Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup draw thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone watching it on SSN? They showed a feed of a gang of England fans watching the draw live.... once the last team was drawn, they started shouting "EASY EASY EASY...":mad: Usual overhyping of the teams chances

Are you serious? On a British satellite station?

G and D look the toughies obviously. Some cracking games.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mixednuts wrote: »
    Lads , forget about France they are going fecking nowhere , if they get out of the group just think of any of the teams they could meet , no chance.
    Don't let them ruin what I think will be a great world cup, a world cup that I think has never been more evenly spread , especially with the African nations finally looking like they have their act together. Surprises galore , if you ask me
    I always support Germany for these competitions (because Irelands are never in them :() and people think I'm weird for it, so hope they knock them out :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Of course,any team can beat any other on any given day,it's football after all.
    Capello would have snapped the hand off whoever offered that group to him before the draw though and rightfully so,it could have been an awful lot worse.

England will stroll out of that group imo.

The US beat Spain and came very close against Brazil. As they said on Sky Sports just there they will go through every detail of the England teams tendencies etc. and the English aren't as unpredictable as Spain or Brazil so could be shut down.

Slovenia have nothing to prove after knocking out Russia and coming second in a difficult qualifying group.

Algeria are the unknowns. They beat Egypt in their playoff and Egypt are a very good team. They have a lot of players who went through the France youth system and may tempt a few more before the tournament.

Just saying, it's not a forgone conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

My Predictions:

A1 SOUTH AFRICA
    A2 MEXICO
    A3 URUGUAY
    A4 FRANCE

B1 ARGENTINA
    B2 NIGERIA
    B3 SOUTH KOREA
    B4 GREECE

C1 ENGLAND
    C2 USA
    C3 ALGERIA
    C4 SLOVENIA

D1 GERMANY
    D2 AUSTRALIA
    D3 SERBIA
    D4 GHANA

E1 NETHERLANDS
    E2 DENMARK

E3 JAPAN
    E4 CAMEROON

F1 ITALY
    F2 PARAGUAY
    F3 NEW ZEALAND
    F4 SLOVAKIA

G1 BRAZIL
    G2 NORTH KOREA
    G3 IVORY COAST
    G4 PORTUGAL

It's too close for me.

H1 SPAIN
    H2 SWITZERLAND
    H3 HONDURAS
    H4 CHILE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

my bets for this world cup will be Germany 14/1 and Argentina 9/1. Both my favourites to win it.

Each way im going for Chile 50/1, Serbia 66/1 and Ivory Coast.

Chile are a cracking side so they are. I have a feeling Argentina will rub the criticism in everyones face and go the whole way.

A1 SOUTH AFRICA
    A2 MEXICO
    A3 URUGUAY
    A4 FRANCE

B1 ARGENTINA
    B2 NIGERIA
    B3 SOUTH KOREA
    B4 GREECE

C1 ENGLAND
    C2 USA
    C3 ALGERIA
    C4 SLOVENIA

D1 GERMANY
    D2 AUSTRALIA
    D3 SERBIA
    D4 GHANA

E1 NETHERLANDS
    E2 DENMARK
    E3 JAPAN
    E4 CAMEROON

F1 ITALY
    F2 PARAGUAY
    F3 NEW ZEALAND
    F4 SLOVAKIA

G1 BRAZIL
    G2 NORTH KOREA
    G3 IVORY COAST
    G4 PORTUGAL

H1 SPAIN
    H2 SWITZERLAND
    H3 HONDURAS
    H4 CHILE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jayob10 wrote: »
    my bets for this world cup will be Germany 14/1 and Argentina 9/1. Both my favourites to win it.

Each way im going for Chile 50/1, Serbia 66/1 and Ivory Coast.

Chile are a cracking side so they are. I have a feeling Argentina will rub the criticism in everyones face and go the whole way.
    what would each way be for the WC? make it to the semis or something? Sorry for my lack of betting knowledge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Put us in where France are and the reaction would be similar

Thats a tough enough group,France will struggle to qualify out of it.

Liam O wrote: »
    what would each way be for the WC? make it to the semis or something? Sorry for my lack of betting knowledge...

yeah the semis should pay out, but bookies terms will vary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Why is no one mentioning Holland ?
    They are notorious failures at big tournaments , but did breeze the qualifiers are unbeaten in years.
    If the law of averages say anything then the are due a big tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

My predictions to come out
    A1 SOUTH AFRICA
    A2 MEXICO
    A3 URUGUAY:)
    A4 FRANCE

B1 ARGENTINA:)
    B2 NIGERIA:)
    B3 SOUTH KOREA
    B4 GREECE

C1 ENGLAND:(
    C2 USA:)
    C3 ALGERIA
    C4 SLOVENIA

D1 GERMANY:) Going for them to win tourney
    D2 AUSTRALIA
    D3 SERBIA:)
    D4 GHANA

E1 NETHERLANDS:)
    E2 DENMARK
    E3 JAPAN
    E4 CAMEROON:)

F1 ITALY:)
    F2 PARAGUAY:)
    F3 NEW ZEALAND
    F4 SLOVAKIA

G1 BRAZIL:)
    G2 NORTH KOREA
    G3 IVORY COAST:)
    G4 PORTUGAL

It's too close for me.

H1 SPAIN:)
    H2 SWITZERLAND hope they get hammered in every game
    H3 HONDURAS
    H4 CHILE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yanks worth a bet in group stages. Did very well in Confederations cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pretty happy with that. Avoided some of the big guns.

Cmon England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Pretty happy with that. Avoided some of the big guns.

Cmon England!

Seems good alright for you's , pretty straight forward to around the semi's .
    So reduced risk of those penalty shoot outs England love so much.:p

shiibata wrote: »
    My predictions to come out
    A1 SOUTH AFRICA
    A2 MEXICO
    A3 URUGUAY:)
    A4 FRANCE

B1 ARGENTINA:)
    B2 NIGERIA:)
    B3 SOUTH KOREA
    B4 GREECE

C1 ENGLAND:(
    C2 USA:)
    C3 ALGERIA
    C4 SLOVENIA

D1 GERMANY:) Going for them to win tourney
    D2 AUSTRALIA
    D3 SERBIA:)
    D4 GHANA

E1 NETHERLANDS:)
    E2 DENMARK
    E3 JAPAN
    E4 CAMEROON:)

F1 ITALY:)
    F2 PARAGUAY:)
    F3 NEW ZEALAND
    F4 SLOVAKIA

G1 BRAZIL:)
    G2 NORTH KOREA
    G3 IVORY COAST:)
    G4 PORTUGAL

It's too close for me.

H1 SPAIN:)
    H2 SWITZERLAND hope they get hammered in every game
    H3 HONDURAS
    H4 CHILE :)
    Is it just the one that comes out from group A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

First off what a braindead draw. Having the two best sides in the world on the same side ??????????? Big sickener for Brazil who have by far and away the worst draw with the best African side and Portugal. Whoever voted for Group D as being the worst draw are simply stupid. The draw is so ridiculously lop-sided its a joke. Practically all of the top sides in the world are in the bottom half.

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    First off what a braindead draw. Having the two best sides in the world on the same side ??????????? Big sickener for Brazil who have by far and away the worst draw with the best African side and Portugal. Whoever voted for Group D as being the worst draw are simply stupid. The draw is so ridiculously lop-sided its a joke. Practically all of the top sides in the world are in the bottom half.
    Think you are missing the point there warped. That poll was voted on before draw was made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

mixednuts wrote: »
    Seems good alright for you's , pretty straight forward to around the semi's .
    So reduced risk of those penalty shoot outs England love so much.:p

:mad:

I really hope we avoid Germany should we get through the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm gonna go for...

A: France, Mexico
    B: Argentina, South Korea
    C: England, USA
    D: Germany, Australia
    E: Netherlands, Cameroon
    F: Italy, Paraguay
    G: Brazil, Portugal
    H: Spain, Chile.

That would leave the following 2nd round matches...

France vs South Korea
    England vs Australia
    Netherlands vs Paraguay
    Brazil vs Chile
    Argentina vs Mexico
    Germany vs USA
    Italy vs Cameroon
    Spain vs Portugal

All the seeded teams should win there, which leaves...

France vs England
    Holland vs Brazil
    Argentina vs Germany
    Italy vs Spain

I know it's very unlikely all the results go as per the seedings, but that should give you an idea of who may play who later on in the tournament.

Think you are missing the point there warped. That poll was voted on before draw was made

?????????

Oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Is it just the one that comes out from group A?

Would only give me 15 smilies:( so ommitted France

• Advertisement

I didnt see the draw but is it the winner of Groups A-D playing the winner of Groups E-H ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think Slovenia could be a surprise , and get out off group C along with England .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Nope, they wont show it live at all. They edit the replay to make N. Korea look the better team

Yea, they fake the whole thing so NK win each game.

In fact they've already done it and North Korea won the "World Cup".
    They beat Ireland 6-5 on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 draw.
    In recognition of the team's achievement everyone in NK got an extra bread-roll, hence the celebrations in the streets.

(France went out in the second round losing 1-0 to Narnia (Henry OG))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I still think Spain will win,although I do expect a good run from Paraguay and Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

God that draw was depressing not seeing "Republic of Ireland" anywhere near it, and thanks Sepp Blatter for rubbing salt into our wounds by putting France in with South Africa!! If Henry ever comes down to his holiday home in Kenmare I'll be outside it with my speech ready and my fists clenched...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

IrishKev wrote: »
    thanks Sepp Blatter for rubbing salt into our wounds by putting France in with South Africa!!

Lol, it was a random draw, how did Blatter put France in with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

If Henry ever comes down to his holiday home in Kenmare I'll be outside it with my speech ready and my fists clenched...

Does Henry have a holiday home in Kenmare? I didn't know that. Whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

What exactly was Theron referring to when she said "I think sometimes no comments speak louder than words" followed by shaking her head in disgust?

Was it because her home country South Africa got such a difficult draw? Or was it more in reference to France getting an easy draw, after cheating their way to the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

04072511 wrote: »
    What exactly was Theron referring to when she said "I think sometimes no comments speak louder than words" followed by shaking her head in disgust?

Was it because her home country South Africa got such a difficult draw? Or was it more in reference to France getting an easy draw, after cheating their way to the World Cup?

It was the latter - yesterday during the rehearsal, she drew the French ball and said Ireland. She has an Irish boyfriend apparently

Think you have a point. Ivory Coast were in the same group as Netherlands and Argentina in 2006, this time they got Brazil and Portugal.

Would it be better to go back to seeded rather than regional pools for the draw?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    It was the latter - yesterday during the rehearsal, she drew the French ball and said Ireland. She has an Irish boyfriend apparently

Stuart Townsend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

greendom wrote: »

I am even more in love with her after these comments!
    She us totally and utterly dripping wet

only1stevo wrote: »
    I am even more in love with her after these comments!
    She us totally and utterly dripping wet
    sure domanech wont lose any sleep over her comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I didnt see the draw but is it the winner of Groups A-D playing the winner of Groups E-H ??

No, any 2 teams can meet each other in the final as the 2 qualifiers from each group go into separate sides of the draw. So for example if Brazil and Portugal qualify from their group they can meet in the final (and can't meet before the final).

Interestingly if Brazil and Spain win their groups they will be on seperate sides of the draw so the dream final is still a goer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

teams in bold to get through imo

GROUP A: South Africa (hosts), Mexico, Uruguay, France

GROUP B: Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece

GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia

GROUP D:Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia

GROUP E: Holland, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark

GROUP F: Italy (holders), New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia

GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal

GROUP H: Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Brazil and Spain can either meet in the 1st Round Knockout or in the Final.

If either Spain or Brazil dont win there grp(assuming 1 of them will) they will meet in the the 1st round knock-out but if they both win they're group then only place they can meet again is in the Final imagine that woah! A proper purists final! You heard it here first.

Brazil and Spain can meet in the 1st Round Knockout

Thats not impossible by any means with the group Brazil have.

04072511 wrote: »
    Thats not impossible by any means with the group Brazil have.

I know would be such an Epic game so early and would probably be better than the same game in the Final as I think in the final Dunga would be alot more reserved as he would adopt the 'there's too much to loose philosophy'

You'd fancy most of the favourites to go through without too much fuss. Looking forward to the Brazil v Ivory Coast match - the first game of that group. I think Portugal will be the first big-name casualty.

• Advertisement

I think it has potential to be the best World-Cup ever( and I know its such and over used cliche) but with the quality of the African teams been as great as ever and other teams like Chile,Australia, Serbia,Denmark, Paraguay,South Korea all improving imeasureably. Also with Argentina in a chaotic state while maintaining some quality and fire, with Dunga and Brazil introducing some functional style to their creativity, Spain ready to take the big step now, England with the experience of past failures and a disciplined coach to focus them, France in disarray and Italy and Germany in transition. WOAH... It will be very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Didn't England get a nice group for themselves. God help us, we'll have to spend next summer enduring the tabloid media and their jingoistic bull****!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is the way the current odds (a) to get out of group and then b) to win outright in the bookies sees it panning out.
    Obviously this will not be the way it pans out - doubtless one of the big teams will get to the semi's having had a far easier path as South Korea or Japan or Algeria cause an upset in the groups etc.
    So not my prediction, this is the bookies prediction.

Last 16 (team in bold wins).
    France v Nigeria.
    England v Ghana/Serbia (bookies can't split latter 2).
    Holland v Paraguay.
    Brazil v Chile.
    Argentina v Mexico / Uruguay (bookies can't split latter 2).
    Germany v USA.
    Italy v Denmark / Cameroon (bookies can't split latter 2.)
    Spain v Ivory Coast / Portugal.

I think the big losers on paper are Spain who look destined to be involved in the game of the round, either against Portugal, Ivory Coast or the nightmare of Brazil. I don't subscribe to the 'you have to beat them sometime philosophy', give me the easiest draw possible all the way.
    A possible Argentina Uruguay matchup in the Last 16 would intrigue those of us who like our football splattered with blood and butchery.

Quarter Finals (team in bold wins).
    France v England
    Holland v Brazil
    Argentina v Germany
    Spain v Italy.

Semi Finals.
    England v Brazil
    Argentina v Spain

Final.
    Spain v Brazil.

So Spain justify favouritism and win it, but they've had a hard path facing Portugal, Italy, Argentina and Brazil in their four knockout ties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Groups look so weak when you take out the 8 seeded teams.If 7 of them didn't finish 1st i would be amazed.The one is South Africa who probably won't get out of their group.Argentina are a possible fook up considering how poor they are under the Diego and would be funny to see them fail just because he is such a disgrace.Not so funny looking at their squad.If they wan to win it they should dump his ass before the friendlies even start imo.

You'd fancy most of the favourites to go through without too much fuss. Looking forward to the Brazil v Ivory Coast match - the first game of that group. I think Portugal will be the first big-name casualty.

Are they really a big name though to be fair? Have they ever been really? Before 2002 they had only been to 2 world cups in their history (1966 and 1986). They are a country of 10 million, not particularly big, and they are not a particularly good side either. Take away that diving arrogant twat and you've got a very very average team.

France v Nigeria.
    Holland v Paraguay.
    Brazil v Chile.
    Germany v USA.

France v England
    Holland v Brazil
    Argentina v Germany
    Spain v Italy.

Semi Finals.
    England v Brazil
    Argentina v Spain

Final.
    Spain v Brazil.

So Spain justify favouritism and win it, but they've had a hard path facing Portugal, Italy, Argentina and Brazil in their four knockout ties.

I think Serbia can come through and beat england so for every game you have england I would have serbia as another option. also the permutations for brazil/spain/chile/ivory coast/portugal woulod be unbelievable.

Also for Spain there path would involve so many BIG games would Torres last the pace. would there mentality run out in even one of them games for a slip-up? let s count on it.

At 14/1 Germany are worth an E/W bet defo.

• Advertisement

This is the way the current odds (a) to get out of group and then b) to win outright in the bookies sees it panning out.
    Obviously this will not be the way it pans out - doubtless one of the big teams will get to the semi's having had a far easier path as South Korea or Japan or Algeria cause an upset in the groups etc.
    So not my prediction, this is the bookies prediction.

France v Nigeria.
    Holland v Paraguay.
    Brazil v Chile.
    Germany v USA.

I think the big losers on paper are Spain who look destined to be involved in the game of the round, either against Portugal, Ivory Coast or the nightmare of Brazil. I don't subscribe to the 'you have to beat them sometime philosophy', give me the easiest draw possible all the way.
    A possible Argentina Uruguay matchup in the Last 16 would intrigue those of us who like our football splattered with blood and butchery.

France v England
    Holland v Brazil
    Argentina v Germany
    Spain v Italy.

Semi Finals.
    England v Brazil
    Argentina v Spain

Final.
    Spain v Brazil.

If it did come down to that, you could guarantee that Spain would definately not take out Portugal, Italy, Argentina and Brazil. They would fall at one of those hurdles.

What odds would you get on an All White V Norn Korea final I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Anyone like me think that the Baltic countries could pull off a few surprises and upset one or two of the so called big teams .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

God that draw was depressing not seeing "Republic of Ireland" anywhere near it, and thanks Sepp Blatter for rubbing salt into our wounds by putting France in with South Africa!! If Henry ever comes down to his holiday home in Kenmare I'll be outside it with my speech ready and my fists clenched...
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Lol, it was a random draw, how did Blatter put France in with them?

Yeah I know it was a random draw but I must have somebody to blame for it, so it might as well be him!! Haha :D
    Leeside wrote: »
    Does Henry have a holiday home in Kenmare? I didn't know that. Whereabouts?

Yeah he does, Boylesports had a bet on that he would sell it before the world cup lol, hope he doesn't and I randomly bump into him within the next few years, no doubt I'll still be sour over it so he'll get an earfull :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Anyone like me think that the Baltic countries could pull off a few surprises and upset one or two of the so called big teams .
    Baltic countries .... ? no.

Anyways, I can see maybe one of Chile or Paraguay making a shock run to the semi-final at the expense of a favourite. Chile in particular are at least gonna be entertaining. Biesla looks to play 3-4-3, so there'll be goals at both ends.

Reckon tho, that Brazil will win it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement