Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I set-up: DSL router with wireless to connect to wireless LAN upstairs

Options
  • 04-12-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭

right, I have two routers at my disposal: Zyxel P-660HW-D1 and 660HW-61

I can connect either of them directly to the phoneline and use it as my wireless router. I have a bedroom set up as an office with networked printer, PC, laptop etc...I do have a phoneline in the office but it is of poor quality and the connection dropped too often. So what I would like to do is this:

Have the broadband router connected to the phoneline downstairs in the living room on the eircom master socket. Then have a further wireless router in the office. I don't mind which wireless router I can connect to as both locations are good for everywhere in the house.

So do I bridge over from the first to the second router? Are any of the routers I have capable of routing through its wireless aerial?

Advice much appreciated.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 skuby1968

You are still going to have the problem of "weak" signal in your bedroom. (if that is why you want the other wlan router there?) remember that the router has to send the signal to the other router just as it would have to send it to your PC/Laptop.
    A better way of boosting the signal would be to use a pair of "ethernet over power" adaptors and either just plug straight into it in your bedroom or attach it through the 2nd router and configure the same ssid etc and then you have your WLAN around the house with no loss of signal.
    \Dont put the cable into the WAN port of the second router. Just into one of the lan ports and turn off dhcp on 2nd router.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks for the input Skuby...

The power over ethernet AFAIK won't work as the upstairs is on a different ring main.

So this is how I am setting things up...

DSL Line (standard telephone cable)
    |
    |
    Wireless Router(1)
    * (wireless connection)
    Wireless router (2)
    / \
    / \
    PC Printer

Which router do I have the bridge on? Is it one or both routers that needs to be bridged?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

astrofluff wrote: »
    I don't mind which wireless router I can connect to as both locations are good for everywhere in the house.

Confused. If both router locations work, why do you need two ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The reason for two routers:

Downstairs, there is an eircom master socket and the broadband works well on this socket...I currently use this around the house with 2 laptops.

Upstairs, I have an bedroom/office with desktop PC (no wireless card) and a HP printer with ethernet card (again no wireless card). I would like to have all this networked so all laptops and computers can print to the printer upstairs - all this via a 'wireless switch' (or hub) which is wirelessly connected to the router downstairs.

...the telephone line going the upstairs is not suitable for carrying the broadband, the DSL connection drops far too much on the upstairs connection.

Advertisement