Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap alcohol

Options
  • 04-12-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Picked up some cheap alcohol in sainsburys Newry today.
    Bottle of black bush for £17.49 and a bottle of captain morgans for £10.29

Picked up some cheap beer and cider too with their mix and match offer
    two 15 packs for £14.

applies to most of their beers and ciders. Just to not can and bottle are different size up there most of the cans are 440ml and botttles are usely 300ml or 275ml. Nut what ever your poisin. There is prolly a good deal to be had.

Might be worth listing what the other stores up there have on offer comparision. I was like a kid in a candy shop when I say the prices. picked up a few presents for the family afterward and stuck my head in a few more places but didn't buy anymore. Saw a few more deals elsewhere that I can't recall now.

Maybe a few of them places on the way in newry from the M1 have some good deals too. I meant to look on the way back but AI was too tired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

doing_it_wrong_2.jpg

There is a Northern Ireland Bargain Alerts forum here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Wow a thanks for seomeone being pedantic. Over 100 viewers and not one positive comment. :(

jenno86 wrote: »
    doing_it_wrong_2.jpg

There is a Northern Ireland Bargain Alerts forum here!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Wrong forum mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Woah woah woah wait. You can get alcohol cheaper in Newry than down south OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

consultech wrote: »
    Woah woah woah wait. You can get alcohol cheaper in Newry than down south OP?

Stop bein an uptight smart ass, he is only tryin to show people the bargains he got, its still a bargain. Not everyone has a knowledge of every single section on here

• Advertisement

philboy wrote: »
    Stop bein an uptight smart ass, he is only tryin to show people the bargains he got, its still a bargain. Not everyone has a knowledge of every single section on here

Quite right. Though it would be nice to have all the booze offers in one places considering it is such a big draw for people going there. People don't don't wonder to themselves I wonder what is cheaper in the north than here. People think what do I want and where is it cheapest. My thread was intended to people brains flowing about what other bargains on booze there is. Be it as it may if it ended up in the northern forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Quite right. Though it would be nice to have all the booze offers in one places considering it is such a big draw for people going there. People don't don't wonder to themselves I wonder what is cheaper in the north than here. People think what do I want and where is it cheapest. My thread was intended to people brains flowing about what other bargains on booze there is. Be it as it may if it ended up in the northern forum.

Because that is where it belongs!

or maybe the common knowledge forum would be better.... :confused::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Picked up some cheap alcohol in sainsburys Newry today.
    Bottle of black bush for £17.49 and a bottle of captain morgans for £10.29

Picked up some cheap beer and cider too with their mix and match offer
    two 15 packs for £14.

applies to most of their beers and ciders. Just to not can and bottle are different size up there most of the cans are 440ml and botttles are usely 300ml or 275ml. Nut what ever your poisin. There is prolly a good deal to be had.

Might be worth listing what the other stores up there have on offer comparision. I was like a kid in a candy shop when I say the prices. picked up a few presents for the family afterward and stuck my head in a few more places but didn't buy anymore. Saw a few more deals elsewhere that I can't recall now.

Maybe a few of them places on the way in newry from the M1 have some good deals too. I meant to look on the way back but AI was too tired.

just to add, asda have a similiar offer, but they dont require the mix and match with beer and cider.
    15 bottles for £7
    15 cans for £7

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

just to add, asda have a similiar offer, but they dont require the mix and match with beer and cider.
    15 bottles for £7
    15 cans for £7

:( I picked up a Carlsberg 15 pack from Tesco for 15 Euro yesterday & thought I had a superb deal.

Any idea why the beer is so cheap up north, is it just because of taxes, or are the shops here really fleecing us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Your bottles of Carlsberg are 30 or 55mls bigger than the ones up North for £7 so you've not really been ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Your bottles of Carlsberg are 30 or 55mls bigger than the ones up North for £7 so you've not really been ripped off.

course we are. Its a scandal how much we get charged down here.

How has the government not done something, in a whole year, to combat people going up the north. This is why we lose out jobs, cause we try to save what little we have but it goes to the UK, not ireland. Government here are a pack of gob****es. Stupid amounts of tax and too high prices.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I will be availing of the captian morgans - its 30 euro a bottle down here!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Quite right. Though it would be nice to have all the booze offers in one places considering it is such a big draw for people going there.
    The least you could do is edit your original post and put NORTHERN IRELAND in the title (do it with advanced edit). If you are going to post deals on in other countries then let them know in the title, or post in the proper place.

That goes for all posts here, many are extremely vague headings and people have to click into them only to find info which is useless to them. If people want to know where booze is cheap up north they go the NI forum, they are not expecting it here so might miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Great. Cheap alcohol in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

tintar wrote: »
    Any idea why the beer is so cheap up north, is it just because of taxes, or are the shops here really fleecing us?

Taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

If it's cans he's talking about they are only 440ml in Tesco here same as the north and Tesco here have 15 cans of carlsberg for €15 and Asda have same thing for 7quid

The edit function is not available on my original post. So if one the Mods could edit the title and move the post In would be delighted.
    rubadub wrote: »
    The least you could do is edit your original post and put NORTHERN IRELAND in the title (do it with advanced edit). If you are going to post deals on in other countries then let them know in the title, or post in the proper place.

That goes for all posts here, many are extremely vague headings and people have to click into them only to find info which is useless to them. If people want to know where booze is cheap up north they go the NI forum, they are not expecting it here so might miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

It will be interesting to see later on today if they bring down excise duty what effect that will have on the price of alcohol down here and if it will deter people from travelling over the border.

Personally, I am only a moderate drinker anyway and I couldn't be bothered with facing the tailbacks and queues up north over the next fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

grinder23 wrote: »
    If it's cans he's talking about they are only 440ml in Tesco here same as the north and Tesco here have 15 cans of carlsberg for €15 and Asda have same thing for 7quid

It's the cans... I don't really mind if the price differential is on account of taxes, at least I know its going to the state & will hopefully come back someday into our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Great. Cheap alcohol in another country.

Closer to some people than Dublin is, yet you wouldn't be so sarcastic to a bargain available in Dublin. :rolleyes:

Today's budget should involve a reduction in excise duty, which is good news for everybody. :)

Cionád wrote: »
    Closer to some people than Dublin is, yet you wouldn't be so sarcastic to a bargain available in Dublin. :rolleyes:

Oh dear. If a shop is selling cheap alcohol in Dublin then you can be sure all shops within the same chain will have cheap alcohol. I opened this thread to expect a nationwide deal on alcohol but I found a thread stating that alcohol is cheaper in Northern Ireland. There is also a whole sub section on this board for just that.

Some roll eyes for you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh dear. If a shop is selling cheap alcohol in Dublin then you can be sure all shops within the same chain will have cheap alcohol.

Oh dear. All shops in Dublin are attributed to chains?, news to me. :)

You should have closed the thread instead of getting smart about it.

Cionád wrote: »
    You should have closed the thread

You should really take your own advice.

You should really take your own advice.

On the contrary, I added a useful post about excise duty reductions, I was only dragged off topic by your response.

I shall leave you now.

Advertisement