Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD External Passpor Not Working!!

• 04-12-2009 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, there may be a thread here on this already but I can't find it and am on the computer using ANSYS since 8am so can't really see anymore!!

I have a WD harddrive (ALL MY MUSIC IS ON IT - CAN'T LOOSE IT)- working fully yesterday!!! I tried to do a back up again, hadn't done one since I changed to windows 7, so it told me to back up I needed to create a system image, to do this I first had to scan my harddrive, so I scanned and fixed it, it ran overnight, took ages!!!!

Then this morning I tried to create the system image but the drive was no longer recognised :( It is making a noise when I plug it in and can be seen in Device Manager, in device manager it is saying to not initalised, it says I need to initalise it before Logical Disk Manager can access it, when I try to initalise it by either MBR (Master Boot Record) of GPT (GUID Partition Table) it says incorrect function!!! I have tried to convert it over (as not formatting it) but can't do that as the drive is not being recognised at all :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(

Oh yeah side note - not sure of relevance but anyway - as and from the same time my utorrent has suddenly uninstalled and wont reinstall, not sure if it is linked but I can't use it or get it to work, but that is not important but thought it might be relevant!!!

Thanks

As I said it is the only place I have all my music - yes I have just learned my lesson!!!! My thesis is not on it at least.. :)

Please help, a very stressed final year student!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Have you used the HD on windows 7 before or is this the first time? The reason I ask is that I have a WD external that works fine on my XP machine but isn't recognised on my Vista laptop. Might be a similar issue when trying to access it on a Windows 7 machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

mordeith wrote: »
    Have you used the HD on windows 7 before or is this the first time? The reason I ask is that I have a WD external that works fine on my XP machine but isn't recognised on my Vista laptop. Might be a similar issue when trying to access it on a Windows 7 machine

That is what I am thinking - it worked sound but it wasn't backing up!!! It told me what to do and NOW it's not working - fecking Microsoft!!

Thanks

Hi all quick question - does anyone know how to name / put a letter allocation on it using Windows 7?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

You can allocate a letter by right clicking my computer going to manage then Disk Management Under Storage. Right click on the drive and assign letter.
    One thing i would suggest you double check with the drive is plugging it into another usb port prefereably one at the back of the computer, those WD Passports need a bit more power than some usb ports can give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pembily wrote: »
    Hi all quick question - does anyone know how to name / put a letter allocation on it using Windows 7?

Thanks

Click on the start or and then right click on the computer icon and go to manage, then go to disk management. If you right click on the drive there you should be able to change the drive letter.
    To change the name, just go into my computer, right click and rename.

• Advertisement

When I right click in disk manager the only options I get are
    - Properties
    - Help

The disk is not initalised - help please - really need to try get the info off the disk!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Right Click it in the upper section of the right hand window pane

Right Click it in the upper section of the right hand window pane

It's not showing up in that section!!!!

Advertisement