Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprayin my Xbox Controllers

Options
  • 04-12-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I want to spray my 2 Xbox controllers. not sure how to do it properly without messing it up. or Having the paint peel off after a week.

also any ideas on wit design or colors to do? I'm not that artistically creative.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:P

Xbox Gamertag: Da Best Dan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

just buy black ones :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This doesn't sound stupid at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

id perefer a bit of diversity. not full of the black opnes. prob lose it in my black desk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Sounds interesting, post pics of them when your done.

il post pics if i even get started. saw some vids on youtube of designs and "how-to's" but not very helpful u know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I would have thought it's quite difficult, I mean I would have thought the stock controllers are black/grey because of polymer choice and not any post-process painting.

Do you really care about your controllers that much that the colour of them bothers you when playing?

Maybe ring up a proper powder coating crowd and see what they think. I would be extremely wary about doing it myself, it's not exactly going to be the same as painting the garden shed.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I would have thought it's quite difficult, I mean I would have thought the stock controllers are black/grey because of polymer choice and not any post-process painting.

Do you really care about your controllers that much that the colour of them bothers you when playing?

Maybe ring up a proper powder coating crowd and see what they think. I would be extremely wary about doing it myself, it's not exactly going to be the same as painting the garden shed.

Dats true just that me an my friends all hav xbox an our controllers are carried to an from each others houses, that wud be fine but small children = lost goods!

thanks for the advice man.

Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Some geezer on forza 3 forums painted his own pad looked deadly, can be done but take time if you're doing it and be sure to disassemble the pad first!

tanks man!! il get a look at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

DONT do this. I got some plastic spray paint from Halfords and painted my controller. It makes them unusable because they make your hands get sweaty with 5mins use. Its not worth it!

• Advertisement

DONT do this. I got some plastic spray paint from Halfords and painted my controller. It makes them unusable because they make your hands get sweaty with 5mins use. Its not worth it!

tanks for the heads up man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I used to be in awe of those warhammer figurines that you would see painted properly. In fact, a friend of mine was supremely talented at this, he could paint the whites of the eyes, even managed to get a "bloodshot" effect on some of them.

Some people have a talent for painting with great detail, that post is hardly a guide. Yes, his results are impressive.

My advice: Try and find a broken controller from a friend/adverts/ebay that you can get for next to nothing and use it as a "sketch pad".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I used to be in awe of those warhammer figurines that you would see painted properly. In fact, a friend of mine was supremely talented at this, he could paint the whites of the eyes, even managed to get a "bloodshot" effect on some of them.

Some people have a talent for painting with great detail, that post is hardly a guide. Yes, his results are impressive.

My advice: Try and find a broken controller from a friend/adverts/ebay that you can get for next to nothing and use it as a "sketch pad".

Using warhammer paints is unadvisable it will come off with the sweat coming off the users hands.
    I realise that you may not even have been hinting at it but i thought i would say it just incase.
    OP most types of paints will come off when you put it on the controller just because the friction from your hands and your sweat mixed.
    Although if you manage to find the mad hex screw head that are on the screws the best way to do it would be find a nice strong heavy duty paint and a decent clear laquer to put on it and it shouldnt come off too quick however it will if it is used quite alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I remember seeing a how-to on this...

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-an-Xbox-360-Controller

No pics, but I guess it could be useful, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

get a marker and put a dot at the top of the controller saves you wrecking it and problem solve,or different coloured battery packs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

If you use spray paint be prepared to not have a pad for about a week, the smell takes a while to go away and it's no fun if you inhale a lot of it. (Trust me on that!) Also if you use it too quickly, the layers under your apparently dry top layer might still be unstable

Technically you should be able to spray an xbox pad easily, but disassemble it totally first and test the paint on a similar piece of plastic that's worthless.

Use a matte colour, not a shiny one as it sticks to whatever it's going on easier and I've found the shiny ones tend to clog the spray nozzle badly.

If you want a good choice of colours look at the 'Montana Gold' range of paints. Best I've used, will stick to pretty much anything and provides a very robust finsih. Try 'Inspiring Ideas' in Blanchardstwon shopping centre for a huge range of colours or the art and hobby shop for a smaller range. It's about €10 a can but you'll only need one and it's well worth it.

When you do it, make sure you spray on a fine mist, don't directly spray as it could pool and leave a nasty lump or bubble or even a big drip. Once it has a *very* thin coat completely covering the pad wait for it to dry (should be under 30 minutes but give it an hour to be safe.) and apply again. Probably 3 thin coats should suffice, but use your own judgement. Do NOT apply too much as you'll end up with the pad shell ebing too thick and the buttons will feel awkward.

Last but most importantly - ALWAYS!!!! Always do this in a well-ventilated area. If it has to be indoors open every windown and close the door to the rest of the house. The stuff is pretty harsh, I made myself pretty unwell using it once, stomach didn't thank me! But that was because I had to shut the window because rain was coming in.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun, and if you get it wrong you should be able to just wipe the latest layer off with kitchen towel if you do it right away. I've sprayed a few things in the last year or two and it's always been a success, so I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Forgot to add, you shouldn't need to sand it with the spray paint I suggested. It's meant for plastic.

Also make sure you stick masking tape to the BACK of the button holes, just in case they get clogged. That's the last thing you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

zero19 wrote: »

its kinda just looks like he put stickers on it in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I painted two of mine last year, one silver with blue buttons, and one red.

Came out deadly, no problems at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement