Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 BALL AMMO

Options
  • 04-12-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    About 5 years ago I bought a few boxes of Gamebore "Special Game" or SG shotgun cartridges. Used them on foxes. They had 8 pellets in each cartridge, I think they would be 000 buckshot?
    Does anyone out there know if they can still be got? The local gunshop says the distributers he uses does not stock them any more.
    Cheers, Mack in Cavan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Better off with BB's or if you want bigger AAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

remington do a buck shot with 11/0 (8.6). There are 9 pellets in each shell 33.5 grams one hellofa bang:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

4gun wrote: »
    remington do a buck shot with 11/0 (8.6). There are 9 pellets in each shell 33.5 grams one hellofa bang:D

No anywhere that stocks it? Or any other large-shot type cartridges, need to reach out a bit longer to catch a few charlies around my way. Local RFD only sells birdshot and airgun pellets :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

No anywhere that stocks it? Or any other large-shot type cartridges, need to reach out a bit longer to catch a few charlies around my way. Local RFD only sells birdshot and airgun pellets :rolleyes:
    Got mine in landers in tralee, dont
    Know if he'll post it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

4gun wrote: »
    Got mine in landers in tralee, dont
    Know if he'll post it though

No worries, have gun will travel :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Thanks everyone! I should have said that I am in Cavan, so anywhere nearer than Tralee?
    Nigel

Try James McBride in Athlone, Ballykeeran Sports, got an advert in the Digest or can be Googled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

8 ball is double ought[00]. triple aught [000] is 16 ball.16 ball is the better charlie load.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Hi everyone,
    About 5 years ago I bought a few boxes of Gamebore "Special Game" or SG shotgun cartridges. Used them on foxes. They had 8 pellets in each cartridge, I think they would be 000 buckshot?
    Does anyone out there know if they can still be got? The local gunshop says the distributers he uses does not stock them any more.
    Cheers, Mack in Cavan

Eley make a buck shot called AAA, it holds 45/50x 5.2mm round balls, better than OO buck as it groups better, thats what I've found anyway, hit a fox once with it and it actual broke his legs in two with the impact,
    Theirs a Winchester XXXX number four 3"inch magnum load 52gram, and it is awsome, truly is, the pellets are more like an UK/ English 3 and they are hard copper plated with buffer material added, this stuff is very expensive but if you really need to try killing foxes at 80 yards this is the stuff, use a semi auto or pump and hit the fox three times in a row and it just wears them down to dead, If I remember right recoil with this stuff is about the same as a 375 Holland and holland, barrel flips is bananas! The smaller pellets give a better group at longer ranges. Remember to aim about 8" inches high to allow for drop. I learnt how to do this from the Australian fox hunting video whistling with foxes, and it really does work. 80 yards is a really long distance for a twelve gauge shotgun.

Either way remember if you use any size of buck shot never to fire it into the air as it can cause damage coming back to earth.

Full choke isnt the best for buck shot or large pellets of any type, you'll get better patterns with half/modified choke as it doesent damage/ burst the pattern on bigger balls of lead like full choke does, also cylinder choke gives crap patterns with any buck shot. OO buck fails to pattern well after 25 yards either way, and it tends to string out horizontally given very long distances.

Buckshot would really be for Deer sized stuff, but that would be illegal.

Down here in Kerry the most common 12 gauge load used for foxes is BB = 100x or so pellets that are about 4.4 mm wide, I once saw a fox hit with an 8 that had tha mange, big ball of fur flew off the poor crater and it died on the spot, half dead already I guess.

Good shooting

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

80 yards is a really long distance for a twelve gauge shotgun.
    You are into slug terrority there in that case.

Either way remember if you use any size of buck shot never to fire it into the air as it can cause damage coming back to earth.

That goes for any projectiles!!!Not just buck shot.Been peppered with falling birdshot as well in my time.
    , also cylinder choke gives crap patterns with any buck shot. OO buck fails to pattern well after 25 yards either way, and it tends to string out horizontally given very long distances.

Well considering it is only 8 .32 cal pellets.:pac:

Buckshot would really be for Deer sized stuff, but that would be illegal
    Or wild swine. Known as Sauroller [pig rollers] on the Continent.They are ideal in forest for boar.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    You are into slug territory there in that case.

'Cept slugs are now restricted ammo ;)

I dunno, I really wouldn't advise a lot of ranges that are being discussed here about shotguns and foxes. It's going to get forgotten about and new shooters will come on and read about it and lead to some injured and lamp shy charlies wandering around the country side.

I've patterned bigger shot than AAA specifically for fox and my honest opinion is that it's ****e. The reason that it's ****e is past very short distances say 25 yards huge gaps open up in the pattern that'll either allow the shot to completely miss the fox or injure it to one extent or another, which doesn't ensure a kill which is the aim of the game in the first place.

The larger pellets I'm sure retain plenty of power compared to the smaller pellets, but, like Saddams Scud missiles way back, big boom is worth **** all if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

I think if a person is desperate to get a fox they need to do more thinking than shooting. Can't you get in range some how, find his path, ambush him. Call in someone with a centrefire rifle if it comes to it. The WCS Collarum is a new spring type snare that may be an idea to look at.

Shotguns are extremely useful tools against fox but they should be used properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a good combo. Shooter with CF rifle, Lampman carrying Shotty with AAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

johngalway wrote: »
    'Cept slugs are now restricted ammo ;)

I dunno, I really wouldn't advise a lot of ranges that are being discussed here about shotguns and foxes. It's going to get forgotten about and new shooters will come on and read about it and lead to some injured and lamp shy charlies wandering around the country side.

I've patterned bigger shot than AAA specifically for fox and my honest opinion is that it's ****e. The reason that it's ****e is past very short distances say 25 yards huge gaps open up in the pattern that'll either allow the shot to completely miss the fox or injure it to one extent or another, which doesn't ensure a kill which is the aim of the game in the first place.

The larger pellets I'm sure retain plenty of power compared to the smaller pellets, but, like Saddams Scud missiles way back, big boom is worth **** all if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

I think if a person is desperate to get a fox they need to do more thinking than shooting. Can't you get in range some how, find his path, ambush him. Call in someone with a centrefire rifle if it comes to it. The WCS Collarum is a new spring type snare that may be an idea to look at.

Shotguns are extremely useful tools against fox but they should be used properly.

Yes, I agree, it's not good to be missing foxes and putting them wise, I'd suggest that if you wana push the distance of a shotgun, then pattern it before you go hunting, it's poor sportsmanship winging game, even vermin, it's best to only take a shot if you feel you'll get a clean kill.

I suppose 40 to 50 yards would be the standard killing distance with ordinary BB's for foxes.

I know this is about shotguns, but in my opinion the point 22 long rifle rimfire calibre is not a proper fox round, when hunting with a 22lr b/a rifle I confine myself to head or neck shots out to only 35 yards. The ordinary twenty two is great for rabbits and targets, I like using it on foxes cause it means I have to use more skill and bring them in for that close shot, this allows quite often another shot on his buddy as the first shot is quite. But shooting foxes at 100 yards in the arse so that they die slowly isnt on.

HJ:)

Advertisement