Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay ban me but.........

Options
  • 04-12-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

The way threads get locked in here just makes me want to not bother with this place anymore.

What is wrong with a bit of general discussion?

I don't have a problem with removing posts that name people etc, but, why was the post about the Pub opening locked? Why can we not just throw ideas around and mention what we hear on the street?

This place used to be fun and even interesting, not anymore!

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I was surprised too when the thread was locked. Personally I thought, when I said that they put a new sign up outside the building, that WAS new information. Yet it was closed because there was no new info...
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

the way I see it is...if the original poster's query gets answered...the thread has runs its course.

The problem I can see with the pub thread is that was wandering off the original posters topic and had more discussion about the Woodlands than it did the Charlesland unit...

I'm no saint - I am guilty of discussing things which are off-topic. If the moderator deems the thread to have run its course, then they closed it. For those interested in discussing the topic in more detail, then an appropriately title thread be started.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Mrs A.
    They're hardly gonna ban the person who started the entire Charlesland thread.
    ...and if they do...maybe we should look at new MODs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Do many threads get locked in here often? In all fairness the Charlesland pub thread was loads of speculation that didn't really seem to be going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

100% agree with OP. I can never understand why so many threads here get locked, it's not as though anything outrageous or controversial is said.
    It's at the stage where I don't bother looking here much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Seems to be that they get locked if they are anything to do with business, development, property, or if it just doesn't interest the mods (one in particular)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Agree totally a bit trigger happy me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

First off the thread has been reopen.
    As the thread has been going in circles and getting a little boring i decided to close it.
    I did note in the closing post that if any new info became available we could start a new one.
    If i thought there was still a lot of interest in it i would have left it open.
    Sorry for misunderstanding.
    MrsA wrote: »
    The way threads get locked in here just makes me want to not bother with this place anymore.

What is wrong with a bit of general discussion?

I don't have a problem with removing posts that name people etc, but, why was the post about the Pub opening locked? Why can we not just throw ideas around and mention what we hear on the street?

This place used to be fun and even interesting, not anymore!

M

Mrsa, everyone is entitled to an opinion and to ban someone for that would be outrages. Hope i have answered your questions above.
    d31b0y wrote: »
    I was surprised too when the thread was locked. Personally I thought, when I said that they put a new sign up outside the building, that WAS new information. Yet it was closed because there was no new info...
    :confused:

New info about Charlesland pub not Woodlands/Greystones inn.
    astrofluff wrote: »

The problem I can see with the pub thread is that was wandering off the original posters topic and had more discussion about the Woodlands than it did the Charlesland unit...

I'm no saint - I am guilty of discussing things which are off-topic. If the moderator deems the thread to have run its course, then they closed it. For those interested in discussing the topic in more detail, then an appropriately title thread be started.

Well said. :)

A new thread can be started for Woodlands/Greystones inn or we can change title in Charlesland pub to include the other pub.

Good idea, bad idea?

Just one more note.

If this turns into a mod bashing thread it will be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Grrrrr... Mods!

It's a thankless task at the best of times, but particularly for local forums, due to the personal nature of some threads and the mix of local personalities and perspectives. Factor in also the obligations of every mod to Boards. Mods must protect Boards from any potential legal threat and also maintain the spirit of the entire site, not just this one forum.

For what it's worth, I think Damo and Loya are doing a fantastic job and I doubt that I would do anything differently.

Also, OP, it's really bad form to start threads like this. Generally if you have an issue with a mod action, best to send a PM to them to ask them to review, then if you're not happy go to the Feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Generally if you have an issue with a mod action, best to send a PM to them to ask them to review, then if you're not happy go to the Feedback forum.

and on that note

:pac:

loyatemu wrote: »
    and on that note

:pac:

After a night in the Charlesland pub? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement