Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight - Best Film Ever??

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

how was sin city a landmark in modern filmmaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

1. 3 directors
    2. Source material = comic = storyboard AND screenplay
    3. Scenes shot featuring actors who never met. Highlight: Marv's battle with Elijah's creepy silent serial killer. They met at the premiere.
    4. Full HD cameras plus digital backlots made this an almost-wholly digital film from start to finish
    5. Made 4 times its budget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i dont really see anything landmark about any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

hell no, its not even a good film. Its what a twelve year old would make if he were trying to be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Its not even the best Batman film ever.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Ah... the hype and hyperbole that TDK was getting back in July '08 is dead and now it's getting flak! Fair enough to be honest because it all got a bit silly...

No, TDK is not the best film ever, that's just not happening. I really liked it, I loved it but best film, no, no such thing as the best film. It might be a contender for best Superhero film, one of the best sequels... but not best film ever.

As a sequel it is great and doesn't feel like an imitation of it's predecessor but... of the two films I think Batman Begins feels less bloated and also feels more focused than TDK.

Also Bale's Batman voice is reigned in in BB and doesn't sound like he needs a Lemsip.

Looking forward to the third one if it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Personally speaking, it's one of my favourite films. It's rare that I feel as much enjoyment watching a film as I did watching TDK. That being said I do cringe ever so slightly when I see TDK topping best movies of all time lists because you can almost guarantee that the list was compiled by the same deranged fans who demanded that The Joker be retired from cinema forever in respect for Heath Ledger. It's not the best film ever made, it isn't even No.1 in my personal favourites and I adore the film.

I don't really pay attention to these definitive lists of "best ever" films because they are subjective, and you can almost guarantee that every person's list will feature varying films in different rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I couldnt put it on top of the best film of all time list and even trying make a list like that is impossible becasue it is very hard to even pick a personal top 10 because IMO it can change so often.

Great film but not worth the best film ever title.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

It's the best Batman film of all time.

It's not the best film of all time or even the best comic book film of all time.

Sin City, V for Vendetta and Iron Man are better than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

mechcit wrote: »
    I have seen on a number of websites (including www.flickchart.com) that The Dark Knight is the number one movie of all time. I find this hard to believe, it is a really good movie. However I find it hard to believe that it gets the title of best movie of all time.

Does any one else agree?
    Any one got any ideas for the top spot?

A couple of mine are:

Heat
    Donnie Darko
    Snatch
    The Last Samurai
    American History X
    Matrix (all three)
    12 Monkeys

I'm sorry but i'm sure this has been said in the thread already (i cant be arsed reading through it all) but you're arguement loses water when you put forward that p**s poor list of "Best Film Ever" alternatives.

All great movies indeed and some of my favourites, but none of those movies comes close to being the best ever.

In my opinion, The Dark Knight is pretty close. For me it has everything! And it is MY favourite of all time..... at the moment. However, next week it might the Goodfellas. The week after it might be Leon, the next it might be Schindler's List.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Dark Knight is a brilliant film, and one of my favourites. But best film ever? Even if a survey was done over a period of 10 years of all age groups, I doubt there'd be one film with a big enough margin over the rest to be able to call itself best film ever. Even then, The Dark Knight might not even break the top 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In things like IMDB's best film ever and community polls like that you need a combination of being insanely popular and being an excellent movie and when I look at the list of the top grossing movies of all time on Wikipedia I have to go down to the Lion King to find a movie I like more.

It's a great film and I'd have no problem with someone saying it's their favourite but their's no doubt that it benefitted from the death of Ledger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

TDK is a fantastic film but no way is the best ever. In terms of cinematography and cultural impact, I believe that honour must go to Look Who's Talking Too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

That voice on Bale ruined The Dark Knight for me but even apart from that it's not that good.

My favourite would have to be True Romance. It's got it all, Action, Comedy, Romance (obviously), excellent story line and a top notch cast.

That's just my favourite but really it's impossible to say what's best. Firstly, it should be broken up into many genres (sport, war, comedy, etc etc) and even then it can't really be done. what's the best ever scifi movie? I couldn't say Star Wars is better than Donnie Darko and I shouldn't have/want to.

Advertisement