Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIFFO is the cleverest and mot cunning of them all.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

66% of the private service have not taken any pain.

url?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

maxximus wrote: »
    we will see what will happen when schools , hospitals etc will close down for 3 - 5 days then so !

It's for the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

frman wrote: »
    If strikes happen, so be it.

And the Country wont grind to a halt either.

Nah, they'll all be in Newry! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

66% of the private service have not taken any pain.

Since you have the figures to hand, could you tell us what percentage of the public sector lost their jobs due to redundancies? I don't have the figures to hand, perhaps you could enlighten me, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I think well done those that have stood up, not quite sure Mr Cowen was the mastermind though.

As a public sector worker I abhorr the grip the unions have. They have held back progress for many years for those that did not give a damn. I welcome change and progress and modernisation but I need a weekly wage, I need to do my job.

The unions have their place, the problem is that they overstepped the mark and were lead to believe that they were more important, thanks to Bertie.

The future is a scary one indeed. Next Weds will be a historic day in the history of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Wow the FF fanboys have some thing to yahoooo about at last, they have been keeping their heads down for a long time now and rightly so, they fooked us up good in the first place. Cowen had no choice, McDaid, McGrath and a few more had said they wouldn't vote for the 12 days in the budget. They too only doing it to save their ars....

It wasn't brilliant strategy by Cowen just saving face. That said it was impracticable, lots of the other stuff was good, transformation etc. but built on a fioundation of sand (12 days).

What next ????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

there isnt the support with the PS for strikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since you have the figures to hand, could you tell us what percentage of the public sector lost their jobs due to redundancies?

This forum is amazing, people are simultaneously criticising proposals for short time for the public service because they are all needed while at the same time wondering why there are no redundancies. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

ROS123 wrote: »
    Wow the FF fanboys have some thing to yahoooo about at last, they have been keeping their heads down for a long time now and rightly so, they fooked us up good in the first place.

I am not a FFer and will never vote that way after the mess that they have landed us in..

I am just delighted that the correct decision has been made for the good of the Country for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Will today mark a day in Irish Social Economic and Political History?

Will We look back on December 4th 2009 as The end of the Era of the Beards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

we will see what will happen when schools , hospitals etc will close down for 3 - 5 days then so !
    Hospitals will never close down, but our health service is in such a **** state at present that a strike can't really make it all that worse. Parents are well used to making arrangements for their kids during summer holidays and so forth and employers will be generally sympathetic and accomodating. The problem here is that the public knows that there simply is no money and the public sector workers are on the ropes.

I'm pretty sure most people are prepared to settle in for the long haul if it means we can reduce the cost of running the country and begin to correct the accounts.

There's only so long the public sector can go on strike before their war fund runs out and their own ranks turn against them - especially when less than half of the union members voted for the first strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

oh here come the "terrorist" like threats :rolleyes:

since the Gardai be striking too does that mean i can break into teachers houses and get away scot free? strikes hurt everyone remember

if anything the strike exposed how grotesquely unfair the strike were on some of the PS members who are now realizing they are taken by a ride by their own unions

frman wrote: »
    It's for the greater good.

Greater good? Where were all the strikes when classroom sizes went through the roof? Where were they when the government refused to provide infrastructure for a modern education system?

Greater good? Where were the public service strikes then?

Greater good? Where were all the strikes when classroom sizes went through the roof? Where were they when the government refused to provide infrastructure for a modern education system?

the choice was between more pay or better infrastructure

guess which one the unions chose?

I for one, cannot wait, we were very busy the last time around. I spoke to 3 teachers in the showroom about buying a car in 2010.
    Right or wrong, ye worn't on the picket lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

guess which one the unions chose?

Guess which one the government, elected by the people, chose. The government never proposed spending a decent amount on education by European standards and the teachers only got pay increases in line with other workers in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flan45

This forum is amazing, people are simultaneously criticising proposals for short time for the public service because they are all needed while at the same time wondering why there are no redundancies. confused.gif

Two different issues:

Firstly there are shortages of people in certain areas of the PS, there was no basis for agreeing short time in those areas, in other areas members of the PS could have taken 18 or 20 days unpaid leave and it wouldn't have made any difference because it's over staffed.

The latter is the area where we wonder why there are no redundancies.

[quote=ardmacha;63340371teachers only got pay increases in line with other workers in the economy.[/quote]

so decreases should be the same?

so around 10%?

grand.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Guess which one the government, elected by the people, chose. The government never proposed spending a decent amount on education by European standards and the teachers only got pay increases in line with other workers in the economy.

and now that other workers in economy are set back a decade

will yee follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

B@llox. Biffo ran scared of his back-benchers. I'm a PS worker and have been open to change, but they can go f*ck themselves now.

• Advertisement

B@llox. Biffo ran scared of his back-benchers. I'm a PS worker and have been open to change, but they can go f*ck themselves now.

So you're going to resign is it?

ntlbell wrote: »
    So you're going to resign is it?

400,000 unemployed who wouldnt mind taking his job even with the cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

dfbemt wrote: »
    I think well done those that have stood up, not quite sure Mr Cowen was the mastermind though.
    As a public sector worker I abhorr the grip the unions have. They have held back progress for many years for those that did not give a damn. I welcome change and progress and modernisation but I need a weekly wage, I need to do my job.

The unions have their place, the problem is that they overstepped the mark and were lead to believe that they were more important, thanks to Bertie.

The future is a scary one indeed. Next Weds will be a historic day in the history of this country.

Of course you need a decent wage but you have been badly led by your leaders. Why is'nt there motivation for efficiency and excellence in the Public service. No one would begrudge paying more to the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

No I'm not going to resign, but any changes government try to push through will not be met favourably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Two places pal...keeping their heads down sayin nothin.......or

Head and shoulders in the trough........

Like those Finance wallahs.....our esteemed ex banking regulator....and of course our porcine friends in fas.

All doin very well now thank you......still drivin the Audi 6 and three fig pensions.

Thanks lads......:cool:

No I'm not going to resign, but any changes government try to push through will not be met favourably.

you can meet it whatever way you want

theres no money in the kitty

and the country cant continue to borrow indefinitely to pay the highest/best paid public service in the world (which mind you is not providing the best service)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

If you consider the name of this thread.

Do you really think Biffo is all that clever, the 12 days are a stupid idea, but has he missed out on a very good opportunity to transform the PS just to save face and keep the bbenchers on side.

History will tell, I fear he has fooked it up even more than he has already and I thought that would be impossible.........

All doin very well now thank you......still drivin the Audi 6 and three fig pensions.

Thanks lads......:cool:

just like Union leaders with their 6 figure salaries?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Resist change at all costs pal...it's the way forward...no matter that circumstances have CHANGED drastically...

I'll tell you where the changes will be met favourably....by John Q Taxpayer thats who.

• Advertisement

ROS123 wrote: »
    If you consider the name of this thread.

Do you really think Biffo is all that clever, the 12 days are a stupid idea, but has he missed out on a very good opportunity to transform the PS just to save face and keep the bbenchers on side.

History will tell, I fear he has fooked it up even more than he has already and I thought that would be impossible.........

Why has he missed out on a chance for reform?

don't give us what we want = you don't get a properly functioning health service?

it should be irrelevant.

surley if reform doesn't happen it will be down to the unions no?

Advertisement