Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Guards in Scotch hall shopping centre Drogheda

Options
  • 04-12-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever have any problems with them?

/start student moan:They seem to really have it in for students.... I mean we cant even look like we might stop walking for a second before we (rather rudely) get told to move on. You guys know them wooden benches upstairs? Have you ever seen anyone moved off them but students in uniform? I sure haven't. :( Ive had a few incidents now with them and they have really pissed me off.... /end

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I take it by 'students' you mean schoolkids.

It's a shopping centre, not a youth club. They are perfectly within their rights if there are groups of school kids loitering in the shopping centre to ask you to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

eth0_ wrote: »

It's a shopping centre, not a youth club. They are perfectly within their rights if there are groups of school kids loitering in the shopping centre to ask you to move on.

i actually disagree with you there, why should they be within thier rights to move them on. if it was a group of old age pensioners would they be moved along and if not why not? surely if they are hanging around them benches they are loitering aswell. i know that some kids can give hassle but just because some do does not mean you can tar all kids with the same brush. i actually hated this myself when i was younger in shops, sercuity guards following you about just beacuse you are young. are all criminals under 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

and the comment its a shopping centre not a youth club, if you agree that older people should be able to hang about the benches thats like saying its a shopping centre not a nursing home.

Well, old people *don't* congregate around benches in Scotch Hall being loud and obnoxious (maybe you aren't like this but many are), not buying anything. The only place i've seen groups of old people is in Cafe Kylemore!

At the end of the day, Scotch Hall is privately owned and the management and security can ask you to leave if they feel you are loitering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Groups of students are generally loud, may be involved in messing and play-fighting. Well punching their mates shoulder and other such carry on.
    All pretty harmless

But it might be intimidating some people, particularly the elderly.

You're on private property OP, as long it's not discrimination then security and management set the rules. If they don't want large groups of students loitering they will move you on

• Advertisement

Oh yes and let's not forget there are a lot of school students who hang out in Scotch Hall when they're on the mitch from school. If you see St. Oliver's or Drogheda Grammar uniforms there in the middle of the day it's pretty obvious they're not just on their lunch break - I went to the Ollie's and I know it's not possible to walk into the town and back in the space of your lunch break :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Oh yes and let's not forget there are a lot of school students who hang out in Scotch Hall when they're on the mitch from school. If you see St. Oliver's or Drogheda Grammar uniforms there in the middle of the day it's pretty obvious they're not just on their lunch break - I went to the Ollie's and I know it's not possible to walk into the town and back in the space of your lunch break :-)
    Well were not mitching in this case, I am talking about the 1-2 time frame.
    In fairness now if we weren't in uniform we wouldn't be moved. I know its not exactly the biggest deal ever but its frustrating when you and your mates are moved just cause you are students and on the next bench there is a load of people sitting being left alone. And as for not buying anything you should see the Dunnes deli after we have been at it! :D

I'm 18. I don't consider myself a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Yeah I've had a few experiences of this. I was sitting on one of those wooden benches with about 3 of my friends, causing no trouble or shouting, and we were asked to move. One time I was even asked to move on because we stopped to look in the window of Lifestyle Sports.
    I can almost guarantee that if I was 10 years older, this wouldn't have happened.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Well were not mitching in this case, I am talking about the 1-2 time frame.
    In fairness now if we weren't in uniform we wouldn't be moved. I know its not exactly the biggest deal ever but its frustrating when you and your mates are moved just cause you are students and on the next bench there is a load of people sitting being left alone. And as for not buying anything you should see the Dunnes deli after we have been at it! :D

But why are you there? It's a shopping centre, a place for people to go and buy things, it's not a community centre for people to hang out in. I mean the same thing happened me when I was a teenager, but I always considered it pretty understandable.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough generally to buy stuff and sometimes a quick browse in lifestyle/gamestop/hmv.

I used to work there and overheard some of the conversations security have when they radio each other.

From what I understand, I believe the schools may have requested it. If you are in the Centre, during school hours, in school attire, then you are representing the school, and as such they don't want the school uniform to be associated with a bunch of mitching messers in a shopping centre.

I may be wrong on that, but I'm fairly sure thats what it comes down to.

I used to work there and overheard some of the conversations security have when they radio each other.

From what I understand, I believe the schools may have requested it. If you are in the Centre, during school hours, in school attire, then you are representing the school, and as such they don't want the school uniform to be associated with a bunch of mitching messers in a shopping centre.

I may be wrong on that, but I'm fairly sure thats what it comes down to.
    But most students go there at lunch-they are not mitching

But most students go there at lunch-they are not mitching

Students from where? The only schools within walking distance of Scotch Hall are St Mary's and Joe's!

Agree with the previous poster who said the schools may have requested it. And you also have to take into account the fact that students from your school may have caused trouble there in the past and given your school a bad rep with the security people there.

Students from where? The only schools within walking distance of Scotch Hall are St Mary's and Joe's!

Agree with the previous poster who said the schools may have requested it. And you also have to take into account the fact that students from your school may have caused trouble there in the past and given your school a bad rep with the security people there.
    Well from those schools then.
    But then there is the general attitude pf the security when one dares to question their actions- being called a "fcuking prick" is hardly ok is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Ruddy kids

:rolleyes:

Well from those schools then.
    But then there is the general attitude pf the security when one dares to question their actions- being called a "fcuking prick" is hardly ok is it?

If a security guard has called you a 'fcuking prick' then you should report it. I know I certainly would.

Ask for the Guards name. As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong on this, But I don't think I am) all static security guards are required to have passed a test/exam/whatever you want to call it. More often than not with a group called "The Private Security Authority". Each guard should always have an PSA I.D card on them when working and you are fully entitled to request to see it. It's a photo I.D card and each card has a unique number on the front (the guards I.D. number).

If you decide to ignore him calling you that then that is fine, but there is absolutely no way would I ever let anyone speak to me like that under any circumstances.

Well before I was called a prick I asked for the name of the company he worked for to which I was told "You ****ing prick, If you make a complaint then we will complain to the school and get everyone banned- I am sure that will make you very popular"

Make an anonymous complaint to the management. Don't indicate it was you who was spoken to in this way, make out that you were passing by and overheard.

Of course they should not speak to you or anyone like that, and if they lay a finger on you they are breaking the law.

• Advertisement

If you ever need to report a guard, though, ensure that you don't report them to the other security guys or head of security or anything like that.

Some of the guys are nice, but most of them are asses, and they're all friends. Report the guard to either, another department within Scotch Hall, or to someone above security.

They're all very much pals and friends in Scotch Hall. I'd imagine a complaint to security would be binned (though I can't say that for sure). Im sure there are a lot of guys working as security who would love to see the place run efficiently and properly, but it seems there are more who just want ego trips and to have a laugh.

if they lay a finger on you they are breaking the law.

I know that's true, but out of curiousity, do you have any idea where i'd find the official source of that rule. I'd like to see how it's worded and what the consequences are for the guard who does it.

Well I know a guy who works as security in the airport (the xray machines checking passports) and he was expressly told never to lay a hand on anyone, even if they were violent.

It is considered to be physical assault if you lay a hand on someone in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The security in the center is better than some. The only beef i ever had woth them was being told to move away from the shelter area at the back door when having a smoke when it was pi$$ing rain.

As for the bouncers in storm, them ticks need a slap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The centre is private property licensed out to businesses.
    As such the law of the land says that there is a "legal duty of care" to those that are "invited by treat" into it.

The sections such as the seating areas are specific areas that are to be used by those wishing to rest.
    Any other areas around the seats are accordingly areas of passage - PASSAGE - not block stoppage of sometimes large numbers of joining up within visitors.

As a fire marshal could state, the flow of passage must be kept FLOWING.
    Too many clumps of massing adults or teenagers can be a risk to security, safety and to any essential services that might wish to get to an area within the property quickly.

The security are within their rights to ask anyone to move on in relation to safety and legal duty of care issues.
    Like it or not - that is the law.

I think the issue thats been had here, Biggins, is that the OP was sitting on the bench at the time of being asked to move. I've heard of it happening a lot of times, but never seen it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

I work in scotch hall and I've often seen the security moving groups of kids on who were causing a hassle. I hate to sound old but most students just come down to hang out and have no intention of buying anything. This just interferes with those who are doing their shopping. I know there nothing else to do in the town, especially if its raining, but groups of kids just hanging around isnt a good image and theres always insurance concerns.

I also know that security HAVE to remove anyone wearing a school uniform before 3 o clock in case they're mitching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think the issue thats been had here, Biggins, is that the OP was sitting on the bench at the time of being asked to move. I've heard of it happening a lot of times, but never seen it myself.

If that is just the case and a very few others that might have been with them within reason, that might have been standing, could have a claim of selective victimisation.

If this is an on going regular occurrence, I (or someone that could be chosen) personally would be using my mobile phone a short distance away to record a number of times such examples and bring such selective tactics to the publics attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

If a security guard has called you a 'fcuking prick' then you should report it. I know I certainly would.

Ask for the Guards name. As far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong on this, But I don't think I am) all static security guards are required to have passed a test/exam/whatever you want to call it. More often than not with a group called "The Private Security Authority". Each guard should always have an PSA I.D card on them when working and you are fully entitled to request to see it. It's a photo I.D card and each card has a unique number on the front (the guards I.D. number).

The law says every security guard, be it in a pub or at a shopping centre should have a license. But you are forgetting you live in Ireland and what the law says and what is enforced are worlds apart. And thats a fact!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement