Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prediction :What will HENRY's Punishment ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^^^^^^^
    ding ding ding

correct answer.

the Henry incident should have opened the door for a real discussion about the rules of the game and not bitter fans looking for Henry to be publically flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »

the Henry incident should have opened the door for a real discussion about the rules of the game and not bitter fans looking for Henry to be publically flogged.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

My money is on a one match ban.

They will make a scapegoat of him so that they can keep up the pretense that the game is above cheating.

It's all about PR and saving face for FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I take it, all fouls are deemed cheating now ? :rolleyes:

There was a time when we all wanted serial divers ala Gerrard,Drogba,Ronaldo punished for what they did but now it should reach out to fouling ???

Two faced responses which can be back tracked to any diving incident involving the above can ridicule the above comments me thinks.Until Uefa/Fifa grow a ballsack that includes 2 testicles and tries to stamp out this **** then we can only hope for a precedent....Yo Gerrard/Drogba/Ronaldo we have just banned yore asses for 5 games for cheating....That is what fair play should mean ijs....

If you actually think that fouling is the same i am sure you would have no problem saying Carragher is a cheating **** regarding his actions in the last 5 or so games which didn't see him red carded , Mr Alan ? I can expect a quote saying so ?

Consistency from refs ? Like that **** will ever happen.

:rolleyes:

d22ontour wrote: »
    There was a time when we all wanted serial divers ala Gerrard,Drogba,Ronaldo punished for what they did but now it should reach out to fouling ???

Did we though?

I would say it boiled down to who was involved and what team you supported as to punishment dished out.

d22ontour wrote: »
    I take it, all fouls are deemed cheating now ? :rolleyes:

If you actually think that fouling is the same i am sure you would have no problem saying Carragher is a cheating **** regarding his actions in the last 5 or so games which didn't see him red carded , Mr Alan ? I can expect a quote saying so ?

intentionally fouling a player to stop an attack is the same as handling a ball.

i agree that some of the incidents carragher has been involved in over the last few weeks should have seen him get a yellow card (most of them did), that is the correct punishment for breaking the rules in the way he did.

similarly, Henry should have gotten a yellow card for handling the ball intentionally.

talking of retrospective bannings etc are ridiculous as there is no consistancy there & the punishment is more than he would have gotten if the ref had seen the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

de49adfbd82cf3544b3e7c89a2550f86.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

intentionally fouling a player to stop an attack is the same as handling a ball.

i agree that some of the incidents carragher has been involved in over the last few weeks should have seen him get a yellow card (most of them did), that is the correct punishment for breaking the rules in the way he did.

similarly, Henry should have gotten a yellow card for handling the ball intentionally.

talking of retrospective bannings etc are ridiculous as there is no consistancy there & the punishment is more than he would have gotten if the ref had seen the incident.

Just a yellow card for using your HANDS in a game of FOOT-ball!! That sums up how much of a joke the sport has become.

Yes cheating should be retrospectively punished regardless of whether he was booked on the field of play or not. They do it in rugby, so why not football!

04072511 wrote: »
    Just a yellow card for using your HANDS in a game of FOOT-ball!! That sums up how much of a joke the sport has become.

Yes cheating should be retrospectively punished regardless of whether he was booked on the field of play or not. They do it in rugby, so why not football!

Are we talking about anytime a player uses his hand to control the ball then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I agree but what do you think they will do?

I too think banning for even one game is idiotic but don't you think FIFA are on a face-saving mission and so will make some token gesture to satisfy the media?

04072511 wrote: »
    Just a yellow card for using your HANDS in a game of FOOT-ball!! That sums up how much of a joke the sport has become

i dont know what sport you ever watched but a yellow card has always been the punishment for intentionally handling the ball except when its done on the line to stop a goal.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    I agree but what do you think they will do?

I too think banning for even one game is idiotic but don't you think FIFA are on a face-saving mission and so will make some token gesture to satisfy the media?

i dont know what they will do tbh.

anything they decide to do, he will appeal & no doubt win. especially so soon after the Eduardo incident where Uefa made clowns of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ding ding whatever.

If the ref had of seen it would have resulted in a disallowed goal that's for sure , but, you have now made yourself because of your fifapolitical standings, oblivious to making any comment about any dubious decision ever.You harp on about technicalities but have no problem whining about any decision that goes against Teh Pool makes you as two faced as your PC response in this thread.You know players cheat but don't want a radical reform of how cheaters are punished retrospectively of when the punishment is sought ?

Unless the problem of cheating is addressed then the status quo will continue,i take it you are happy with this because your most influential player is a serial cheater, no ? That would explain your current flawed response but the future of the game with huge bans for cheating could actually be beneficial to the game , maybe ?

Oh you want consistency , i forgot, you expect every tug of a shirt in the box to result in a penalty/free out too , i take it ?

You outshine yourself everytime...

;)

adding a wink at the end of your message doesnt make it any less of a veiled attack on me, and constantly bringing up the pool? wat are you talking about?

there will always be grey areas when it comes to officiating a sport like football, some tugs of the shirt are harsher than others. the henry incident would have resulted in the goal being disallowed, no doubt. but because the ref didnt get his decision right, doesn't mean that Henry should miss his last opportunity to go to the world cup.

If Ireland won the game against France, would people here have been in favour of a retrospective banning for Shay Given who intentionally fouled Anelka in the same game denying a near definate goal & the ref denying them the penalty they should have had?

after all, people here arent bitter because it was Ireland that affected, we only care about the good of the game, of course we do....or how about Robbie Keane when he controlled the ball with his hand against Georgia & proceeded to try & turn only for the ref, quite inexplicably give Ireland a penalty....where the the overwhelming need for reform & justice when that happened?

i dont mind if Fifa introduce new ways of dealing with incidents like this one, in fact i think it would be a great idea, however you cannot back date the implenentation of these ideas just cause people want Henry/France to suffer. I have always felt this way, see the recent thread about Eduardo if you want proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

they should bring in the video referee, but have it called the henry ruling or something like that so every time its used he gets reminded why it was brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

it really is the exact same thing.

the only difference between the two is the outcome, and that should never be an issue when judging an offence.

It usually is. If I foul a player but they do more to stay on their feet or stumble afterwards affects the ruling/pnishment etc.

Same if I pull someone back whilst they are through on goal and they score anyway - I'll escape a red.

The bigger the prize at stake the more of an incentive cheating is - something needs to be done for sure. Seeding play offs and old suits afraid of technology are major problems. I would love to have a device to see what FIFA would have done video tech wise if Kevin Doyle had handled twice to put France out, I bet more progression would have been made, more heels put in motion etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I would like to see him given the grand marshall job for the paddies day parade in Dublin next march.
    Anyone give me a 'hand' putting together a facebook campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

mixednuts wrote: »
    Ask your crystal ball what Thierry Henry's punishment (if any) will be from FIFA ?

Winner gets a TWIX and a half packet of Tayto .
    He will be ordered to get a Penectomy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

No sweets for a week.

I'd imagine that they won't do much to him, possibly a one game ban at the most. They aren't going to not allow one of the biggest names in world football to not play in the World Cup.

Blatter will certainly want him to play, as will the rest of them.

Advertisement