Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema Dribble

Options
  • 04-12-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I am kind of getting sick of the dribble that seems to be in the Cinemas these days. I know movie makers are trying to make money, but most people these days do it by repeating proven money making combinations.
    animated stuff (like shrek, up, bee movie) and comedies that seem to feature the same six actors over and over again (forgetting sarah marshall, knocked up, 40 year old virgin, i could go on).

Why is no one out there pushing the boundaries of cinema and if they are why isn't it making it to the big screen anymore?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mechcit

A quote from Walt Disney seems to sum up why movies should be made.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.
    - Walt Disney

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Dribble?

phasers wrote: »
    Dribble?

Don't know? Replace the word "dribble" with "sh1te"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

mechcit wrote: »
    (like shrek, up, bee movie)

havnt seen bee movie but shrek is a classic and up is above average
    (forgetting sarah marshall, knocked up, 40 year old virgin, i could go on).

you just mentioned 3 brilliant comdies. who cares who is in them they are great. there isnt ahuge amount of cast crossover in those either and two of them were written and directed by the same guy
    Why is no one out there pushing the boundaries of cinema and if they are why isn't it making it to the big screen anymore?

paranormal activity was made for something stupid like 5Keuro and has made it to the cinema and is grossing hundreds of millions that sounds like pushing the boundaries to me

i do think the big budget action movies are seriously ****e these days tho

PeakOutput wrote: »

you just mentioned 3 brilliant comdies. who cares who is in them they are great. there isnt ahuge amount of cast crossover in those either and two of them were written and directed by the same guy

paranormal activity was made for something stupid like 5Keuro and has made it to the cinema and is grossing hundreds of millions that sounds like pushing the boundaries to me

i do think the big budget action movies are seriously ****e these days tho

Haven't seen it yet, might give it a look! Thanks.

• Advertisement

Didn't mean to include shrek as a bad movie, It was the one that started the trend of doing computer animated movies and it was the first one that came to mind. Im not saying that all animated movies are bad, its just that they all seem to follow the same basic idea. There are so many of these movies out there now that its hard to differentiate them from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

phasers wrote: »
    Dribble?

I assume they mean "drivel" - I'm seeing it more and more recently.

Another one to add to the list: dribble/drivel; loose/lose; their/there and so on.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I assume they mean "drivel" - I'm seeing it more and more recently.

Another one to add to the list: dribble/drivel; loose/lose; their/there and so on.

Sound out. A feel a little stupid now. I try to use correct english as best I can, oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seems to me Hollywood is only interested in making movies for 7 to 15 year olds. Thats where the money is.
    Same old thing year in year out, massive special effects, a blossoming romance throw in a couple of trendy pin-ups et voila you got a 'blockbuster'!!!
    Plot & script?.....pah! who cares?
    Yes there are exceptions but the big film companies are run by accountants & it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Sound out. A feel a little stupid now. I try to use correct english as best I can, oh well..

Not having a go at you or anything! :)

I think it happens a lot when people only hear a word used, but rarely see it in text, and there are a lot of examples of it used incorrectly, so people go with it.

I blame McG and Hollywood producers for giving us reason to use the word so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Seems to me Hollywood is only interested in making movies for 7 to 15 year olds. Thats where the money is.
    Same old thing year in year out, massive special effects, a blossoming romance throw in a couple of trendy pin-ups et voila you got a 'blockbuster'!!!
    Plot & script?.....pah! who cares?
    Yes there are exceptions but the big film companies are run by accountants & it shows.

ye gotta agree with this if you lokk back 15/20 years the films that stand out are not the kids films they are the godfathers the terminators etc

if the latest terminator with all its money and great cast was made for an 18+ audience it would have been ten times the movie it was

on the other hand i think television is going the other way which is a good thing obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MickBeth

I am kind of getting sick of the dribble that seems to be in the Cinemas these days. I know movie makers are trying to make money, but most people these days do it by repeating proven money making combinations.
    animated stuff (like shrek, up, bee movie) and comedies that seem to feature the same six actors over and over again (forgetting sarah marshall, knocked up, 40 year old virgin, i could go on).

Well, I'm Trying to Start a Bi-Weekly Cinema Club To find people who don't want to just Get stoned And look a the "krazzy lizard yokes" in Fear and Loathing......And Who Want To look up an On-line Dictionary. Not to be
    Pretencious but just to Have a laugh and to Discus Why as you said there is sutch Stagnencey in modern Cinema etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

if the latest terminator with all its money and great cast was made for an 18+ audience it would have been ten times the movie it was

In fairness, the script still would have been the sack of steaming **** it was, 18 rating or no 18 rating.

I don't buy this whole 'movies these days suck' argument. 15/20 years ago, there were **** films as well, just people only tend to remember the good stuff! The 00's has produced many exceptional films-A History of Violence, No Country, Divine Butterfly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I have to agree with the OP on this one, had a look at the cinema listings earlier (as today is cheap day for students) and there is pretty much nothing on in the cinema.

For shame.

It's just that anything with a brand name slapped on it people eat up, regardless of how good it is people will still fork out the cash to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭dblennon

I think that it is just the sheer volume of poor/ "i'm not spending a tenner to see that," movies out this year.

But there has been no shortage of good movies.

the last 2 months though has been particularly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP on this one, had a look at the cinema listings earlier (as today is cheap day for students) and there is pretty much nothing on in the cinema.
    I just browsed through a list of films available to see where I am and there's plenty of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SOD's Lovechild

If you change the title to multiplex drivel, the OP certainly has a point. Thankfully in Dublin we have the Screen, Lighthouse and IFI. Cineworld has enough screens to cater for occasional under the radar releases (even if they insist on calling the new Coen film a "discovery") but I wouldn't like to be depending on the shopping centre cinemas for my cinema fix.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I just browsed through a list of films available to see where I am and there's plenty of options.

Just wondering, apart from the new Coen brothers one, (which I went to see), what are these plenty you speak of?

Movies I haven't seen which are currently showing and would at least interest me if not being a must see:

A Serious Man
    An Education
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Me and Orson Welles
    Paper Heart
    Paranormal Activity
    The Cove
    The Girlfriend Experience
    The Informant
    The White Ribbon
    Thirst

And then you can add Where the Wild Things Are and The Limits of Control to that list next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

two films coming out soon are the lovely bones with looks like a very good show, and avatar which is probably a boundry defineing film, seeing as its the first 300 million dollar film, and was originally wroted in the mid ninties, it would wanna be great,

the lord of the rings i thought brought cinema up a peg in the last decade, i recently saw the a top ten list, lord of the rings was top (as the one film not a trilogy, which i alway think of it as one big film) which i think is right, then you had things like the 40 year old virgin, moulin rouge, and gladiator (which isnt even russell crowes best film,)

personally i think a top 10 is a very hard one to do, there were some excellent films made in the last 10 years, like the pianist, a beautiful mind, the jacket, the beach, into the wild, kill bill,etc etc,

thats 6 off the top of my head, took me less than 2 mins to think of them, think back over the decades, how many films stand out as top top films, not rewatchable films, but just brilliant films, i have sweet spots for a lot of films from the 80s onwards, but there not great films, there just films that are easily rewatchable,

there are a lot of films which will always slip through, soem gems that you'll watch 10-20 years after it released and just ask yourself how you missed it, i just recently saw shine for the first time, i was amazed by it, it was an excellent film geoffrey rush is entrancing in the film,

i wouldnt say that cinema has turned to drivel, but some of the recent "blockbusters" have a lot to live up to, but at the same time if the money wasnt raised by the mindlessness that was and still is transformers, other films like public enimies (which for some unknown reason bombed at the box office) wouldnt be made, as there wouldnt be funding for them, these mindless films allow studios to make some amazing films, beacause at the end of the year the books are in the black, so the studios are happy with what there collection of directors and producers have done, and allow them to be more creative, and for every michael bay and roland emerich, thers alway a peter jackson or martin scorsese

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭SOD's Lovechild

Public Enemies made $196 million. It was hardly a box office flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Hm, whats in the mainstream cinemas atm is a load of tripe, fortunately in Dublin there's the IFI, Screen, lighthouse etc as some has already pointed out, alternatively there's also Laser dvd - its a pity more of these sorts of cinemas/rental stores aren't around the country, there just isn't as much of a demand for them.

Public Enemies made $196 million. It was hardly a box office flop.
    true, i just checked it up, i remeber checking it when it initally came out in the first 2-3 weeks it had only made around $80 million, just saw as of november its worldwide gross was over $200 million, twice its production budget,

sorry for not double checking my figures

don ramo wrote: »

personally i think a top 10 is a very hard one to do, there were some excellent films made in the last 10 years, like the pianist, a beautiful mind, the jacket, the beach, into the wild, kill bill,etc etc,

Huh??? The Beach???? ......Kill Bill!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Ok the beach isnt a bad movie, its well made & has a brilliant soundtrack. But Kill Bill is one of Tarantino's weakest efforts.

Huh??? The Beach???? ......Kill Bill!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Ok the beach isnt a bad movie, its well made & has a brilliant soundtrack. But Kill Bill is one of Tarantino's weakest efforts.
    really a matter of personel opinion, i personally think its his best,

i thought it was brilliantly shot, a great properly thought out story, that was brilliantly executed, every caracter that mattered (and probably didnt) was fleshed out, you understood there motives for what they did,

the beach probably isnt di caprios best, but it is the film that made take him seriously as an outstanding actor, and its easily danny boyles best film, my personal opinion,

also just saw law abiding citizen tonight, excellent show, seemed a very original storyline, with most actors playing there parts superbly, not really a fan of jamie foxx but must say he was well above average in this film,

beats probably 85% of films released this year, must say 2009 has been a dissapointing year in film, even though its been a record year in the american box office with $9.6 billion made so far this year, and avatar will probably push it over tha $10 billion mark,

really goes to show people will watch anything, anything

don ramo wrote: »
    really a matter of personel opinion, i personally think its his best,

i thought it was brilliantly shot, a great properly thought out story, that was brilliantly executed, every caracter that mattered (and probably didnt) was fleshed out, you understood there motives for what they did,

the beach probably isnt di caprios best, but it is the film that made take him seriously as an outstanding actor, and its easily danny boyles best film, my personal opinion,

Yes i agree its down to personal taste. Kill Bill is a love it or hate it movie, obviously i assume the latter preference. IMHO pulp fiction (yes i know everyone loves it) is his finest work.

I always liked The beach. If you can get past di caprio's annoying voice & the stupid girl group pop song associated with it, its actually a brilliant interpretation of the book.
    Personally i think de creepio's best performance was in the 1993 movie This Boys Life.

A Serious Man
    An Education
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Me and Orson Welles
    Paper Heart
    Paranormal Activity
    The Cove
    The Informant
    The White Ribbon
    Thirst

Good for you that they are currently showing some films that you want to see. Where I am the cinema listing is as follows....

Twilight New Moon
    Law Abiding Citizen
    A Christmas Carol
    Nativity
    Up
    The Fantastic Mr Fox
    A Serious Man
    Paranormal Activity
    Situations Vacant

Ughh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Movies I haven't seen which are currently showing and would at least interest me if not being a must see:

A Serious Man
    An Education
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Me and Orson Welles
    Paper Heart
    Paranormal Activity
    The Cove
    The Informant
    The White Ribbon
    Thirst

And then you can add Where the Wild Things Are and The Limits of Control to that list next week.

Indeed - there are plenty of films out there if you're interested (and, unfortunately, if you live in the Dublin area). The two Soderburghs (Informant/Girlfriend Experience), Fantastic Mr. Fox, White Ribbon, Thirst, A Serious Man and The Cove are all fantastic (or at least very interesting) films.

It is a shame that there is a lot of tripe in multiplexes rather than a more balanced selection, but it seems like this is the way it will always be :( It must be said there there are very few worthwhile wide releases at the moment - especially when stuff like Situations Vacant (the trailer looks absolutely horrendous) are clogging up screens.

• Advertisement

Exactly, I think there's plenty of quality films being produced at the moment (one can't expect a master piece to be released every weekend) but the problem lies with the distribution of these films.

I can't see it changing for anyone relying on the multiplexes.

Advertisement