Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC - Winners,Dark Horse,Forgotten,Over & Underachievers

• 04-12-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Its easy just use the same 5 headings....

Winners Spain
    Dark Horse Germany
    Over-achievers Chile
    Under-achievers England
    Forgotten team Holland

DEFINITIONS
    DARK HORSE is not to get to the Quarter Finals and further,
    DARK HORSE would be a team to WIN outside the current top 4/5 favourites.

FORGETTEN TEAM = Team that just disappears out of the whole reckoning without much hype or much fuss. could say France/Portugal/Holland/South Africa... just in general a team that doesnt over achieve or under achieve one that nobody will remember or care how they done.

OVER-ACHIEVERS is an outsider team that you think will reach the Quarter finals or further, upsetting teams along the way. Someone like Serbia/Chile/Ivory Coast.

Winners - quick glance. 60 votes

Spain
    0% 0 votes
    Brazil
    36% 22 votes
    England
    21% 13 votes
    Germany
    20% 12 votes
    Argentina
    8% 5 votes
    Holland
    8% 5 votes
    Italy
    5% 3 votes
    France
    0% 0 votes
    Other...
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How can you consider Germany a dark horse? Not one of the best teams in the competition, but nobody will be that surprised if they end up winning it.

Winners Brazil
    Dark Horse Denmark
    Over-achievers Australia
    Under-achievers Argentina
    Forgotten team France

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

How can you consider Germany a dark horse? Not one of the best teams in the competition, but nobody will be that surprised if they end up winning it.

well if you consider it then so be it.. but they are my Dark Horse outside of the favourites ie.. Spain/Brazil/England so therefore your own statement proves the point a team thats not great but still has a chance to win. Like you cant really consider USA to be a dark horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Winners Spain/England
    Dark Horse Ghana/Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers Italy/France
    Under-achievers Brazil
    Forgotten team Holland (dont really know so ill leave holland in there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

well if you consider it then so be it.. but they are my Dark Horse outside of the favourites ie.. Spain/Brazil/England so therefore your own statement proves the point a team thats not great but still has a chance to win. Like you cant really consider USA to be a dark horse.

Germany always do well in major competitions.

Nice edit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,010 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Winners England
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers Ghana
    Under-achievers Italy
    Forgotten team Portugal

• Advertisement

Germany always do well in major competitions.

Nice edit.

Have you seen the list of favourites?? I think Germany are currently 6th/7th? and with the current team they have in evolution wouldnt be considered a favourite. Im not saying a DARK HORSE to do well im using it as to WIN it so your pick Denmark is pretty ridiculous. Just try and understand something before you wade in with your useless negative dribble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What's the difference between underachiever and forgotten team?

Winners: Brazil
    Dark Horse: Mexico
    Overachievers: United States
    Underachievers: Netherlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Winners.... Germany
    Runners up.....Brazil
    Dark horse.... Ivory coast
    Tournament flops....France
    Underachievers....Spain

Might have been an idea to clarify definitions of the terms.

I don't think that Germany can be classified as a dark horse, they have always been a major International force recently.(except for 2004 when they were terrible). They are a top seed, I would argue they are amongst the favourites and calling them a dark horse suggests otherwise.

My definition of 'dark horse' would be a team that would see getting to the quarter-finals as beyond their expectations. In other words any team outside the top seeds (except South Africa) and France. Otherwise I would change my predictions as I don't actually think that Mexico are more likely to go further than teams like Portugal/Germany/Netherlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Winners - Brazil
    Dark Horse - Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers - Mexico
    Under-achievers - Italy
    Forgotten team -Portugal

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    Might have been an idea to clarify definitions of the terms.

DEFINITIONS BACK UP-TOP
    didnt really mean for this to be a discussion thread more of a quick reference opinion thread that ppl can then discuss in the other threads but i suppose no harm in discussing ppls choices.

I think it has potential to be the best World-Cup ever( and I know its such and over used cliche) but with the quality of the African teams been as great as ever and other teams like Chile,Australia, Serbia,Denmark, Paraguay,South Korea all improving imeasureably. Also with Argentina in a chaotic state while maintaining some quality and fire, with Dunga and Brazil introducing some functional style to their creativity, Spain ready to take the big step now, England with the experience of past failures and a disciplined coach to focus them, France in disarray and Italy and Germany in transition. WOAH... It will be very interesting indeed.

Yeah I get the difference between dark horse and over-achievers, as in dark horse as a team that could possibly challenge, whereas over-achievers as a team that just does better than people would think, but of who not much was expected to begin with. I guess I've just never heard of a top seed being described as a 'dark horse' before, but lets not get into pedantics...

Based on the new definitions then, I will reasses my original predictions and say:

-Winners: Brazil
    -Dark Horse: Italy
    -Overachievers: Mexico
    -Underachivers: Netherlands
    -Fogotten Team: South Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Winners Brazil
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers South Africa (home team normally goes well)
    Under-achievers Holland
    Forgotten team - Portugal

Meh-he-co are quietly fancied too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Your definition of Dark Horse is wrong. Dark Horse to win is not what the phrase means

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Your definition of Dark Horse is wrong. Dark Horse to win is not what the phrase means

really? arnt you clever!! this is a definition in context of the statement. Plus I never said Dark Horse to win is what Dark Horse means. Dark horse is someone who acheives or wins outside or the expected or favourites which is what I have said... sooo stop trying to troll and hijack the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

really? arnt you clever!! this is a definition in context of the statement. Plus I never said Dark Horse to win is what Dark Horse means. Dark horse is someone who acheives or wins outside or the expected or favourites which is what I have said... sooo stop trying to troll and hijack the thread.

I'm not trying to hijack a thread. I'm just pointing out to you that Germany could never ever be considered a dark horse. It could be a good discussion if you got it right

I'm not trying to hijack a thread. I'm just pointing out to you that Germany could never ever be considered a dark horse. It could be a good discussion if you got it right

yes you are and your not succeeding. You never pointed out why Germany couldnt be a Dark Horse and I already stated why the ARE a dark horse. It could be a good discussion if you werent so ignorant.

Its easy

DEFINITIONS
    DARK HORSE would be a team outside the favourites.
    Have you seen the list of favourites?? I think Germany are currently 6th/7th? and with the current team they have in evolution wouldnt be considered a favourite. Im not saying a DARK HORSE to do well

as all above!! right now Germany would be considered a Dark Horse... Fav being Spain, Brazil,England, Argentina etc etc. End of no more discussion on Germany being dark horses cause they are.

yes you are and your not succeeding. You never pointed out why Germany couldnt be a Dark Horse and I already stated why the ARE a dark horse. It could be a good discussion if you werent so ignorant.
    ldo, they have won three world cups, have been in 5 of the last 9 finals. On top of that they were in the semi-finals four years ago and finished runner-up in the European Championships last year.

Dark horse my bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aye, id have to agree that Germany could never be classed as dark horse. Consistently do very well on the big stage, regardless of the expectation going into the tournement.

Winners................Brazil
    Dark horse.............Serbia
    Overachievers....... Uruguay
    UnderAchievers......Argentina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Winners Germany
    Dark Horse Holland
    Over-achievers Italy, jammy beggars.
    Under-achievers Spain even more spectacularly than usual.
    Forgotten team Portugal. One word. Manager.

eagle eye wrote: »

Dark horse my bollix.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    aye, id have to agree that Germany could never be classed as dark horse.

Im a big fan of Germany and Germna football. Big Schalke fan and love going to german league games and love supporting Germany but this time around I know you are all wrong. We'll agree to disagree and im not gonna go into this again.

ldo, they have won three world cups, have been in 5 of the last 9 finals. On top of that they were in the semi-finals four years ago and finished runner-up in the European Championships last year.

Dark horse my bollix.
    Im a big fan of Germany and Germna football. Big Schalke fan and love going to german league games and love supporting Germany but this time around I know you are all wrong. We'll agree to disagree and im not gonna go into this again.
    Look you just got pwn'd, accept it and move on.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ninja Turtle fight ITT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Winners Spain
    Dark Horse South Africa
    Over-achievers Slovakia or Serbia
    Under-achievers England
    Forgotten team France

Look you just got pwn'd, accept it and move on.:)

you havnt even got a clue what your talking about so go back into your Sky Tv and watch Andy Gray tell you what to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Seillejet wrote: »
    Winners Germany
    Dark Horse Holland
    Over-achievers Italy, jammy beggars.
    Under-achievers Spain even more spectacularly than usual.
    Forgotten team Portugal. One word. Manager.

Finding it hard to argue with this, but for the sake of it

Winners Holland (or at least get to final)
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers Denmark
    Under-achievers Brazil
    Forgotten team France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you havnt even got a clue what your talking about so go back into your Sky Tv and watch Andy Gray tell you what to think.

worst.putdown.ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Nobody should write off USA.

They could upset England and should handily beat the other two in their group.

They are a very solid unit with every player working very hard for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Winners Argentina
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast (is that tinged with racism? :pac:)
    Over-achievers Australia
    Under-achievers Italy
    Forgotten team France

Finding it hard to argue with this, but for the sake of it

Winners Holland (or at least get to final)
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast
    Over-achievers Denmark
    Under-achievers Brazil
    Forgotten team France
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Winners Argentina
    Dark Horse Ivory Coast (is that tinged with racism? :pac:)
    Over-achievers Australia
    Under-achievers Italy
    Forgotten team France

Interested in these predos. Mayordenis do you think the Argies can turn it around? I know they have some great players but they have been a complete joke from what I've seen lately.

And Holland, always have an abundance of talent but always seem to fail. Will RVP be fit and ready, that's a big question for me? Obviously had a great qualifying campaign but it has to be said their group was easy. Can't see them going further than the semis at best. Tough enough group for them as well, although I'm sure they'll get out of it. You can get Holland at 14/1 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

-Winners: Portugal
    -Dark Horse: Mexico
    -Overachievers: France
    -Underachivers: Brazil/Argentina
    -Fogotten Team: USA

just made up an excel predictor sheet, you can put in the scores, and the group stages and knockout stages update automatically.

this world cup is going to be full of shocks in my opinion.

if anyone wants a copy, pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Winners Germany
    Dark Horse Serbia
    Over-achievers Serbia
    Under-achievers Spain:eek:
    Forgotten team Portugal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

Winners brazil
    Dark Horse france
    Over-achievers north korea(if they dont lose by 5 goals in every game they have over achieved)
    Under-achievers england
    Forgotten team Slovenia[/QUOTE]

Winners Germany
    Dark Horse Ghana
    Over-achievers Australia
    Under-achievers England
    Forgotten team Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

england, germany, italy in the semi finals. the 4th will be a surprise. from the semi's its anyones game tbh. luck becomes a major factor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Winners - Spain
    Dark Horse - Germany
    Over-achievers - USA
    Under-achievers - Argentina
    Forgotten team - France

Hope that USA can do what they did in the Confederations Cup. Hope I'm right about France being the forgotten time :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ivory Coast or Ghana to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Winners - Argentina
    Dark Horse - Germany
    Over-achievers - South Africa
    Under-achievers - Spain
    Forgotten team - France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm going to use the conventional definition of a dark horse if it's ok with the OP since surely the prediction of a 'dark horse to win it' would be the same as the prediction of the winner. :confused:

-Winners: Brazil
    -Dark Horse: Denmark
    -Overachievers: Chile
    -Underachivers: France
    -Forgotten Team: Italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Winners Brazil
    Dark Horse Italy
    Over-achievers Serbia
    Under-achievers Holland
    Forgotten team Argentina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Winners England
    Dark horse ivory coast
    Over achievers serbia
    Under achievers France
    Forgotten team Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Winners: Brazil
    Dark Horse: USA
    Over-achievers: OZ
    Under-achievers: Portugal
    Forgotten team: Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Im not saying a DARK HORSE to do well im using it as to WIN it so your pick Denmark is pretty ridiculous. Just try and understand something before you wade in with your useless negative dribble.

you need to understand what the term 'dark horse' means.

as far as i'm concerned, and i think for the vast majority of people, it's a team who you don't even watch or notice getting through the competition, but due to a good draw or good form make it far, (eg. a denmark), and end up having a chance to win it when nobody expected it. look at South Korea in 2002 for example.

germany, mate, are always noticed. strictly speaking, since their 6th/7th favourites, you may have half a case, but to ridicule someone for choosing Denmark, who are prime example of a potential dark horse, is amusing.

Winners: Spain
    Dark Horses: Ivory Coast
    Over-Achievers: USA
    Under-Achievers: Brazil
    Forgotten Team: Argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Main Entry: dark horse
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: remote possibility
    Synonyms:
    also-ran, hundred-to-one shot, improbability, little chance, little opportunity, long shot, outside chance, outside shot, poor bet, poor lookout, poor possibility, poor prognosis, poor prospect, sleeper, slim chance, small chance, stalking horse, underdog, unexpected winner, unknown, unknown quantity, unlikelihood, unlikely winner, upsetter

Lol @ me-skywalker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Winners: Spain
    Dark Horse: Serbia
    Over-achievers: Ghana
    Under-achievers: Argentina
    Forgotten team: Japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭GO'S

Winners Argentina
    Dark Horse Paraguay
    Over-achievers Ghana
    Under-achievers Italy
    Forgotten team Algeria..Who?

Lol @ me-skywalker.

live betting from paddypower.ie to win outright...

Spain 4/1
    Brazil 5/1
    England 11/2
    Argentina 9/1
    Italy 12/1
    France 12/1
    Germany 14/1

LOL @ dannydiamond(will give you kudos for the Flaming Lips lyric)

Germany definitley are being considered outsiders... even BEHIND France for godsake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Germany definitley are being considered outsiders... even BEHIND France for godsake!

this doesn't make them dark horses.

also, you do know there are 32 teams? 6th/7th when brazil, argentina, england, spain, netherlands, italy etc al are around doesn't make them a denmark or a ghana.

plus they qualified easily.

everyone will still expect them to do very well. they always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Winners - Holland
    Darkhorse - Australia:eek:
    Forgotten - France
    Overachiement - Slovenia
    Underachievment - England

• Advertisement
Advertisement