Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need PHP support for a simple website?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 10:02am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello people.

I'm putting together a few very simple websites, some may be just one page. One however will be a bit more and for a charity. I would also like to use all possibly language types for my own education.
    On Digiweb I have to pay double for PHP or MySQL support. Is this necessary? Should I pay the extra for it? I'll be using Dreamweaver, I presume I can upload whatever I make in Dreamweaver to it.
    Is it a simple process to upload something I've made from DW? And lastly, do I have to have the domain bought and registered before starting the webste making process? I'm asked for it once I open DW.
    Thanks!

EDIT: I know I said one is for a charity but we're not looking for money so there'll be no need for 'donate' technology or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Will your website do anything that requires a scripting or database back end? If yes then you will need scripting/database support. If no then you will not need scripting/database support.

In other words - I can't tell you what your website needs, unless you say what it does. Though from the vague way you've phrased your question, I think you need to make sure you keep things as simple as possible, and avoid using things you don't understand.

Edit to add: Yes you can start developing before you register a domain. I'd advise installing Apache, MySQL and PHP on your system and trying your site on that. If you're running windows, you can get these packaged together in a thing called WAMP. It's easy to install, and comes with good instructions/examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

If your website is going to be dynamic (the user has to actually do something) then yes, you're going to need some sort of scripting language to communicate with the database.

If it's just a static website where all there is just hard coded text/images then you don't need PHP as it can all be done using HTML.

http://inasite.com/resources/static_vs_dynamic_websites.html

Advertisement