Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools Advice D9

Options
  • 04-12-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Just wondering if there are any parents out there with children in Glasnevin Educate Together (in old school building behind Met office), have my son down to start next September but do not know any parents with kids there so would love some feedback.

If anyone has information on any other schools in Glasnevin/Drumcondra would be great to get feedback too.

Many thanks,

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That's a great school. You've a few options in the area. (D9 man myself:)) I went to Holy Child in Larkhill. It was a 'tough' school, but the teachers there are super-dedicated. They get pitiful funding compared to the ET schools though :(

The ET is probably the best school in the area though. Parents and kids both seem extremely happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

banquo wrote: »
    That's a great school. You've a few options in the area. (D9 man myself:)) I went to Holy Child in Larkhill. It was a 'tough' school, but the teachers there are super-dedicated. They get pitiful funding compared to the ET schools though :(

The ET is probably the best school in the area though. Parents and kids both seem extremely happy.

NDNSP on the Ballymun Road at the top of Glasnevin is another excellent school.

Dodge that school in Larkhill like the plague - the standards there are below the other primary schools in the area and the kip is falling apart.

If you are really stuck, apply for St Fiachra's in Beaumont - a great school, although it might be a tad far away for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

I am in the same boat, we were thinking of send ing our 4 years old, 5 in August, to Larkhill in September, as it is the feeder to Aidans and the closest to our house in Gaeltacht Park.
    We also have his name down for St Pats in Drumcondra.
    My wife wants him to go to Larkhill but I have reservations. They have an after school club which would be very helpful to us.
    is it that bad?
    Never thought of the Educate together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm from Innishmaan Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

Iveragh Myself!.....
    Is Larkhill that Bad, don't mind a bit tough..no harm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

+1 on NDNSP, it's a great school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If you are really stuck, apply for St Fiachra's in Beaumont - a great school, although it might be a tad far away for you.

+1 for St. Fiachra's. Excellent school.

(I went there... way back when!)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Jumbo156 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, we were thinking of send ing our 4 years old, 5 in August, to Larkhill in September, as it is the feeder to Aidans and the closest to our house in Gaeltacht Park.
    We also have his name down for St Pats in Drumcondra.
    My wife wants him to go to Larkhill but I have reservations. They have an after school club which would be very helpful to us.
    is it that bad?
    Never thought of the Educate together.

I actually forgot about St Pat's - that's a very good school as well.

I went to St Fiachra's and then on to Aidan's and I will say this. I found that the average student who went to St Fiachra's (or St Pat's) was smarter than the average student who went to Larkhill, especially in the core subjects of Maths, English and Irish.

I would really urge you not to send your child to Larkhill. Fiachra's, Pat's or the two in Glasnevin would be better options IMO.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yeah, went to Larkhill myself. It was a dump. That was 6 years ago the last time I was in there so I can only imagine what it's like now. I was far behind on my Irish compared to people from Pats and Fiachras. Definitely avoid Larkhill though!

Advertisement