Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prediction :What will HENRY's Punishment ?

• 04-12-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭

Ask your crystal ball what Thierry Henry's punishment (if any) will be from FIFA ?

Winner gets a TWIX and a half packet of Tayto .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

He looses his big sponsorship deal
    HenryNewNoSwitch-s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Nothing, less than nothing if thats possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

He looses his big sponsorship deal
    HenryNewNoSwitch-s.jpg

Henry has s sponsorship deal with FIFA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

2 game suspended sentence, a spanking and told he is a naughty boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Why should he be punished?

He will get diddly squat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Suspended ban at the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He's forced to sport a egregiously unfashionable hairstyle for the duration of the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i honestly don't care anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

None. FIFA have no mandate to after-the-fact punish a player for committing an offense unobserved by the ref, unless it's wreckless and dangerous behaviour.

The manner in which FIFA are parading Henry through the streets as some manner of supervillain is disgusting and deceitful. Anything to deflect attention from the real issue, namely the antiquated manner in which the sport is officiated.

They would hang their heads in shame were the capable of the emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Group Stage ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Group Stage ban

Ideally. Its a tough call though, if you can cheat to benefit the whole team and only you get punished then you would still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Boys will be boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Nought...a warning of future conduct at most

Smegball wrote: »
    Boys will be boys.

"The Clown is down."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

He'll have to read all the $hite that has been wrote about the incident.

When will people just start to forget about it, there were more deciding factors that stopped us getting to a penalty shoot-out like missed chances. We played brilliantly over the two legs but should really have taken more chances that fell our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He is forced to read all the Blatter/Henry/France threads on boards at one sitting. Maybe thats too harsh though.

edit: damn, beaten to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Group Stage ban
    This should be the way to go but not with a corrupt organisation like FIFA. They will consult with Henry and as he will more than likely be retiring from international duty after the World Cup they will hand him a ban starting after the World Cup.

s_carnage wrote: »
    When will people just start to forget about it, there were more deciding factors that stopped us getting to a penalty shoot-out like missed chances. We played brilliantly over the two legs but should really have taken more chances that fell our way.

If people keepy saying silly things like that then never I would say.

You can't compare legal and illegal incidents in the way you are above, the fact we missed chances is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We were in a position to go all the way with France regardless of any missed chances.

I swear to god, some people seem to think that missing a chance or two (a legal act in a football game) means you have no right to complain if the opposition decides to handle it twice in order to setup a goal (an illegal act).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

He'll have to read all the $hite that has been wrote about the incident.

Roy is that you?? must be...so seriously roy what is the story with eamo's guy love for you? does it ever worry you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

noodler wrote: »

You can't compare legal and illegal incidents in the way you are above, the fact we missed chances is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. We were in a position to go all the way with France regardless of any missed chances.

I swear to god, some people seem to think that missing a chance or two (a legal act in a football game) means you have no right to complain if the opposition decides to handle it twice in order to setup a goal (an illegal act).

Truer words have never been spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭rednik

He should be made to attend the first match in Lansdowne Road as the MASCOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll have to sit and watch his team loose from the stands, grinning like an idiot while he is deafened by thousands of vuvuzelas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Nothing. Hopefully group stage exit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He shouldn't get any punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He shouldn't get any punishment.

I agree but he will get some sort of financial punsihment and probably miss the 1st game of the WC. This will then be reversed on appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Well Eduardo got bloody linched for his "dive" that time. What did he get a two match ban?

Henry deserves a two to three match ban.

Mr alan you say he doesnt deserve anything but surely then Fair play and all that crap should be thrown out the window. If your caught cheating and the referee doesnt do anything about it then players can get fined bans etc.

Read the rules :rolleyes:

Eduardos ban, quite rightfully, got over-turned on appeal.

Joe, i presume you think Shay Given should also face a ban considering he intentionally grabbed Anelkas foot when he was through on goal in the same game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Eduardos ban, quite rightfully, got over-turned on appeal.

Joe, i presume you think Shay Given should also face a ban considering he intentionally grabbed Anelkas foot when he was through on goal in the same game?

No because that wasnt a penalty. The significance of what Henry done deserves something. Im not saying ban him outright but he deserves SOME punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In the words of Brian Clough, he needs shooting.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    No because that wasnt a penalty. The significance of what Henry done deserves something. Im not saying ban him outright but he deserves SOME punishment.

retrospective yellow card maybe.

and the Given/Anelka thing, was definate on viewing it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and the Given/Anelka thing, was definate on viewing it since.

Reckon you owe me an apology then:p

**** off.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

he shall be ridiculed in his sponsorship deal

See the difference between the french and irish versions of the intro

http://gillettechampions.com/default.aspx?ck=false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

noodler wrote: »

Yes, but decisions goes against teams time and time again in football. The reason this wrong decision is being talked about so much is because it was such a high profile game.

Don't get me wrong at the time i was ripping over it but it's really time we let it go. Going on about it every day isn't going to change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yes, but decisions goes against teams time and time again in football. The reason this wrong decision is being talked about so much is because it was such a high profile game.

Don't get me wrong at the time i was ripping over it but it's really time we let it go. Going on about it every day isn't going to change anything.

So the more time passes the less relevant the incident becomes ???
    There needs to be a day that things change in relation to deliberate acts of cheating , why not now ?
    I know the debate and the Stade de France incident is getting tired , but soccer has changed so much in the past 15yrs and is hardly recognizable from the previous 100 , there is much more at stake in the modern game.
    The FIFA rules ( which Blatter never shuts up about) are over 100yrs old .
    They are the item that are " tired and outdated" not the fact that with over 25 cameras on a match day showing an act of deliberate cheating , can go without punishment ( secs after it occured) yet the governing body hides behind it's 100yr old rule book ! , and don't change a thing.
    That's why the debate is still rumbling on , if a 3rd eye or extra Ref could have cleared up the incident for the Ref this fiasco would have been put to bed 10secs after it occured.
    Now you tell me what's old and should be " let go"??

• Advertisement

mixednuts wrote: »
    So the more time passes the less relevant the incident becomes ???
    There needs to be a day that things change in relation to deliberate acts of cheating , why not now ?
    I know the debate and the Stade de France incident is getting tired , but soccer has changed so much in the past 15yrs and is hardly recognizable from the previous 100 , there is much more at stake in the modern game.
    The FIFA rules ( which Blatter never shuts up about) are over 100yrs old .
    They are the item that are " tired and outdated" not the fact that with over 25 cameras on a match day showing an act of deliberate cheating , can go without punishment ( secs after it occured) yet the governing body hides behind it's 100yr old rule book ! , and don't change a thing.
    Now you tell me what's old and should be " let go"??

Agreed

People who say "lets move on", "forget about it", "he shouldnt be punished" etc are people who are prepared to accept second best. Why should we, the fans of the game of football, accept the amateurish backwards way the game is run, and the massive levels of corruption?

04072511 wrote: »
    Agreed

People who say "lets move on", "forget about it", "he shouldnt be punished" etc are people who are prepared to accept second best. Why should we, the fans of the game of football, accept the amateurish backwards way the game is run, and the massive levels of corruption?

we should not accept the amatuerish backward way the sport is officiated.

making Thierry Henry a scapegoat is not fixing the problem.

wanting a player banned for an offence that is only worthy of a yellow card & most of our players would be the same thing if in the same situation, is just spiteful tbh.

we should not accept the amatuerish backward way the sport is officiated.

making Thierry Henry a scapegoat is not fixing the problem.

wanting a player banned for an offence that is only worthy of a yellow card & most of our players would be the same thing if in the same situation, is just spiteful tbh.

There lies the problem. Why is deliberate cheating only a yellow card offence? There needs to be a major crackdown on cheating in football (including drug taking. if testing was done to the same rigour as in Athletics and Cycling I guarantee you would see much more people caught out). Saying that a deliberate act of cheating (handling the ball) is only a yellow card offence sums up all that is wrong with the game of football.

There should be a 5 match ban for anybody caught doing such a thing. Players will think twice then. Tough action needs to be taken.

If Henry isnt punished it sends the wrong signal out to the world that cheating is acceptable.

thats absolute bollox mate.

so a players is breaking quickly on a counter attack & is chopped down....thats a 5 game ban for the offending defender?

thats deliberate cheating.

thats absolute bollox mate.

so a players is breaking quickly on a counter attack & is chopped down....thats a 5 game ban for the offending defender?

thats deliberate cheating.

Obviously the length of a ban would be in relation to the seriousness of the offence. A bad tackle can be an honest mistake. Handling the ball TWICE is not an honest mistake. Big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

He apologised. That's good enough for me. So much rubbish being talked about this.

K4t wrote: »
    He apologised. That's good enough for me. So much rubbish being talked about this.

LOL, A PR stunt, so people like you would fall for it! Mission accomplished it seems :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

LOL, A PR stunt, so people like you would fall for it! Mission accomplished it seems :eek:
    No. I just think people need to move on. Punishing Henry won't accomplish anything. Introducing video technology will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Obviously the length of a ban would be in relation to the seriousness of the offence. A bad tackle can be an honest mistake. Handling the ball TWICE is not an honest mistake. Big difference.

What about player getting another player booked?

What about a player going down easy?

What about diving?

What about players chasing after the ref or abusing him during the match?

If we are talking about "fair play" which we have in a big way since the Frech match , what punishment should be handed out for the above.

OPENROAD wrote: »

What about diving?

If we are talking about "fair play" which we have in a big way since the Frech match , what punishment should be handed out for the above.

I have always been in favour of heavily punishing diving. I think footage should be reviewed each week and if a player is caught diving 5 times during a season he gets a 6 month ban. Seems strict, but it sure as hell would stop people doing it.

Obviously you cant eradicate all forms of cheating, but my suggestions would be far more effective that your suggestions (to do nothing) with regards cleaning up the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

A F.F.S lads .
    The problem is the dinosaur rule book !
    The modern game & modern player are under alot more pressure than the Giles or the Charltons in their day , the modern rule books and structures ( technology) need to support both player and Ref.
    Thats called moderisation !
    FIFA need the same change, you tell me a young exective board member coming up the ranks of FIFA ? , to give it the breath of fresh air it needs.
    We have Platini to look forward to .

The Technology needed to resolve such fiasco is in respect has been availble years now , it's ironic that the Tech is old now.

OPENROAD wrote: »

What about diving?

The thing is, if theres no serious punishment, then theres nothing stopping people doing the above. For eg. imagine if there was no drug testing in sport? There would be nothing to stop people enhancing their performance then.

The first step to cleaning up the game is to bring in such punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Rumour has it he will be banned for the opening ceremony, others reckon he will be banned for 60 minutes of the 1st group game too , at least he can be a sub..

:p

Don't fear precedents Mr Alan, they bottled it with Eduardo knowing the consequences of banning him.Maybe in time there might be a standarised ruling regarding cheating.Have to laugh at your last man fouling analogy.

it really is the exact same thing.

the only difference between the two is the outcome, and that should never be an issue when judging an offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Week in week out we here players, managers, pundits, etc, etc talking about consistency.
    Where's the consistency when you give a player a bigger punishment because of the high profile nature of the incident?

• Advertisement
Advertisement