Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ok primary teaching..need help.

• 04-12-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I applied for pgce general primary in Liverpool Hope, went for interview and was unsuccessful in gaining a place. That was in early November. Then it was sent to my second choice Leeds which rejected my application after about three weeks of holding the application. Now I have sent it to St.Mary's London and not holding out hope on it because they say unless you have put it down as first choice you dont have hope getting interview.

I am also applying for St.Pats in here for the post grad though places on it are as scarce as hens teeth.

This is my third year through the process and not getting anywhere any ideas what to do, change of career path?. Only a certain amount of rejection and failure one person can take.

I have applied for all schools all over for subbing and applied for ordinary jobs too and have got nothing for the last year. Its disheartening.

Any ideas what to do im at my wits end!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

What's your undergrad qualification? Maybe you'd be better off pursuing that, or another career line? Many people in education are very pernickety about grammar and punctuation. I'm sure you have many options outside of teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 postgradprimary

What's your undergrad qualification? Maybe you'd be better off pursuing that, or another career line? Many people in education are very pernickety about grammar and punctuation. I'm sure you have many options outside of teaching.

B.A maths and psychological studies. I also did the diploma in Irish.

Ah im not going to bother trying for anything else as all I come up against is rejection. I was told after my Leaving Certificate to go to collage as it will make life easier in the long run. At this stage I dont think that is true. As if I apply for any job im either over qualified or not qualified enough, dont have enough experience or not suitable for the job. At 15 I was working part time and in charge of a supermarket on my own on Sundays and now at 23 im not qualified or experienced enough to do any kind of work. It is a joke. Only person not laughing is me.

It is frustrating to listen to people saying you have far more options than teaching as there is no options out there for me as I have applied for various other jobs while applying for teacher training and trying to build up experience in primary schools. All I want to do is teach if I didnt want to teach I would have given up after first year of trying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Why not go back for the whole 3 year BEd? If you want if enough, I mean. Friend of mine did it at 26 and said the time flew. Or try for secondary teaching? Nothing else the experience you get there could help you get onto a postgrad in the future.

Have you any idea why you're being rejected? Is your CV good? Do you have hobbies, volunteer work, good grades, a foreign language? Do you play the tin whistle? These are all things you could be doing to improve your chances. I'm about to leave for a year to work abroad so that when I come back I'll be in a position to gt employed. Lots of people in the lecturing business do this (I'm in a different area, just saying it happens in education). Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Would you consider working abroad as a teacher? There are places that only require degrees, and not specific teaching qualiifications.
    You would get to be a teacher, earn money, and when/if you decide to return to Ireland, you would have a greater chance of getting accepted into a postgrad.

#15 wrote: »
    Would you consider working abroad as a teacher? There are places that only require degrees, and not specific teaching qualiifications.
    You would get to be a teacher, earn money, and when/if you decide to return to Ireland, you would have a greater chance of getting accepted into a postgrad.

I am willing to do anything to get into teaching.

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    Why not go back for the whole 3 year BEd? If you want if enough, I mean. Friend of mine did it at 26 and said the time flew. Or try for secondary teaching? Nothing else the experience you get there could help you get onto a postgrad in the future.

Have you any idea why you're being rejected? Is your CV good? Do you have hobbies, volunteer work, good grades, a foreign language? Do you play the tin whistle? These are all things you could be doing to improve your chances. I'm about to leave for a year to work abroad so that when I come back I'll be in a position to get employed. Lots of people in the lecturing business do this (I'm in a different area, just saying it happens in education). Hope that helps

I could not undertake another three years of education. I do not have the money to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

I am willing to do anything to get into teaching.

Have a look into it then. I know that Sabis recruit teachers in the Middle East.
    There are many other organistaions like them. Try a university careers office, they will have plenty of info on it.

Or you could do TEFL. But I would advise you go down the SABIS/international route.

I was going to do it but I was lucky enough to get a job in a school here.
    I would still like to try it at some stage though.

Advertisement