Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Link Ticketing - Galway Dublin

Options
  • 04-12-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

Quick question:

Does anyone know if I book a ticket online from Galway to Dublin, if someone else can use it? The only place it seems to ask for a name is the card details?

I'm trying to book a ticket for someone else.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Ya I've booked tickets for other people and there's never been a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shouldn't be an issue unless you book as a student for a non-student or similar scenario. Bus drivers never asked me for ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks guys....but....

I'm a he, and she's a she.

Did either of you book for the opposite sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the bus driver asked ... she'd just need to look him in the eye, and say "My name IS Mark" (or Stephen or Fred or whatever).

Betcha the bus driver's not going to argue ...

(Name-gendering is all cultural anyway: where I come from, Patsy would ALWAYS be a girl, and Enda would be a typo for a girl called Edna!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I'll tell her to sit in the seat and it the driver says anything, give him/her a rendition of "A Boy named Sue" - that oughta sort things :D

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have often booked tickets for my sister and they have never said anything to her even though it was my name on the ticket.

I think you can put your name and address in the Billing Address section and then put the passenger's name and address in the Delivery Address section. Their name will then appear on the ticket.

Took us a while to figure that out, she was using tickets with my name on it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Hi,

I'm glad you raised this subject. I used my mother's card to buy a ticket for myself (i'm a guy). I had no problem getting on the bus, even though my ticket had a woman's name on it.

I was pissed off with CityLink's crap website design though!

It should be like Ryanair where you can put in the Cardholders name and then the Passengers name. It's now convention that you can use a persons card to pay for someone else, especially in the Airline and Hotel industry. Citylink should cop on to this and re-design their website to make this obvious when booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Shinto wrote: »
    I was pissed off with CityLink's crap website design though!

It should be like Ryanair where you can put in the Cardholders name and then the Passengers name. It's now convention that you can use a persons card to pay for someone else, especially in the Airline and Hotel industry. Citylink should cop on to this and re-design their website to make this obvious when booking.

This would only matter if bus companies had to identify their passengers, in the same way that airlines are required to (for safety/crash-recovery purposes) and hotels choose to (for following up mini-bar bill purposes).

Right now, anyone can get on a bus with no ID, so it really doesn't matter to CityLink that there's a difference between the pay-er and the passenger.

Yes, they could make the website ask for details of both, but
    1. it would take more development and testing for no real gain, and
    2. it would possibly break some privacy laws that say you can only collect personal data if you need to have it (I don't know the specific laws here am guessing that a principle like this applies).
    Please God we never reach the day when you have to present photo-ID to get on to a bus!

____

Hee hee, this feels like the sort of post where I should have a .sig like:

"Galway-based business systems analyst for hire: understanding your software requirements to maximise value from your technology investments."

Pity boards doesn't have differential .sigs ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

KevR wrote: »
    I think you can put your name and address in the Billing Address section and then put the passenger's name and address in the Delivery Address section. Their name will then appear on the ticket.

The name in the Delivery Address section appears as the Passenger Name on the ticket. It doesn't have to match the name of the credit card holder.

The name in the Billing Address section must be that of the credit card holder.

Advertisement