Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Irish

Options
  • 04-12-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm attempting to learn attain a HL C3 in Irish in the coming LC (2010). I have very basic Irish, having only studied it from sixth class till 2nd year due to being exempt. I realise that I am trying to cram in a huge amount of work into very little time, however I'm not working at the moment and am concentrating solely on working on the Irish. Luckily, I pick up languages easily(I speak 3 other European ones)

I am hoping that people might be able to recommend the best way to go about learning this way. Doing 1-1 grinds, or go down to the gaeltacht (one in particular?). I've been into Gael Linn, and Conradh na Gaeilge, but they only offer group classes, whereas I am looking for something super-intensive.

ANY suggestions that people have would be of immense help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well it goes against everything I now believe in as a teacher, but as a student I learned the entire course off by heart.

For example, I wrote out a template for my poetry answers, example:

This poem is called _______. It is about ________. The theme of this poem is ________. The poet writes this because he wants to show the idea of _________. I feel that this is a good image because it shows_________.

And so on,

I learned it off by heart.

I then went back and inserted as appropriate for all poems, and learned them.

With the essay, write down a load of phrases and learn them, for example:

This is a huge issue in society today.
    There are advantages and disadvantages to _______.

etc...

It's incredibly time consuming and not at all ideal, not real learning in fact, but if you're not going to use the irish afterwards, then this is the way I would do it.

I just needed it for points.

I went from a d3 in ordinary JC to a c1 in higher in 2 years though

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I have some experience with Conradh na Gaeilge and their courses are very general and are mostly focused on conversational Irish rather than the academic side of things.

My advice to you would be to go to a grinds school for adults and do the subject part-time. If you don't want to do that, find yourself a good grinds teacher who will give you maybe two-three hours a week of solid tuition.

Oideas Gael, in Glencolmkille, offer leaving cert students full-on courses that last a week or so. Downside would be that you'd be studying with some really young students. Not that I have many assumptions as to your age.

Good luck, PM me for more info!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hello,
    I'm a final year student at university level. In the LC, I only did Ordinary level(got B1). For the next academic year, I didn't apply for the H.Dip in second level teaching, primarily as my GPA won't qualify me. I know I want to do teaching, but have never dismissed either primary or secondary. So this leads me to asking one or two questions, or even, links to where I can find enough info for this.

1) Is the GPA requirement for primary education teaching postgrad the same as secondary?

2) How exactly do I apply to be able to do the Higher Level Irish paper, as I do want to open up some more options in teaching for myself.

Any help would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

andyneb wrote: »
    I'm attempting to learn attain a HL C3 in Irish in the coming LC (2010). I have very basic Irish, having only studied it from sixth class till 2nd year due to being exempt. I realise that I am trying to cram in a huge amount of work into very little time, however I'm not working at the moment and am concentrating solely on working on the Irish. Luckily, I pick up languages easily(I speak 3 other European ones)

I am hoping that people might be able to recommend the best way to go about learning this way. Doing 1-1 grinds, or go down to the gaeltacht (one in particular?). I've been into Gael Linn, and Conradh na Gaeilge, but they only offer group classes, whereas I am looking for something super-intensive.

ANY suggestions that people have would be of immense help. Thanks
    im confused
    you want (why?) to learn a language. You are exempt (abroad?). Why do you want this given you have pucks of other languages?

Advertisement