Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Clearwire please

• 04-12-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I have already posted about trying to use homeplugs with my clearwire and it not working. I asked the customer service guy what will work to make clearwire wireless so i can use it on both pc and lap top at the same he said nothing. I asked the guy in curries thats how i ended up with the homeplug.

So now I have decided to ask some real experts for advise so can one of you please tell me what i can buy that will work??

Also is there anyway that i would be able to get something that will not only allow me use laptop and pc but also the xbox or is that just asking for too much!!

Thanks
    Danielle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I have clearplugs for sale here
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=167594&cat=500
    I have the cd and instructions as well

Clearwire is not a consistent enough signal for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

thanks but i need to be able to use laptop and pc at the same time and with the plugs could still only use one at a time

Do you have clearwire internet rebel021?? if so what are you using instead of the clearplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

The Clearwire modem works with standard router and wireless access point equipment to create a local area network.

Right, I am assuming the Clearwire modem has one Ethernet port to which you currently have connected to your computer.

Get one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

It's a wireless router with 4 port switch.

This will give you wireless internet in the house (Laptop) and will allow you to plug 4 devices in via Ethernet cable (PC, XBOX, etc.)

The router is the "Linux" model which means you can flash it with a third party firmware to give you extra functionality, like Quality of Service. I have this router and it is well worth 45yoyos.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Right, I am assuming the Clearwire modem has one Ethernet port to which you currently have connected to your computer.

Get one of these:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=314078

It's a wireless router with 4 port switch.

This will give you wireless internet in the house (Laptop) and will allow you to plug 4 devices in via Ethernet cable (PC, XBOX, etc.)

The router is the "Linux" model which means you can flash it with a third party firmware to give you extra functionality, like Quality of Service. I have this router and it is well worth 45yoyos.

Thanks for that yes it is just one ethernet connection i quoted that to the guy from clearwire that i was talking to he said oh it shouldnt say that on the site as there is no routers that are compatible I wish people would train their staff so they have some clue what they are talking about..

• Advertisement

I assume the Laptop is wireless capable? It's not an ancient one without wireless card is it? :pac:

All you do is plug the router (WAN port) into the Clearwire modem, then plug the PC into the router.

lol laptop is ancient very ancient but does have wireless :pac: Thanks a million for that but believe me with the way my luck is going it will not be as easy or straightforward as you have said!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

danois wrote: »
    I have already posted about trying to use homeplugs with my clearwire and it not working. I asked the customer service guy what will work to make clearwire wireless so i can use it on both pc and lap top at the same he said nothing.

Hardly surprising, just over a year ago Clearwire had a clear out of nearly all of their Dublin based staff and now everything is being handled by an outsourced call center in Belfast of guys on low pay and/or straight out of college with no technical knowledge other than what the drones have been told to say. Ex AOL guys are running the show these days, having cleared out dozens upon dozens of staff.

You could just buy a normal cable router with no modem built in, and connect it up to the clearwire modem via the cable/dsl port and you will be up and running, there would be no problem with this, clearwire used to distribute and support them but I don't know if they still do.

devnull wrote: »
    Hardly surprising, just over a year ago Clearwire had a clear out of nearly all of their Dublin based staff and now everything is being handled by an outsourced call center in Belfast of guys on low pay and/or straight out of college with no technical knowledge other than what the drones have been told to say. Ex AOL guys are running the show these days, having cleared out dozens upon dozens of staff.

You could just buy a normal cable router with no modem built in, and connect it up to the clearwire modem via the cable/dsl port and you will be up and running, there would be no problem with this, clearwire used to distribute and support them but I don't know if they still do.

Thanks for that i am about as computer illiterate as you can get is there any way you could tell me a make and model that would work preferably cheap that can be bought in a bricks and mortar shop my credit card has unfortunately melted under the extreme pressure of santa lol so no online shopping for me:(

If you need to buy in a shop (you will be paying over the odds) then just ask for any Ethernet Broadband/Cable Router.

Not a router with a modem in it, not an ADSL router, just one where the WAN port is an Ethernet port.

There are cheaper ones on komplett and ebay than the one I linked if you are trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    If you need to buy in a shop (you will be paying over the odds) then just ask for any Ethernet Broadband/Cable Router.

Not a router with a modem in it, not an ADSL router, just one where the WAN port is an Ethernet port.

There are cheaper ones on komplett and ebay than the one I linked if you are trying to keep the cost to a minimum.

lol always trying to keep cost to a minimum maybe ill just wait till after i have paid off some of the xmas debt!!! my son is looking for internet on his laptop for xmas but he is old enough to understand if i tell him he has to wait till january i hop:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies as usual you lot know your stuff more than most idiots in the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

hi danois

Clearwire Sell a wireless router that works with their modem.
    Check out there website
    http://www.clearwire.ie/index.php?section=42&searchItem=wireless%20router

I also have one for sale
    Check out my ad
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=134445&cat=fav

I rang clearwire asked why they had not told me about them when i rand first he said cause they are all out and would not tell me the name of the ones they sell. serious twats!!

and thanks for the offer but its a bit far away for me to travel unfortunately if you are going to be in or around wicklow or dublin tho you could let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

hi danois

Will be around Dublin next weekend.
    Send me a pm if you are interested.

Thanks will move the rest of this conversation to the adverts page so dont get in trouble here thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I know this is an ancient thread but just incase anyone is asking:

Clearwire right at the start used to supply a 3com router, and the one pictures on that page which was posted a bit above is the Zyxel P320W, after that they obtained a load of Netgear's not sure if they are still distributing these or something else.

Advertisement