Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mud Rash - Any suggestions???

Options
  • 04-12-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Not surprising in this weather, mare has mud rash, mainly on one hind leg. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

This will sound completely daft but it does work. Ask your local butcher for some 'Goose Fat' there will be plenty around this few weeks. Heat it in a sauce pan till it turns to liquid and then pour it into a jam jar or tub. Trim the hais around the effected area if you can then rub the Goose Grease on, it will soften up the scaps and seal the sores. As its the best natural waterproofing you'll ever get you can keep putting it on the legs and heels during the winter .

Also good for anything leather you need to waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Vaseline is also good for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

hi I bought a horse with alot of mud rash last winter. The vet said to wash the skin with warm water and soap, get alot of lather going and give it a really good rub to get the dead skin off. My mare had it fairly bad and he said to "get your nails in" and get off all the scab. It takes a while. And as she had it on all four legs he said to just do one leg a day. Then dry it really well and put on a load of suda cream. Put the suda cream on every day untill the skin has healed. It worked very well for me. She's out in the field full time but everytime I take her out and her legs are dry I give it a good brush to get all the mud off. She has been fine so far. But I must try the goose fat for waterproofing, it sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i'd wash it with hibi scrub or a anti bacterial wash, that will soften the sores on her legs and then dry it well. creams are good aswell to help it heel

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

as eorna said, soap, but more specifically coal tar soap, best thing ever invented really, great for rain scald aswell, helps if you cut up the bar of soap and make a bit of a mush out of it, and scrub well, then apply nappy rash cream or something similar, as the legs will be a bit raw afterwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

I find equi creme very good for it!give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Pipsie Pie

My gelding suffers badly from mudrash on his 3 white socks. Having done both the vaseline/sudocream for months the best thing I have found is Muddy Marvel.... There is a de-scab liquid, then you wash with anti-bacterial wash and then a barrier cream. Cleared nearly completly in 10 days (while he was still turned out)

I have also recently seen a feed supplement for mudrash, has anybody tried this? does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kooja

Ahh Pipsi - I am gonna try that stuff, my heart is broken trying to clear it up!
    I had (with help) managed to clear it from my Gelding's one white foot in Oct only for it to return now on ALL 4 fetlocks & pasterns!
    Poor little pet - I had to wash the legs the other night with hibiscrub to try soften the scabs and he was so tolerant even though I could hear him holding his breath when my hand were cleaning the scabs!
    It really is a curse of a condidtion - I find myself rain watching constantly,
    Anway will try the Muddy Marvel stuff. Cheers :o

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Pipsie Pie

Hi Kooja,

FYI I bought mine (all 3 in a kit) from Robinsons on the net for around GBP£20. I have only ever seen the barrier cream in shops here and at €20 on its own...
    Best of luck!

(Mods: hope its ok to post this info - if not please delete)

Advertisement