Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talks Between Gov. and unions break down

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Firstly, you said 'guards earned more than both, (plumbers/carpenters) in the past decade.' I'm asking you, really? Can you show us with some links to actual facts?
    Now, I am in disbelief as I know a lot of tradesmen and one Guard personally. The impression I was given during the boom, (even though you switched it to the last two years in your post above) was that everybody in building was flying.
    So can you show me where you get Guards earning more than Plumbers and Carpenters during the boom?

carpenters , plumbers and labourers earned fantastic money during the building boom , im not denything that , my point is that guards done even better ( when you include pension benefits ) and for longer as they have yet to face a paycut unless you count the measley pension levy which is 4% with the tax write off

as for providing you with a link , i have no official data on what plumbers or electricians in the private sector were earning but if you want , i will be happy to provide you with a link as to what guards were earning

regarding your impression , impressions can be misleading and while public servants including guards never stop playing the poor mouth , young punks of carpenters and electricians were like rappers during the boom bragging about all they were earning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 akakeno

Irish Indo Saturday March 07 2009

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-pension-worth-836411m-1664588.html

"By Charlie Weston Personal Finance Editor

Saturday March 07 2009

THE cost of buying a garda's pension on the open market would amount to €1.1m, new figures reveal.

But the garda will only have contributed €110,000, or 10pc, to their pension even after the imposition of the pensions levy, according to research carried out by actuary Fiona Daly of Rubicon Investment Consulting.

This means that ordinary members of the force are effectively retiring as millionaires, pensions experts said.

The State will have provided 90pc of their pension pot, or €1m, once account is taken of tax relief, Ms Daly said.

Gardai are unusual in the public sector as they can retire on full pension at the age of 50. The calculations are based on a garda who joins the force after changes made to pensions arrangements in 1995 and retires on a salary of €52,822.

On retirement after 30 years the garda is entitled to a tax-free lump sum of €79,233, and an annual pension of €26,411.

Ms Daly said the value of this retirement lump sum was €1.12m, of which the State will have contributed €1m.

Pensions experts said the most an employer in the private sector was contributing to a employee's pension fund was 20pc.

"No-one in the public sector is contributing anything like the value of their pension fund, even after the pension levy is taken into account," Ms Daly said."

Not many trades people have a pension, retirement age of 50 or are guaranteed to be millionaires!

Advertisement