Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to adopt..

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am a 40 year old female and have not been able to conceive, and would love to adopt to give a child a loving home. In Ireland. Does anyone know how to go about this in Ireland? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

starzy wrote: »
    I am a 40 year old female and have not been able to conceive, and would love to adopt to give a child a loving home. In Ireland. Does anyone know how to go about this in Ireland? thanks

Hi,

Is there anything else you can tell us, without being too specific. By 'in Ireland', do you mean you are living in Ireland, an Irish citizen, and wish to adopt an Irish child or are you writing from outside Ireland and want to come here to live and adopt - I dont understand exactly from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 starzy

efla wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there anything else you can tell us, without being too specific. By 'in Ireland', do you mean you are living in Ireland, an Irish citizen, and wish to adopt an Irish child or are you writing from outside Ireland and want to come here to live and adopt - I dont understand exactly from your post.

Yes, I am living in Ireland, I am an Irish citizen. I don't mind what country I adopt from, it's just that anyone I know of who is trying to adopt adopting seems to be adopting a child from another country and there seem to be very large fees and a very long waiting list. For that reason I was wondering if there are any Irish children needing adoption or is the long waiting list the only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi , their are very few irish babies for adoption and they are usually placed with relatives, grandparents etc.
    if u would take an older child u could foster with an option to adopt, a lot of people only want babies , their are a lot of older children looking for good homes......kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

In the interests of the welfare of all parties, long waiting lists are an unavoidable and necessary part of the process. The link below should give you some sense of current trends in domestic adoption. That wont be of much direct help to you, but should give you some sense of Irish adoption as it is now - active societies and such. The link below is for the adoption board home page, from where you can access basic legal information about initiating the process. You will have to speak with an agency or HSE professional to get more substantial information. The final link is for contacts, and lists numbers and email addresses for the various bodies you will see referred to in the report and on the website. I hope this is of some help, sorry I cant tell you much more.

http://www.adoptionboard.ie/booklets/Annual_Report_2007.pdf

http://www.adoptionboard.ie/domestic/index.php

http://www.adoptionboard.ie/domestic/supportgroups.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You should find lots of Intercountry information on the IAA website..
    http://www.iaaireland.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We're also starting into the adoption process, just e-mailed the board today :-) Have you gotten any more information?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 davido

Hi Barbiegirl & Starzy,

We decided to adopt and registered to do so in June 2004. To date, although we have been approved to adopt since September 2008, we have not been able to complete our adoption. When we started the process we chose to adopt from Vietnam as at the time there was a bi-lateral agreement between Ireland and Vietnam. This agreement expired in May 2009 and despite the fact that the Minister with responsibility for this has been giving us all assurances since January 2009 that a new agreement was being worked on as a matter of urgency he announced yesterday that negotiations were being suspended indefinitely. While the reasons for suspending negotiations are not groundless, this latest setback is just one of many we have encountered during this long process. If you are considering Intercountry Adoption it is important that you be aware of how long the process is. Do check out the links given and also do some research on the Adoption Bill 2009 currently before the Dail and the Hague Convention on the International Protection of Children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 umcconn2

Hello

We are finally getting somewhere with our international adoption, and will be travelling to PERM in Russia in the coming weeks. Can anybody give me some advise regarding flights and tips etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koni

Hello umcconn2

I can give you lots of tips ablut traveling to Russia as I'm from Russia myself, but you neet to tell me when you are planning to travel and for how long.

Also I'm starting a research on Irish intercountry adoption system as I would like to set an association to help Irish people to adopt from Russia and Ukraine, so you could give me some tips as well.

Thanks,
    Natasha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 umcconn2

Koni wrote: »
    Hello umcconn2

I can give you lots of tips ablut traveling to Russia as I'm from Russia myself, but you neet to tell me when you are planning to travel and for how long.

Also I'm starting a research on Irish intercountry adoption system as I would like to set an association to help Irish people to adopt from Russia and Ukraine, so you could give me some tips as well.

Thanks,
    Natasha

Thank you very much, I have not recieved confirmation on dates yes - mid February - I think we are travelling on Sun and returning on Wed..

In regard to your research on Irish Intercountry adoption, there are definitely opportunities for a Russian person to become involved, if you interested in becoming a facilator/agency, as there intercountry adoption association IAA are looking for Agencies - or people to work with. if you want to discuss this privately we could meet up or talk on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

umcconn2 wrote: »
    Hello

We are finally getting somewhere with our international adoption, and will be travelling to PERM in Russia in the coming weeks. Can anybody give me some advise regarding flights and tips etc.:)

Great news on the progress...
    If you look at IAA Yahoo Groups there is a good few discussing their trips to Russia at the moment.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iaa-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

Koni wrote: »
    Hello umcconn2

Thanks,
    Natasha

Hi Natasha,
    Unfortunately once the new adoption bill becomes law later this year (April or May) Russia and Ukraine will no longer be donor countries for adoption to Ireland, as the new law will only allow adoptions from countries who have ratified the Hague Convention on International adoption OR countries with which we have a bi-lateral agreement. Neither Russia or Ukraine qualify under these new rules.

Here is the link to the ministers recent statement on the cut-off point for current procedures: http://www.omc.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=1236

Advertisement