Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable mods in cycling forum

Options
  • 04-12-2009 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I appear to be banned from the cycling forum but have not received any notification of the ban or reason for it. Please help. Ihave had a dispute with a category mederator "uberwolf" regarding his/her non action over posts that gleefully admit to acts of criminal damage by cyclists against cars/drivers.
    The double standards on the forum is breath taking in the extreme. But the lack of courtesy to explain or notify me of my ban is just bad manners. Please explain
    Tim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

You should have been automatically notified of the reason for your ban by the system.

I did err in my ban originally and have to undo it, before banning you for the intended length of time. This may have caused a problem with the message you should have been sent. I have tried to correct it.

Ban, as explained in thread and by PM is for questioning mod action twice in thread. You have no entitlement to second guess 'double standards'. You break a rule, you get banned. If you don't like a rule, raise the question, by PM or dedicated response to charter, and wait for a response - do not take upon yourself to question in thread once you deem enough time to have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

I belatedly received an unsatisfactory explanation of the reason for a 2 week ban. I have questioned the category mod on this and will await a reply. Not surprisingly, it was uberwolf who slapped me with the ban stick
    Heres hoping for a reasonable response

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You should await a reply from the category Mod before starting a thread here.

Please post back when you've had a response from them and you're unhappy with it - otherwise the Admins are not going to get involved

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You should await a reply from the category Mod before starting a thread here.

Please post back when you've had a response from them and you're unhappy with it - otherwise the Admins are not going to get involved
    Uberwolf has explained the ban. I'm not happy about it but I'll live with it.
    It seems that the root cause of my objections and questioning of the nature of discussions on the Cycling forum is the laissez faire attitude of Moderators and Category Moderator to posts relating to criminal behaviour. Surely the forum charter should outlaw such posts?

If we banned discussion on every thing which might possibly be illegal/immoral/against the rules - it wouldn't be much of a discussion.

There is a difference between facilitating discussion and encouraging illegal activity.

• Advertisement

If we banned discussion on every thing which might possibly be illegal/immoral/against the rules - it wouldn't be much of a discussion.

There is a difference between facilitating discussion and encouraging illegal activity.
    I agree that there is a difference between facilitating discussion and encouraging illegal activity. The posts that I am referring to on that forum actually do encourage illegal activity.
    It usually involves a cyclist posting about a collision or near miss with a motorist. Posts then turn sinister, usually involving a cyclist admitting to kicking off a motorists car mirror (criminal damage which can cost several hundred euro's to repair). The post is usually written in a triumpalist and vigilante fashion and is usally implicitly condoned or justified by other posters (either by follow up posts or "thanking" the offending post)
    The mods/cmod police the threads quite vigourously but see fit to leave such posts unreprimanded and thereby offering their own tacit approval of such posts. Questioning such mod behaviour appears to be a greater threat to the forum than the tacit approval of criminal behaviour:rolleyes:
    The solution, I feel is for the forum charter gets updated to outlaw any post either admitting to criminal behaviour or promoting such behaviour. This wouldnt inconvenience or silence reasonable people. In fact, the only people who should have a problem with it are CRIMINALS - please consider implementing my suggestion.
    Heres hoping.
    Tim

I defer to their judgement on that I'm afraid.

Personally I don't think what you're seeking would be really enforcable and/or in the best interests of discussion even if it was.

It's obvious that you and the forum mods won't see eye to eye on that issue - but there is little that can be done about that I'm afraid. Not everyone will like what is posted by others on sites like this - that is part of the online experience I'm afraid.

I defer to their judgement on that I'm afraid.

Personally I don't think what you're seeking would be really enforcable and/or in the best interests of discussion even if it was.

It's obvious that you and the forum mods won't see eye to eye on that issue - but there is little that can be done about that I'm afraid. Not everyone will like what is posted by others on sites like this - that is part of the online experience I'm afraid.
    Your reply offers no logical explanation for refusing a reasonable request to ban posts of a criminal nature except that you wont. It is condescending in the extreme to suggest that "...there is little that can be done about that..."
    You could quite easily update the charter but you seem to be simply ignoring the issue and deciding not to do anything.
    Personally I see the request to be easily implementable and quite enforceable given the zealous policing of forum by the mods. I would counter your assertion that banning criminal posts wouldnt be in the best interests of discussion - how is allowing criminal posts in the interest of mature, responsible discussion?
    I guess, by implication, the cycling forum offers a voice for criminals.

Is there another level I can take my appeal to?

You could quite easily update the charter but you seem to be simply ignoring the issue and deciding not to do anything.

As I said - that's how you feel, and I've no intention of trying to dissuade you out of your point of view. It doesn't mesh with ours, and that's unfortunate, but it is a fact of life none the less. I don't see any pressing need for changes.
    Is there another level I can take my appeal to?

No, there is not. The Admins are the final level, and you've had our input on the matter.

Advertisement