Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookings and Cancellations

Options
  • 05-12-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I said I'd ask this here, it is quite commercially related.

I have been wondering, as per the title, what the standard procedure is with bookings and cancellations? I've had a couple of cases in the last couple of months where clients have had to cancel a day's work, for whatever reason, usually at pretty late notice. I've been wondering what to do in these situations in the future, with regards to loss of expected income. Is it the norm to have a deposit involved? What is the best way to implement such a scheme?

Cheers,

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

There is no norm really. I think it's OK to ask for a booking deposit if you make it clear why. It's the art of selling/ running a business. That said, I used to only ask for booking deposits if the potential client seemed like a flake. Worked well. They balked at the idea and never bothered me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

If you're in any way busy you need to be avoiding cancellations.

If it costs nothing to cancel and the punter goes out the night before and couldn't be arsed getting up on studio day, he'll cancel.

But if he was to loose his 100 Euro Deposit, he'd get up, have the fry, arrive 2 hours late ..... but you get paid !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

That's what I'm thinking myself Paul. I am, thankfully, a little busy these days (as much as I can be fitting things around college) so I think it'll have to be implemented in the new year. How do you usually go about it though? A bank transfer? I often don't have the chance to meet clients beforehand, for obvious reasons, so I think that would be the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭shayleon

I always take a deposit. 100 Euro per day.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

depends on session i work on % if someone books 3 days you gotta be looking for a good 25-50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

That's what I'm thinking myself Paul. I am, thankfully, a little busy these days (as much as I can be fitting things around college) so I think it'll have to be implemented in the new year. How do you usually go about it though? A bank transfer? I often don't have the chance to meet clients beforehand, for obvious reasons, so I think that would be the easiest option.

There are tons of ways of getting money - transfer, cheque, draft, paypal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Yeah, paypal would be an option alright. Anyway, thanks for your help lads, much appreciated!

Advertisement