Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A call to all the unemployed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

judas101 wrote: »
    To put some perspective on your arguement, thats about the same as i earn a in month working 5 days a week.

And no one is paying my rent.

Maybe I should have some kids I cant afford

What has having kids got to do with it ?

Kids were born when I worked. I have always worked - bar since June this year when I LOST MY JOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they have to eat too, & have a roof over their heads & have a uniform on going to school. Now they dont need Mcdonalds & they dont need designer shoes on their feet - which they dont get !! But they need the basics which cost money.

Are people under some big huge illusion out there that all the people on SW choose it??? Like we twaddle down the social & say here Ill have a go of this thingy??

You know that big RECESSION out there ? Banks, Nama whatever you want to argue about - We unemployed did not chose to lose our jobs. getting pretty browned off with people thinking we woke up one morning & just decided we would go on the dole for a while !!

I really wish none of ye lose your jobs & god forbid have to "try" the social out for a while.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Rent somewhere cheaper?
    1100 a month is more than a lot of peoples mortgages..

Your missing the point - people say we get loads more money - we dont - Thats it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Lirael wrote: »
    i don't get rent supplement so i actually live on 50 euro pw :/

and i don't get increase for my kids ...

I really don't want to pry into your personal life but you opened the door with your statements.

You have to explain your situation as there is no way you are only getting 204 a week if you have kids and your partner is not working. Unless of course you are being means tested and are loaded.

Or maybe your a young girl who lives at home with her folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

Ok, cut the dole by 50%.. this means however many people ont he dole (a fair few) will have less to spend in good ole republic shops, local ammenities, public transport etc etc... meaning 50% reduction of services provided and no doubt meaning thousands of people will loose jobs... raise the dole by 50% and stimulate the economy and create more jobs.. yeehaaa lol x

It is ridiculous that some people are suggesting cutting the dole by 50%, 20% even.. imagine working for years, only to be unemployed in the last few weeks (like hundreds of people in this country because the government has done nothing to save or create jobs) and suggest to those poor buggers that the measly dole should be cut by 50%... what planet are people living on???? doh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think Job Seekers benefit should be much higher, like in other countries it should be a % of former salary.

Some people are on Job Seekers Allowance for years however. We had to import 100s of thousands of immigrants to sweep our floors, yet we still had 250,000 Irish people drawing the dole. I'd love to know why we continue to pay this group of people who are obviously unwilling to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

Dave! wrote: »
    Get rid of that mindset, nobody is being 'punished', no more than they're being 'rewarded' with the full amount if they've paid taxes for years. It's about keeping the country afloat.

I live with my parents and have no children of my own, yet I get the full amount. I know plenty of people in the same boat, most just finished college. What do they need €200 a week for?

approx;

total weekly income 265euro (dole + rent allowance)

110euro/week - rent + household bills
    50euro/week - food
    40euro/week - clothes, misc items
    40euro/week - my personal allowance
    20euro/week- left in bank for times such as christmas, birthdays, unforssen circumstances

people need that money to live. however cost of living and government expences must come down so i think a 20-30euro cut would be far.

louisa200 wrote: »
    Ok, cut the dole by 50%.. this means however many people ont he dole (a fair few) will have less to spend in good ole republic shops, local ammenities, public transport etc etc... meaning 50% reduction of services provided and no doubt meaning thousands of people will loose jobs... raise the dole by 50% and stimulate the economy and create more jobs.. yeehaaa lol x

It is ridiculous that some people are suggesting cutting the dole by 50%, 20% even.. imagine working for years, only to be unemployed in the last few weeks (like hundreds of people in this country because the government has done nothing to save or create jobs) and suggest to those poor buggers that the measly dole should be cut by 50%... what planet are people living on???? doh

Why not continue with your logic and double the dole. Hell, triple it......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jenzz wrote: »
    Fact.
    2 kids plus 1adult = 256 a week x 4 = €1024
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510
    minus rent: €1100

Total= €410

PW: €102.50

How can the CWO award only €486 rent supplement for such a high rent of €1100?
    There are rent thresholds and you are supposed to contribute only €24 per week yourself
    There is something missing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭louisa200

MaceFace wrote: »
    Why not continue with your logic and double the dole. Hell, triple it......

Why not!!! but only give it in tokens that can be redeemed in the republic lol.. I should be in the dail.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Just how stupid are people?How much exactly do people think the country can save by cutting the dole from 200 to whatever.
    Typical public sector foundation level maths,not a clue about anything economic except their paycheck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

and as for shopping in UK - YES if I have lived nearer the border I would absolutely shop there ... UK has VAT " 15% when Ireland has it " 21,5% - do u spot the difference?????????????????

The difference is a mere 6.5% and from January the UK VAT rate is going back to 17.5% (some say 20%) as the cut in their VAT was a failure as it was not passed on to consumers. Exactly the same happened here when VAT was cut from 21% to 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

MaceFace wrote: »
    I really don't want to pry into your personal life but you opened the door with your statements.

You have to explain your situation as there is no way you are only getting 204 a week if you have kids and your partner is not working. Unless of course you are being means tested and are loaded.

Or maybe your a young girl who lives at home with her folks?

no I am not living with folks and not means tested

I don't get increase as it went to my husband but he is not working full time as he is in construction and has frequent lay offs

I don't get RS as I haven't applied for it yet as I am having trouble with the council getting an assesment letter from them which is neccessary and I am waiting for it a year ...

I don't complain but I think it is unfair to blame unemployed for the current downturn and request approval of cut offs from them 'coz the real reason of it lies somewhere else ...

I would be happy if I could come back to work as sitting at home is just fruitless and makes my chances to find job dropping the longer I stay at home ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

To get back on point,the minute the public sector are ordered to march we must lauch a counter march to show our support and the like.
    The government must know that they have our full support in this.It will save the dole in the long run and make next years round of cuts on the public sector easier than this years have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

To the mindless posters insinuating that its the lads on the dole going north to do their shopping:
    Most people on the dole cant afford the travel expense to go north of the border to stock up on groceries..
    Iirc wasn't the public sector strike only 2 weeks ago that coincided with a record amount of shoppers flooding Newry with business?
    You've got real short memories folks. Give the people (like myself) who are out of work recently a break for gods sake. None of us want to be on the dole, and are breaking our bollocks' trying to get a job. Its no god damned gravy train. Ridiculous.

I don't complain but I think it is unfair to blame unemployed for the current downturn and request approval of cut offs from them 'coz the real reason of it lies somewhere else ...

I would be happy if I could come back to work as sitting at home is just fruitless and makes my chances to find job dropping the longer I stay at home ...

No one blames the unemployed.... don't ya know its the public sector, no wait, the private sector, or actually, is it the dole bludgers?

excuse me - but is the country helping them?? no, so why would they help the gvt?

use just simple maths ... there is 6,5% in price difference, so I could buy more for less ... it's simple logic in the tough times ...

I have lived in a postcomunist country and I still remember what it means when u cannot afford ie a simple toy for your kid...

The country is helping them by paying them a dole rate three times that of the UK!!!

Does a mere 6.5% cover transport costs and from January the difference will only be 4% or perhaps 1.5% in VAT rates.

Anyone who shops outside the state has absolutely no basis to complain about welfare or child benfits cuts as they are directly contributing to the cuts by their actions.

snubbleste wrote: »
    How can the CWO award only €486 rent supplement for such a high rent of €1100?
    There are rent thresholds and you are supposed to contribute only €24 per week yourself
    There is something missing here.
    [/I]

I think its "you must" contribute at least €24 yourself; from what I can figure out its not all that you pay . They dont pay it all not that I would expect them to. But the rent supplement thing is so difficult to work out as it appears they means test the means test nearly. I think the reason I get that amount is I technically am entitled to one parent family supplement which when the add that to my SW & then means test all that, the €486 is the amount I am entitled based on that. The problem is that one parent family applic is in the " system" 18 weeks & has yet to be processed . So the CWO has to base the means for rent supp on all income & the 1 parent will be backdated so is classed technically income.
    Hope I explained that well enough.

Im not complaining about they income I receive from the state. All I mean is that to cut it would be a further struggle to many people & many narrow minded people belive we get too much money. Unless people are living on this income they dont know how difficult it is to live on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Fact.
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510

Total= €410

I am unemployed since June 2009. I have worked & paid full, high rate taxes for 16 years. Im not a scounger, Im not a waster & im certainly not a tosser. I didnt choose social welfare. Circumstances change for everyone & no one knows what is around the corner for their own circumstances. Its very easy to say slash SW but try living on it to actually realise €102.50 literly goes no where.

Not a lot really is it.

Ah move to a cheaper place....

People sometimes....

pidgion wrote: »
    why hit the lowest paid ?? why arent the big boys taking the cuts remember 10% of there money is more often than not a months money for someone on the DOLE how much have the bankers /the tds /the big building contractors /the banks/bankmanagers been cut nothing they started the problem and its left to the eejit on the dole to suffer and pay it back and bail them out again and no offence to anyone by me saying eejit on the dole

They are, a mere 4% of tax payers contribute a huge 48% of income tax.

If the 'eejit on the dole' couldnt find work prior to 2008, then s/he deserves nothing

no I am not living with folks and not means tested

I don't get increase as it went to my husband but he is not working full time as he is in construction and has frequent lay offs

I don't get RS as I haven't applied for it yet as I am having trouble with the council getting an assesment letter from them which is neccessary and I am waiting for it a year ...

+1 on the assessment letters. I am waiting 5 months for mine. The only reason I managed to get rent supp was my CWO took pity on me. The local corporation must do an environmental assessment on the house. My local corp refused to accept my applic as they had no one to accept it ( ie no staff). The head of the corporation happens to be a local TD so the CWO contacted him. Still no assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

[/I]

I think its "you must" contribute at least €24 yourself; from what I can figure out its not all that you pay . They dont pay it all not that I would expect them to. But the rent supplement thing is so difficult to work out as it appears they means test the means test nearly. I think the reason I get that amount is I technically am entitled to one parent family supplement which when the add that to my SW & then means test all that, the €486 is the amount I am entitled based on that. The problem is that one parent family applic is in the " system" 18 weeks & has yet to be processed . So the CWO has to base the means for rent supp on all income & the 1 parent will be backdated so is classed technically income.
    Hope I explained that well enough.

Im not complaining about they income I receive from the state. All I mean is that to cut it would be a further struggle to many people & many narrow minded people belive we get too much money. Unless people are living on this income they dont know how difficult it is to live on it.

No, each co council has a maximum weekly rate to which they'll contribute to rent, usually between 100 and 150, and you have to find the rest yourself... The 24 is for instance if your rent was just 100 a week they'd give you 86 and you pay 24

pidgion wrote: »
    i just hope that the few of ye that are talking about cutting them by 20% to 50% never have to depend on the measly few quid that the unemployed get and are supposed to make ends meet and live with some degree of pride i now a lot of good people on the dole who went thru college and done there trade to find themselfs with F/all its the narrow minded of ye that have never went without that looks for these things hope it allways stays good for ye

No, the dole should be based on contribution, i.e. those who worked, and have lost their jobs, should get 70-80% of salary for up to 24 months, after that a tiered system, whereby the longer a healthy person stays on the dole the less they get; and those who have contributed nothing, get the lowest rate unless they complete education and/or community work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Fact.
    rent supp= €486 pm

Total= €1510

Total= €410

Something does not look right there. Your rent is €1100, but yet your rent supplement is only €486.

Example : If your living in Dublin, the max rent you can pay to be eligable for rent supp is €1110. For someone in your position,1 adult, 2 kids, the max amount you should be contributing to the rent is €24pw ( or €104 pcm).

This should put your rent supplement at €1100 minus €104 = €996pm.

The only way your rent supp would be lower than this is if you have another source of income which you did not mention above.

skearon wrote: »
    The country is helping them by paying them a dole rate three times that of the UK!!!

Does a mere 6.5% cover transport costs and from January the difference will only be 4% or perhaps 1.5% in VAT rates.

Anyone who shops outside the state has absolutely no basis to complain about welfare or child benfits cuts as they are directly contributing to the cuts by their actions.

probably u are right but I am not convinced that the fact they shop in UK is really leading to further cuts in welfare

mind that dunnes stores, tesco, debenhams, M&S are really not Irish shops though they operate in ROI, they pay taxes here but mostly the money go abroad

Ah move to cheaper place....

People sometimes....

Thats unfair.

€900-€1000 is the cheapest - for a 1 bed apt in my town. I cannot move in here as the system wont allow it. As in - the corp wont approve it for rent supp as a 1 bed aprt with 2 kids ,boy & girl will be sexual overcrowding. Sorry I dont make the rules the " system" does!!! Its not as simple as move !

I have taken my car off the road as I cant afford it - I dont expect the tax payer to keep me in a car. So we walk everywhere & to school. As the children have to attend school i cant move to the next town to save €100 on rent a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Anyone on JSA during the boom should have their welfare cut. Those that have been made unemployed in the past few years, having spent years paying taxes to the Exchequer, should be excluded from cuts.

probably u are right but I am not convinced that the fact they shop in UK is really leading to further cuts in welfare

It's causing cuts in everything at €865m will be spent outside the state this year, the country is bringing in tax levels at 2003 rates, yet spending at 2008 rates; every euro lost has an effect, its simple mathematics.

Duiske wrote: »
    Something does not look right there. Your rent is €1100, but yet your rent supplement is only €486.

Example : If your living in Dublin, the max rent you can pay to be eligable for rent supp is €1110. For someone in your position,1 adult, 2 kids, the max amount you should be contributing to the rent is €24pw ( or €104 pcm).

This should put your rent supplement at €1100 minus €104 = €996pm.

The only way your rent supp would be lower than this is if you have another source of income which you did not mention above.

"When the Community Welfare Officer calculates your of level Rent Supplement they will reduce it by €24, this is because you must pay at least €24 towards your rent. You may pay more than €24 because you are also required to contribute any additional assessable means that you have over and above the appropriate basic SWA rate towards your rent. "

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/RentSupplement.aspx

The only other source of income is the impending one parent family applic in the system. This increase the income although i havent received it But this is all from an earlier post where I just broke down the facts of social welfare payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

asdasd wrote: »
    Do the exact opposite. If people have paid in, no means test. If they havent, reduce the dole anyway. PArtic. for under 25s who haven't worked.

I fully agree
    all age groups not just under 25
    Those who have not worked and paid PRSI, should have the dole cut according to the length of time they have been receiving dole
    the longer you receive the bigger the cut

• Advertisement

baubl wrote: »
    I fully agree
    all age groups not just under 25
    Those who have not worked and paid PRSI, should have the dole cut according to the length of time they have been receiving dole
    the longer you receive the bigger the cut

that would be fair ...

but what would you with those who were on the dole 10-20 years??? and they didn't even pretend they were seeking employment ...

i would ban them for a few years but how would they survive ... this would lead directly to much more homeless just as in US ... and more crime ...

I would say that those who leave college and live with parents shouldn't be entitled to any support unless they worked at least 2 years as every other single person applying for JB/JA

Advertisement