Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight - Best Film Ever??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

indough wrote: »
    which probably could have done with a good hour of bits cut out

You gotta be taking the piss!? One of the greatest strengths of the film is that it takes the time to build the characters before the climactic battle scenes. Cutting any one scene would be to the detriment of the film, never mind a whole hour. It is indeed a truly great film, and that's not just because of how influential it was, but you'll rarely find a greater epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Because the target audience for those sort of movies is enormous.
    Im actually starting to get annoyed with the current boom in animated films. Ever since toy story theres been a financial feeding frenzy around that particular market.
    Make the movie, get really popular contemporary actor's/actress's to do the voice overs & pump millions into advertising.
    .....Ka-ching!!!!$$$$$$$$$$

Ray Romano is a really popular contemporary actor now?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,973 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Boondock Saints

/thread

Overheal wrote: »
    Boondock Saints

/thread

What about it? that its an overrated piece of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

You gotta be taking the piss!? One of the greatest strengths of the film is that it takes the time to build the characters before the climactic battle scenes. Cutting any one scene would be to the detriment of the film, never mind a whole hour. It is indeed a truly great film, and that's not just because of how influential it was, but you'll rarely find a greater epic.

its just too long and drawn out, theres a load of stuff that couldve been cut from it without ruining the overall experience

im not saying it shoud be all out action i never expected it to be, but some of the scenes are overly drawn out

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    What about it? that its an overrated piece of crap?
    :eek::confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

:eek::confused::mad:

dont look so surprised deep down everybody knows the boondock saints is an overated piece of sh*te.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    dont look so surprised deep down everybody knows the boondock saints is an overated piece of sh*te.

thank you! I watched it after hearing nothing but how "amazing" it was from friends, at first i thought i was watching the wrong movie, load of bollocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

boondock saints > dark knight

although if the dark knight had spoken with a ****ty irish accent it may have been saveable

thank you! I watched it after hearing nothing but how "amazing" it was from friends, at first i thought i was watching the wrong movie, load of bollocks
    immutable law: watching any movie that someone has hyped up for you ahead of time is doomed to be a movie you judge and hate.

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    but some of the scenes are overly drawn out

Couldn't disagree more, the pace was fantastic. Drawn out, maybe, but not in a bad way. Take the duel scene for example, the anticipation brought on by the pace really made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

The Empire Strikes Back, for me.

Off the top of my head, the usual suspects and pulp fiction were obviously great movies.

The Dark Knight is a really good movie imo

Edit: Shawshank, Leon and the fifth element!

immutable law: watching any movie that someone has hyped up for you ahead of time is doomed to be a movie you judge and hate.

Not true, I've watched plenty of classic movies knowing they were lauded and considered brilliant and enjoyed them as much as if i watched them not knowing a thing about them, Boondock Saints is just pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Dunno if Boondock Saints is a piece of ****e but by christ it is most definately overrated. Good film but nowhere near the classic that its made out to be.

Can't really pick a greatest film of all time, just like its impossible to pick the greatest song of all time, theres just too many genres.. Scarface and Star Wars are great films but theyre incomparible because theyre two totally different genres. For me its the actors that do it, Christopher Lee, Sean Connery, Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Michael Caine, i don't think any of them have made a bad film..

god i fookin hate the 5th element as well, is that generally considered as good? its honestly one of the worst movies ive ever suffered

boondock saints is the sort of film a bunch of first year film students would make after a heavy night of drinking coupled with a tarintino marathon.

Red Storm wrote: »
    Dunno if Boondock Saints is a piece of ****e but by christ it is most definately overrated. Good film but nowhere near the classic that its made out to be.

Can't really pick a greatest film of all time, just like its impossible to pick the greatest song of all time, theres just too many genres.. Scarface and Star Wars are great films but theyre incomparible because theyre two totally different genres. For me its the actors that do it, Christopher Lee, Sean Connery, Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Michael Caine, i don't think any of them have made a bad film..

Seriously? they've all made dozens of bad movies collectively

Tis a matter of opinion mate, i guess i'm just biased toward older-style actors...

Tis a matter of opinion mate, i guess i'm just biased toward older-style actors...

Sean Connery was in Highlander 2, nuff said

micheal caine was in beyond the poseidon adventure (posiedon adventure 2) and jaws the revenge

• Advertisement

He was in three of em actually, they ain't great films but if you view them for what they are they provide a bit of light-hearted fantasy.....

micheal caine was in beyond the poseidon adventure (posiedon adventure 2) and jaws the revenge

i thought posiedon 2 was ok as far as cheesy disaster movies go, id rather watch it than 2012 for example

Ah now Jaws: The Revenge is a comedy classic, a roaring shark with a mind for sharky vengeance that explodes when it gets hit by a boat? comedy gold:D

For me its the actors that do it, Christopher Lee, Sean Connery, Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Michael Caine, i don't think any of them have made a bad film..

Christopher Lee - Howling 2, The Stupids
    Sean Connery - The Avengers, Highlander 2, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Ian McKellen - The Magic Roundabout, X-Men 3, The Keep
    Michael Gambon - Mary Reilly, Toys
    Michael Caine - Jaws, The Revenge, On Deadly Ground, Get Carter (The remake)

They've a fair few stinkers between 'em to be honest. :p

Remake of Get Carter was a pisser alright, but i'd watch all the others purely because i'll get a laugh off em if nothing else...

Ian McKellen - The Magic Roundabout, X-Men 3, The Keep

Woah woah woah, since when is The Keep a bad movie? a Michael Mann directed horror about Nazi's fighting off demons? whats not to like?

and X-Men 3 is better than the first one, there I said it

you really shouldnt have, its absolute pants

and X-Men 3 is better than the first one, there I said it

xmen 3 was f*cking woeful

though not as bad as spiderman 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Ray Romano is a really popular contemporary actor now?:confused:

Yup, I'd say he's a very popular comedic actor in the states.

• Advertisement

But the first one is soooooo dull, sweet **** all happens for the majority of it, at least X3 had that fantastic scene in Jean Greys house and the Golden Gate Bridge bit, Bryan Singer managed to make not only a dull X-Men movie but a dull Superman one as well, a competent director he may be but he cant craft an action scene to save his life, although X2 is fantastic, go figure

Advertisement