Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month old cat. is this too old?

Options
  • 04-12-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

My family is looking to adopt a cat for christmas and we were looking to get a male tabby kitten. I found a really nice one up for adoption, but its 3months old. Personally i think hes the cutest thing and want to take him, but my mom thinks its a bit too old to start out in a family.

does she speak truth? or would getting a 3 month old cat still be alright? its 14 weeks old, but still....

Its not like she has much choice. its not exactly kitten season now is it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Thats a prefect age! My friend got two kittens about that age and they are cutest things ever and although timid when she got them they are perfectly adapted now. It means the kitten would hae had good time with their mother as well so will have good cat manners. Lucly you getting a kitty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Not at all. We took in a 10 year old Tom that had been living rough and he settled fine with us and 2 dogs.

3 months is more than fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

3 months is a great age! Any age is a good age to get a new home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh absolutely perfect age! Hes still a kitten and will slot into the fam perfectly. Will be a little bit more wiley than an 8 week old but a few days and you'll be flying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

not at all too old, cats are lovely, but be prepared for a young kitten like this to be tearing the place down but their adorable and self cleaning......go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sounds like the perfect age to me, I got my cat at 6 months old, 7 years on and I've never looked back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said 3 months is a grand age, and to be honest any aged cat is fine given some time to settle in. Cats live from anything to 20 years sometimes a little more plenty of time for the kitten to settle in lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Perfect age. In my experience the longer a kitten has stayed with its mum, the better behaved they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

lubie76 wrote: »
    Perfect age. In my experience the longer a kitten has stayed with its mum, the better behaved they are.

I agree with this. You see some ridiculously young kittens being put up for sale/adoption (like 6 weeks) and it's way too young. I think you will find they go on to be more timid and nervous cats. 14 weeks is a perfect age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Last February we adopted a cat from ASH, he's an adult of approx 2-3 years.
    Although at first when we let him out, he used to go out and not come back all day, he soon caught on to the fact he could stay in all the time and just goes out for the loo now(my flower bed:rolleyes:) or to sit in the sun.
    We think he may have been an outdoor or mostly outdoor cat but used a litter tray and within a few weeks fitted in great with the dogs and our older cat(who wasn't impressed at first).
    I was worried he was too old to adapt but he's fantastic, and very loving.
    13 weeks is no age, I wouldn't take a kitten under 9 or 10 weeks anyway. He'll have learned all his manners and got to the really playful age.
    Best of luck and don't forget the pic's;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

Personally i wouldn't take a kitten under 12 weeks so the one you're looking at is a perfect age. I think they need that time before they leave their mother. My cat was 13 weeks when I got her, absolutely the right time.

Advertisement