Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Lanesborough

• 05-12-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All
    Relocating due to work commitments (great to have a job I know) to Lanesborough Co Roscommon. The problem is I am moving from the bottom of a mountain out in the sticks here in Co Cavan where I have moved with the times and have been using Broadband for the last 3 years via landline. I used to contract for Eircom and know a little about switching lines of carriers etc and was able to get a perfect line from the exchange.
    I now find myself going backwards so to speak!!
    Renting a house in a lovely new estate just overlooking the shannon and can't get broadband through my landline. Satellite providers want stupid money for the install and equipment (it must be a previlage to have their service).
    3 network tell me over the phone wireless won't work but they say it will via their website.

Anyhow I feel like moaning all morning cause in general it feels to me like we are all going backwards instead of moving on! but I won't bore you.

I think I am going to try 3 and see how I get on with it.

Couple of questions, whats your experience of downloading stuff like torrents from the 3 network, I like my music a lot but its a rescession and a savings is a savings at the end of the day!!!

Is there a trial period for the 3 network as the "lovely lady" on the phone told me that I won't get it and thats that....

Thanks all and hope you all have a great day.

FAF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

fafsplace wrote: »
    Couple of questions, whats your experience of downloading stuff like torrents from the 3 network, I like my music a lot but its a rescession and a savings is a savings at the end of the day!!!
    3 is complete rubbish - it's not real Broadband. Have a look at the Megathread under Midband. If you are used to DSL, you will tear you hair out with 3 Midband. You are wasting your money to go near them. Even if there is a trial period, it might work ok for the trial, and then become congested a week later when you are tied into a contract. You don't appear to be in the National Broadband Scam(NBS) area. If you were, you might be able to force 3 to give you their satellite option - which they are obliged to do at the same price. That way you would get Satellite at a reasonable price. Satellite will be significantly more reliable than 3 Midband.

3 also charge heavily if you go over your cap. Your idea of saving money in the recession could easily backfire unless you are very disciplined in limiting your downloads.

Eircom appear to have Lanesboro on their list of exchanges for end 2009. Maybe you would be better waiting for this?

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

lastmile cover lanesborough as well. they have a mast on the power station. see www.lastmile.ie. my understanding is that performance wise they are sort of in between 3G and DSL

XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Although a better service than 3, Lastmile are very strict about their cap which isn't much more than 3's (20GB on 1Mbit), its per rolling month which is very unfair and they throttle You back to dial up speed. Once Throttled You have to completely stop using their service till You become unthrottled, then wait a few more days to build up a cap again. If You keep using it while throttled you'll never become unthrottled as the cap is so low, very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fafsplace

Thanks all
    I think I'll wait and see about Eircom given thats its only a few weeks to 2010. thanks Cowboy

Lastmile is an option but I have only heard bad reports about them and their service is questionable.

Will speak with Eircom guys on Monday if I can find one along the road to see whats the chances of exchange been enabled before the end of 2009.

Once again thanks

Advertisement