsay on boards!
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

Advertisement