Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm buying this...

Options
  • 05-12-2009 12:00am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am ordering this system from Hardwareversand on Monday. Unless anyone can point out any glaring mistakes and or omissions.

I need this computer to run all my intensive engineering applications and play some sweet ass games.

Intel Core i7-920 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express

6GB-Triple-Kit Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 DDR3, CL9

Coolermaster Elite RC-330 schwarz mit Fenster, ohne Netzteil

Corsair VX550W 550 Watt

Powercolor HD5770 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB, 32MB, ST3750528AS

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB SATA II ST380815AS

LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II

Hanns-G HW191DP, 19", DVI, 5ms, Widescreen

Logitech Rechargeable 1500 Cordless Desktop

1.134,36 € +30 € shipping

Discuss

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

all that and only a 19" monitor?

:'(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kaimera wrote: »
    all that and only a 19" monitor?

:'(
    Exactly what I was thinking. You're spending over a grand. Spend another €100 and get a 24" monitor. They're great to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I agree, 19" screens are wayyyy too small.

Also you might want to throw in a decent cpu cooler like the megahalem, true or noctua if you plan on overclocking

That gigabyte x58 mobo is a great one, have it myself, theres a fix out today for the multiplier for the Gulftown 6 core :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

So the PC I have selected is okay? No compatibility issues or anything?

Is 19 inch really too small?? I work on 17 inch monitors all day and I find them to be perfectly alright.

Pi^2 wrote: »

Is 19 inch really too small?? I work on 17 inch monitors all day and I find them to be perfectly alright.
    yeah, its fine and all compatible, id go for a 5850 if you can though, they should be in stock in online retailers over the next few days.

yeah, seriously 19" is too small, may as well go 24" as you'll probably have that screen for at least 5 years. Ive a 22" but use a 24" at work, it makes my 22" look crap lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Do you have the OS already?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It just seems like a wasted opportunity tbh, I wouldn't have anything less than 22" (I have 2 22" at work and am getting a second one for at home as soon as I can afford it). Also, I'd get 2ms response time.

Kharn wrote: »
    It just seems like a wasted opportunity tbh, I wouldn't have anything less than 22" (I have 2 22" at work and am getting a second one for at home as soon as I can afford it). Also, I'd get 2ms response time.
    2 screen setups are great, ive 3 screens setup, 2 19" ones and the 22", for some games i just use 2 screens but have temp monitoring etc on the other monitor and er game walkthroughs and the likes lol.

I shall look into a bigger monitor so (pun intended)!
    Do you have the OS already?

Thanks for that question.

I do. Puppy Linux!

I also have Windows Xp. Might upgrade to Windows 7 at some stage.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Kharn wrote: »
    Also, I'd get 2ms response time.

Why?

There's not even nearly a noticeable difference...

Also op what software will you be using with this pc, the i7 is not the best thing for games and only beneficial when dealing with multi threaded programs.

For the price they're asking for a 5770 i'd get a 4890 (it's cheaper ffs)!!!

Also a 450watt psu would be fine for that rig.

Also can i just point out that hardwareversand seemed to have really let their pricing slip!(or ebuyer have just got a lot cheaper) i priced the exact same build on ebuyer.com for around 80euro cheaper delivered!

Also take note on the ram that cheaper is usually better value for money. The speed of the ram is not worth it's price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Pi^2 wrote: »

OP lose the Seagate Barracuda's and get Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TBs, next best thing to SSD's. Make sure to go for a i7 920 DO as they overclock so easy with latest gigabyte bios you can hit 3.8ghz so easy its a joke :D

The power of your planned system is wasted on a 19" screen tbh.

Also op what software will you be using with this pc, the i7 is not the best thing for games and only beneficial when dealing with multi threaded programs.

Relative to what?

I will be using AutoCad and Mathematica and all sorts of power hungry programs. Also I'm partial to a bit of 2d and 3d animation, video/audio editing etc etc...

Again, thanks all

Effluo wrote: »
    Why?

There's not even nearly a noticeable difference...
    On a G2G 8ms is slightly noticable, 2ms is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Common now ladies, 22/24" monitors are so last year...26/27" is where its at now, just ask you auld wan !

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you're case is weak and you've no cooler listed. the i7s run hot. very hot. I advise getting a decent aftermarket cooler and a case with better airflow if you plan on putting it under load much.

Btw, afaik Mathematica will only take advantage of the i7 extra virtual cores if you code the app to do so. Audio and video editing should, but it depends on the app used. Autocad I'm not sure about, and animation will depend, but at the moment i think there aren't many animation apps that will scale effectively to the i7. I'd do a bit more research on the apps i use if I were you, I'm not sure you'll stand to gain as much as you'd think. Specifically, try and find out how well they support the hyperthreading.

Oh and get a Spinpoint f3 over the Barracuda imo.

Advertisement