Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Tuner Cards.

Options
  • 04-12-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Are they any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CompuFreak

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's like asking:

'Sound cards. Are they any good?'

They do a job some people want, other's don't.

that's like asking:

'Sound cards. Are they any good?'

They do a job some people want, other's don't.
    No..... I mean is there a difference between watchin tv on a monitor using a good tuner card rather than on a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

CompuFreak wrote: »
    No..... I mean is there a difference between watchin tv on a monitor using a good tuner card rather than on a tv.

Another open ended question :pac:

If your TV is high def then sticking it onto a monitor will be the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well they do what they're supposed to if that's your question?

You still need to hook them up to an aerial though!

There are different kinds, digital, analog and some satellite/cable ones too(which i don't know much about)
    It makes your pc into an extra tv, which is obvious enough

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    Well they do what they're supposed to if that's your question?

You still need to hook them up to an aerial though!

There are different kinds, digital, analog and some satellite/cable ones too(which i don't know much about)
    It makes your pc into an extra tv, which is obvious enough
    No I mean is the picture quality worse as opposed to a conventional tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Do you have to pay a tv licence with a tv tuner card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

zappb wrote: »
    Do you have to pay a tv licence with a tv tuner card?

You're supposed to pay a tv license if you have any equipment (ie a tv) that can be used to watch tv.

So if you have a tv then you have to have a tv license, if you just have a pc monitor then i don't think you have to. It's very doubtful

Also Compufreak, It's just like anything else! Is a movie better of worse on your tv screen or monitor? It's a nothing question if you know what i mean

Cab they all take in analog/DVB-T/C and do a good job upscaling it to 1080 i/p then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Cab they all take in analog/DVB-T/C

depends on the card
    and do a good job upscaling it to 1080 i/p then?

depends on the card

• Advertisement

Exactly, I want a card that can do both. Well. Or should i just get a tv because there is NO advantage to a tv card (aside from dvr functionality etc).. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Exactly, I want a card that can do both. Well. Or should i just get a tv because there is NO advantage to a tv card (aside from dvr functionality etc).. ?

Option 1: buy a TV.

Option 2: buy a monitor with a built in TV tuner. And you can switch between TV/PC

Option 3: buy a TV card.

I personally would stick with a TV and a cheap DVD recorder.... (less complications/stuff to go horribly wrong......)

If you are getting in the channels then you may as well pay a little extra and get the DVR box while you are at it.

TV cards are far from perfect, they do the job, from using one in the past they are a pain at times. I really would stick with a telly.

That and if someone else wants to watch telly you still have the use of the pc....

uberpixie wrote: »
    Option 1: buy a TV.

Option 2: buy a monitor with a built in TV tuner. And you can switch between TV/PC

Option 3: buy a TV card.

I personally would stick with a TV and a cheap DVD recorder.... (less complications/stuff to go horribly wrong......)

If you are getting in the channels then you may as well pay a little extra and get the DVR box while you are at it.

TV cards are far from perfect, they do the job, from using one in the past they are a pain at times. I really would stick with a telly.

That and if someone else wants to watch telly you still have the use of the pc....
    Thanks! The choice is between a tv with PC input or a monitor with a tv card!

Advertisement