Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car Wash

Options
  • 05-12-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tried that new car wash place on the ballysimon/tipp road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes, the car wash is good but their mini/express valet is a waste of money.

€25. They do not clean the inside of the glass(barely cleaned the outside - i had to call him back to get bird sh*t off the windows), blacken the exterior plastic or tyres. They do not wax the outside either. They simply chamois the excess water off it.

They hoover the inside, wash the outside in the car wash, polish the dash and plastics interior and spray a nice smell.

Avoid the valeting and use the car wash which is quite good. If you really need a valet then head to harveys quay who always do a good job for €5 extra but at least they actually finish the valet you would normally expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thanks Berty, the drive through wash do they dry the car?

Thanks Berty, the drive through wash do they dry the car?

Sort of but unlike other car wash's the drying machine thing does not move down towards your car. Although it is powerful it does not move and like most car wash's just went you think its dry something drips on your car. :mad:

The manual jet wash has a cool thing I have never seen before. It has a high pressure air dryer. You walk around the car and it blows all the water off the car. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    Sort of but unlike other car wash's the drying machine thing does not move down towards your car. Although it is powerful it does not move and like most car wash's just went you think its dry something drips on your car. :mad:

The manual jet wash has a cool thing I have never seen before. It has a high pressure air dryer. You walk around the car and it blows all the water off the car. :D

Why would anyone in Ireland be mad at some water drops on their car, have you seen the weather for the past month?:eek:

phog wrote: »
    Why would anyone in Ireland be mad at some water drops on their car, have you seen the weather for the past month?:eek:

The weather at the moment is besides the point. Those drops from a car wash actually dry onto the paintwork because they have chemicals in them and then require to be rubbed out with a chamois or similar. The same goes for the glass and chrome.

If the machine actually dried the car fully then you wouldn't need to do this.

Normal rainwater does not stain like this and if the car is waxed properly or professionaly then the rain will just bead off the car and will not stain.

I was back at the car wash today because my car was absolutely filthy! It had not been washed in around 2 months. The windscreen was filthy and one thing I noticed was that unlike your regular run of the mill drive through wash's this one does not have anything to really clean the windscreen. It has this soft cloth type thing which just laps back and forth over the top of your car and doesn't really put enough pressure to clean the windscreen. I had to ask him afterwards for the sponge so I could basically finish the job.

I just won't bother going back a 3rd time. If I do get a new car in the new year then I wont bother with drive through wash's as they can damage the paintwork. I inhereted a few paintwork damages from the previous owner of my current car so I don't bother treating it as well as it would normally deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

If you truly care for your cars paintwork than youll hand wash it yourself all those car washes are very bad news for paintwork!

Very true puntosporting, but as someone said above, with the weather at the moment its very hard to get time to wash the car!

I normally do it myself but car is filthy and I want to get it washed. Whats the best car machine wash because valet centers are tres expensive.

Any opinions on soft cloth (dock rd or superquinn)?

I couldn't use the Dock road because the road itself is filthy so what's the point? As soon as you leave the car is filthy again.

Superquinn. I used it once and although supossedly its the same as the dock I thought "meh". It didn't get under the sills or the lower part of the back bumper.

Only a good sponge wash will get the car properly clean.

Normally in the good weather I will do it myself. If its really bad I will get it sponge washed in the Texaco on Mulgrave Street. The thing about that place is that if you go on a Friday evening or Saturday then its jam packed and you get the average wash. If you go on a Friday afternoon around 3pm then you get the guy to lavish his time on your car. It costs €8 and if I feel he put in a good job then I give him €2.

The place behind the Maxol at the Groody roundabout is hit and miss. Mostly they just rush you through but in their defence they also do a squegee and chamois at the end. Also if you get €20 of fuel in the shop then you get €2 off and they do a loyalty card. I have a maxol card so it can be handy for me.

Tom Chawke's is a good wash BUT only if I can get it half price. Every so often you see a sign saying half price wash OR half price wash if you spend €20 on fuel. Maxol fuel cards also work in Texaco's so its handy. That specific machine give it a good thorough wash as it has a double roller thing for the roof/bonnet/boot instead of one all the others have.

So you think Chawkes is probably one of the best?

So you think Chawkes is probably one of the best?

Only when they have an offer on price otherwise I wouldn't bother with the top wash and would just ge the cheap and cheerful one and finish off the car at home.

Example, yesterday the car was soo bad I washed the alloys, wings mirrors, behind the tow bar and the lower front bumper before I left to let the car wash do the rest.

Why didn't I just do the car you ask? I didn't have a good clean sponge or car shampoo and it was raining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement