Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bid To Beat X Factor 'Karaoke Act' To No 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Biggins wrote: »
    Thousands of music fans have joined a campaign to block this year's X Factor winner from clinching the Christmas number one.

More than 43,000 people have pledged to buy an anti-authority, expletive-ridden track from 1992 by Rage Against The Machine.
    They are supporting a web campaign which aims to fight Simon Cowell's perceived stranglehold over the UK charts.
    The Facebook group explains: "Fed up of Simon Cowell's latest karaoke act being Christmas number one?
    "Me too... So who's up for a mass-purchase of the track Killing In The Name... as a protest to the X Factor b******s?"

More here: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/X-Factor-Could-Be-Beaten-To-Christmas-Number-One-By-Anti-Simon-Cowell-Facebook-Campaign/Article/200912115491121?lpos=Showbiz_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15491121_X_Factor_Could_Be_Beaten_To_Christmas_Number_One_By_Anti-Simon_Cowell_Facebook_Campaign

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2228594104&v=info

If anyone other then Joe wins, I might just join that facebook page :cool:.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This year the Christmas No.1 will be announced on Sunday 20th December

Which means FOR ENGLAND (not sure about Ireland)...
    ONLY buy the track from 7Digital / iTunes / Play.com between these dates:
    SUNDAY 13/12 from 00:01am -to- SATURDAY 19/12 at 11:59pm

34tdesw.jpg

If people want to buy the X Factor winners single, they should. Simon Cowell might be making millions from it but if his act is good, there is no reason why people should be jealous and try to sabotage it for them. Some of this years finalists are great singers and don't sound like karaoke singers. I'm sure the huge majority of people don't think they do anyway, just jealous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think it's a fantastic idea. Doubt I'm bothered enough to buy the single, considering I already have it, but I agree with the sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

unlike last year, when people tried to do this aswell, with a song simon also had the rights for, so in doing so lined his pockets even more!!

I watch the xfactor, love it, but have never purchased one cd belonging to anybody on it.. they just not my cup of tea, they all turn out to be manafactured pop crap... however in saying that love RATM.. and just think it would be awesome to see them at number one.. altho i very much doubt that they will.. but even a top ten, would be pretty funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Genius idea. They should've picked something more abstract though.

BIRD BIRD BIRD. BIRD IS THE WORD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

43,000 sales doesn't get you a Christmas number one though.

Now if it was The Chipmunks...I'd be all for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Talk about censorship, this Facebook page has been shut down. Probably by cowell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

still works for me.313000 members now!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

This year the Christmas No.1 will be announced on Sunday 20th December

Which means FOR ENGLAND (not sure about Ireland)...
    ONLY buy the track from 7Digital / iTunes / Play.com between these dates:
    SUNDAY 13/12 from 00:01am -to- SATURDAY 19/12 at 11:59pm

Irish dates are between the 18th and the 23rd. Although IRMA told me the count starts from the night of the 17th

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=231784611232

• Advertisement

Simon Cowell: No 1 campaign stupid

feqqmf.jpg
    Simon Cowell has branded a campaign to prevent the X Factor winner from having the Christmas No 1 single as "stupid" and "cynical".

He also said he felt it was "dismissive" of the show's viewers and that he felt the campaign was aimed at him.
    A group set up on Facebook is calling for people to make rock band Rage Against The Machine's 1992 single Killing In The Name this year's No 1.
    It currently has 548,000 members.

Speaking at a press conference with the competition's finalists Stacey Solomon, Joe McElderry and Olly Murs, and its judges Dannii Minogue, Cheryl Cole and Louis Walsh, Simon said: "If there's a campaign, and I think the campaign's aimed directly at me, it's stupid. Me having a No 1 record at Christmas is not going to change my life particularly.
    "It does however change these guys' lives and we put this opportunity there so that the winner of the X Factor gets the chance of having a big hit record.
    "I think it's quite a cynical campaign geared at me which is actually going to spoil the party for these three.
    "I also think it's incredibly dismissive of the people who watch and enjoy the show... to treat our audiences as if they're stupid and I don't like that."

Simon also played down the impact of the trend for the X Factor's winner to take the No 1 spot.
    He said: "Everyone has this slightly distorted view of Christmas No 1s being incredible. There was that ghastly Cliff Richard song a few years ago, Bob The Builder. So we haven't exactly taken away anything special, it just so happens that our record, to coincide with the show, goes out at Christmas.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/10122009/19/simon-cowell-1-campaign-stupid.html

Another article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1234858/Simon-Cowell-slams-Facebook-campaign-attempting-prevent-X-Factor-Christmas-number-one.html

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

597,735 members now, refreshed the page a couple of mins later, 597,890. they'll probably have 600,000 by the end of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Main UK group has over 700,000 members and has crashed again.

(It has also raised over £16,700 for charity)

UK 'back-up' Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=mf&gid=37655682127

As mentioned, the Irish Group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&ref=ts&gid=231784611232

Don't buy until Dec 18th or it won't count towards Christmas #1 sales here.

(Phantom FM also supporting this and, for those who wish to, suggest donating to Focus Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Snowballs chance in hell that Rage will be at number 1

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Joe will get the number 1, though if everyone who joins that page buys the cd...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think the people who oranize this are a little bit thick

Instead of choosing the song that without their campaign would probably be #2 to the X-Factor winner (or at least one that would surely be somewhere in the top 10 at least), they pick some obscure yoke that means they're working from a starting point of zero - giving them an enormous amount of 'extra' copies to sell to get the track to number 1. I would have thought they'd have learned from this same mistake last year....but hell no!

Laois_Man wrote: »

Instead of choosing the song that without their campaign would probably be #2 to the X-Factor winner (or at least one that would surely be somewhere in the top 10 at least), they pick some obscure yoke that means they're working from a starting point of zero - giving them an enormous amount of 'extra' copies to sell to get the track to number 1. I would have thought they'd have learned from this same mistake last year....but hell no!

Killing in the name is hardly obscure. Part of the "fun" is trying to get a 17 year old song to number one, and raise a bit of cash for charity in the process.

Killing in the name is hardly obscure. Part of the "fun" is trying to get a 17 year old song to number one, and raise a bit of cash for charity in the process.

OK...Obscure was a poor choice of a word by me.

The point is if their goal is to displace X-Factor from Christmas #1, they're not going the cleverest way about it.

But if the goal is to have fun with it, ah well why didn't they say so.

P.S. I didn't know it was anything to do with charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

OK...Obscure was a poor choice of a word by me.

The point is if their goal is to displace X-Factor from Christmas #1, they're not going the cleverest way about it.

But if the goal is to have fun with it, ah well why didn't they say so.

P.S. I didn't know it was anything to do with charity.

The top songs are Su Bo, JLS, Cheryl Cole, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, Alexandra and Leona.

5 of these are on Cowell's label, the other groups got publicity on X Factor and are on Sony too I think

Don't forget there is the Irish Rage for Xmas facebook group.

And DONT BUY THE SINGLE IN IRELAND UNTIL AFTER THE 18TH!!!!

please let people interested know this!!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=2228594104#/group.php?gid=231784611232&ref=ts

• Advertisement

If you knew how the charts are counted then you would know that they are taken from the sales of the previous week to the publication of the chart and not added up week on week.

ie if i single sold 5000 copies one week, it doesn't meant that those 5000 are counted again the following week. Otherwise we'd still have Michael Jacksons Thriller at number one all these years later!

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    The top songs are Su Bo, JLS, Cheryl Cole, Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, Alexandra and Leona.

5 of these are on Cowell's label, the other groups got publicity on X Factor and are on Sony too I think

Black Eye'd Peas are on Universal...That'd do!

Hell, even Terry Wogan's new song would do....at least they'd be picking a song that's already in the charts anyway and wouldn't have as far to climb!

at least they'd be picking a song that's already in the charts anyway and wouldn't have as far to climb!

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Every song is starting from the same point (zero) at the start of every week.

As Paul said:
    paulhannon wrote: »
    if i single sold 5000 copies one week, it doesn't meant that those 5000 are counted again the following week. Otherwise we'd still have Michael Jacksons Thriller at number one all these years later!

Takk wrote: »
    What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Every song is starting from the same point (zero) at the start of every week.

As Paul said:

Of course it makes sense....you're just not understanding.

If they chose a song like the new Back Eyed Peas single, they have loads of help from people who have nothing to do with this campaign or who perhaps don't even know about it but who are buying the single anyway....of which there will be thousands due to the fact that it will be in the top 10 regardless ....thereby, giving themselves a good start. Easy!

Looks like the X-factor song is on track to be beaten...
    ...news has just reached Snap, Crackle and Pop that Rage Against The Machine are on course to defeat Joe McElderry and thwart Simon Cowell in his bid to claim a fifth straight festive chart-topper.

According to midweek figures, Rage's "Killing In The Name" leads the "X-Factor" winner's showpiece effort, "The Climb", by around 5,000 units. The news has been confirmed by the Official Charts Company, with a spokesman gushing: "This is shaping up to be a very exciting battle between two different records which have captured the nation's imagination. But, although Rage Against The Machine have started off in front, according to our initial sales estimates, there is no doubt that this tussle is far from over."

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/snapcrackleandpop/33227/rage-winning-chart-battle/

Of course it makes sense....you're just not understanding.

If they chose a song like the new Back Eyed Peas single, they have loads of help from people who have nothing to do with this campaign or who perhaps don't even know about it but who are buying the single anyway....of which there will be thousands due to the fact that it will be in the top 10 regardless ....thereby, giving themselves a good start. Easy!

What you said first didn't make any sense. This post makes clearer what you were trying to say.

Need to remember physical sales are going to bridge that gap quite quickly. Its only 5000 units ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

perpersonally I would have gone for the terry wogan one. it will sell as such a well known figure singing when it is not what they are best known foris bound to draw in additional sales, plus it is for charity.

remember how well kate winslet and nicole kidman singles did.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Surely Rage have to be number 1. That X-Factor single is dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Is there any place where I can download this song in Ireland where it will contribute towards the UK charts, I've tried Amazon but no go.

(I original bought this album in 1992, but have lost the tape, and tape player)

Advertisement