Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A call to all the unemployed

Options
  • 04-12-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

The government has stood up to the unions,finally something positive.
    Perhaps we would have been subject to bigger cuts in welfare if this had not been done.
    The government must be supported in this action at all costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

In all fairness, the social welfare bill is WAY to big! The dole should be reduced by a minimum of 20%.
    It's simply not sustainable at current levels. I've heard no convincing arguments for keeping the dole at its current levels! Unless someone here has any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Means test all dole recipients

Dave! wrote: »

So punish the people who have actually paid for their dole contributions?

JSB should be kept at the full amount (pre budget cut).

JSA should be cut in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

dole is too high for starters, who is to say it wont be cut?

too many non nationals being fed, clothed, etc on benefits?

too many people going up north, people on the dole going up and spending there money on groceries etc because it is cheaper, gov should be trying to do something about this, its basically giving the irish money into the UKs hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

corglass wrote: »
    In all fairness, the social welfare bill is WAY to big! The dole should be reduced by a minimum of 20%.
    It's simply not sustainable at current levels. I've heard no convincing arguments for keeping the dole at its current levels! Unless someone here has any?

The argument for not reducing it, and it's inevitable that it will be reduced, is try living on it.

No, really, do. I don't want or need a reply to this post, just try it, say for one month.

And, no, I'm not on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Do the exact opposite. If people have paid in, no means test. If they havent, reduce the dole anyway. PArtic. for under 25s who haven't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

AdrianII wrote: »
    dole is too high for starters, who is to say it wont be cut?

too many non nationals being fed, clothed, etc on benefits?

too many people going up north, people on the dole going up and spending there money on groceries etc because it is cheaper, gov should be trying to do something about this, its basically giving the irish money into the UKs hands

first of all - have u ever tried to live on 204.30 euros pw, paying rent bills etc and feed your kids????????? if you had u would never say anything such ridiculous as this ... I do so I know what that means when u have to count every penny ...

and as for shopping in UK - YES if I have lived nearer the border I would absolutely shop there ... UK has VAT " 15% when Ireland has it " 21,5% - do u spot the difference?????????????????

and btw - there are much more Irish sitting on doles for decades .... cut them first !

Thats the part I love. Irish people spending their dole across the border, and people from the north coming across the border to try get the dole :D

Lirael wrote: »
    first of all - have u ever tried to live on 204.30 euros pw, paying rent bills etc and feed your kids????????? if you had u would never say anything such ridiculous as this ... I do so I know what that means when u have to count every penny ...

and as for shopping in UK - YES if I have lived nearer the border I would absolutely shop there ... UK has VAT " 15% when Ireland has it " 21,5% - do u spot the difference?????????????????

If you have kids, rent and bills you're getting far more than 204.30 per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pidgion

just a few thoughts firstly the u/b or u/a is means tested and is your answer to stop people from getting the best value for there few quid people would not go up north if this government had half a brain between them all when everyone else cut tax rates our brains decided to increase it and the vat so i do not begrudge any one getting the best value for there money when our government wont give you any ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

corglass wrote: »

cut it by 50%

have tried living on it, and yes it is very tough, but there are others who abuse the dole.

As for shopping in the UK, the country is in the crap at the moment, people should be spending there money down here, there is no point in the gov paying wages and dole then to see it spent over teh border. They need to do something about this fast, people going up north are doing nothing to help the country

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It would be hugely unfair to expect welfare payments not to be cut as much as they're expected to be just because of todays breakdown of talks

the money saved on PS wages should not mean that those on the dole will avoid cuts

I hope fuel and care allowances etc for the elderly are not touched though, that would just be low

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

no I don't, I get just 204.30 pw

Wy wouldnt you get childs allowance, and rent allowance etc.?

no I don't, I get just 204.30 pw

If the dole is your only household income then you're entitled to alot more.

have tried living on it, and yes it is very tough, but there are others who abuse the dole.

As for shopping in the UK, the country is in the crap at the moment, people should be spending there money down here, there is no point in the gov paying wages and dole then to see it spent over teh border. They need to do something about this fast, people going up north are doing nothing to help the country

excuse me - but is the country helping them?? no, so why would they help the gvt?

use just simple maths ... there is 6,5% in price difference, so I could buy more for less ... it's simple logic in the tough times ...

I have lived in a postcomunist country and I still remember what it means when u cannot afford ie a simple toy for your kid...

So punish the people who have actually paid for their dole contributions?

JSB should be kept at the full amount (pre budget cut).

JSA should be cut in half.

Get rid of that mindset, nobody is being 'punished', no more than they're being 'rewarded' with the full amount if they've paid taxes for years. It's about keeping the country afloat.

I live with my parents and have no children of my own, yet I get the full amount. I know plenty of people in the same boat, most just finished college. What do they need €200 a week for?

I live with my parents and have no children of my own, yet I get the full amount. I know plenty of people in the same boat, most just finished college. What do they need €200 a week for?

It doesnt matter. The Dole means nothing if it doesnt tide people over for a while. It is a social insurance. People pay in, they should get out regardless of means - like any other insurance.

In your case there may a reason to cut if people are living at home - in fact that used to be the case for the non-means testes version. Happened to me innediately after college. I lived at home. No dole.

i just hope that the few of ye that are talking about cutting them by 20% to 50% never have to depend on the measly few quid that the unemployed get and are supposed to make ends meet and live with some degree of pride i now a lot of good people on the dole who went thru college and done there trade to find themselfs with F/all its the narrow minded of ye that have never went without that looks for these things hope it allways stays good for ye

• Advertisement

excuse me - but is the country helping them?? no, so why would they help the gvt?

is the govt not giving them money / benefit payments, is this not helping them

look im not judging anyone on what they do/ where they spend they money. Im just stating my opinion, which is, the people that recieve benefits / people that have jobs and then spend there money up north and then give out about the gov and the state of the country at the moment is when they are taking the irish money that SHOULD be re invested in the irish economy, it doesnt make sense

is the govt not giving them money / benefit payments, is this not helping them

look im not judging anyone on what they do/ where they spend they money. Im just stating my opinion, which is, the people that recieve benefits / people that have jobs and then spend there money up north and then give out about the gov and the state of the country at the moment is when they are taking the irish money that SHOULD be re invested in the irish economy, it doesnt make sense

oh I agree with you, so for me the Irish gvrt is commiting a suicide not doing just a simple thing as cutting VAT rates for example, that would help a lot more than cutting doles .... and would probably make excursions to UK less frequent ...

asdasd wrote: »
    It doesnt matter. The Dole means nothing if it doesnt tide people over for a while. It is a social insurance. People pay in, they should get out regardless of means - like any other insurance.

In your case their may a reason to cut if people are living at home - in fact that used to be the case for the non-means testes version. Happened to me innediately after college. I lived at home. No dole.

It does tide people over, most people living with their parents don't need €200 a week. €150 would do fine.

I don't see why it should be the case that they pay in and get out regardless. Surely it's the case that we all pay taxes, they go into the coffers and are used and distributed by our elected government in a prudent manner.

In the current economic climate it would be prudent to reduce SW payments for those who do not need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Fact.
    2 kids plus 1adult = 256 a week x 4 = €1024
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510
    minus rent: €1100

Total= €410

PW: €102.50

I am unemployed since June 2009. I have worked & paid full, high rate taxes for 16 years. Im not a scounger, Im not a waster & im certainly not a tosser. I didnt choose social welfare. Circumstances change for everyone & no one knows what is around the corner for their own circumstances. Its very easy to say slash SW but try living on it to actually realise €102.50 literly goes no where.

Not a lot really is it.

why hit the lowest paid ?? why arent the big boys taking the cuts remember 10% of there money is more often than not a months money for someone on the DOLE how much have the bankers /the tds /the big building contractors /the banks/bankmanagers been cut nothing they started the problem and its left to the eejit on the dole to suffer and pay it back and bail them out again and no offence to anyone by me saying eejit on the dole

jenzz wrote: »
    Fact.
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510

Total= €410

Not a lot really is it.

i don't get rent supplement so i actually live on 50 euro pw :/

and i don't get increase for my kids ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Fact.
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510

Total= €410

Not a lot really is it.

To put some perspective on your arguement, thats about the same as i earn a in month working 5 days a week.

And no one is paying my rent.

Maybe I should have some kids I cant afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

asdasd wrote: »
    because of the rent which is falling.

You do reliase what 1510 PW is per year?

Work out what a worker would have to make to get that net.

EDIT:

Let me do it.

1510 * 52 = 78,520. Probably need to be on 100K to earn that.

€256 a week, 4 weeks in a month, €1510 net income PER MONTH less rent 1100, € 410 per month, divide by 4 weeks, average €102.50 per week. That was in response to the previous poster who said you get a lot more money than €204 per week. You dont

judas101 wrote: »
    To put some perspective on your arguement, thats about the same as i earn a in month working 5 days a week.

And no one is paying my rent.

Maybe I should have some kids I cant afford

Exactly.

2 parents and 2 kids with social welfare as the only income works out at over 40K a year. How anyone can justify that is beyond me.

Before any more people make the assumption that I want all social welfare cut by 50% - I don't. Job seekers BENEFIT is what you get when you've paid your contributions and should remain unchanged.
    Job seekers ALLOWANCE is what you get when you've been on the dole for 1 year+ or have simply just been on the dole your whole life having contributed nothing.

I'm saying that Job seekers ALLOWANCE should be cut by 50%.

The dole is supposed to be a stop gap to help you back onto your feet, not a lifestyle choice.

• Advertisement

€256 a week, 4 weeks in a month, €1510 net income PER MONTH less rent 1100, € 410 per month, divide by 4 weeks, average €102.50 per week. That was in response to the previous poster who said you get a lot more money than €204 per week. You dont

Rent somewhere cheaper?
    1100 a month is more than a lot of peoples mortgages..

Advertisement