Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bare minimum

Options
  • 05-12-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

What is the minimum you need to pass a semester/year?
    If you fail a core subject do you need to repeat?
    etc. etc.

Stuff to re-assure people on whats needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

To go to the next stage you need to pass 10 out of 12 modules. You need to either resit or repeat core modules if you fail them. Elective modules also have to be either resat, repeated or substituted for another module. Resitting/repeating/substituting modules all incur a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you get an E, it can be compensated (and treated like a pass) if your GPA is high enough, and you wont need to resit/repeat it. This can only be done for 2 subjects in a year AFAIK.

To reassure people or to reassure yourself, Ginja Ninja? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Both,I've failed one of my project-based core modules,but I'm sitting on 38%.So, i'm pretty sure I'm grand as long as I don't fail anything else.I'm not too worried I've had an awesome time in college so far,if I'm gone,I'm gone.

Not a great attitude for a class rep but sure,what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I'm doing repeats now. If my maths are right, I only need to pass one to reach the required 10 in a normal year to progress. Worst case scenario if I failed one, but pass another one, can I progress to next year, and do the repeats once more the alongside new modules etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

SRFC90 wrote: »
    I'm doing repeats now. If my maths are right, I only need to pass one to reach the required 10 in a normal year to progress. Worst case scenario if I failed one, but pass another one, can I progress to next year, and do the repeats once more the alongside new modules etc?

You can progress into your next stage with 2 repeats. So yes, you could progress if you failed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Both,I've failed one of my project-based core modules,but I'm sitting on 38%.So, i'm pretty sure I'm grand as long as I don't fail anything else.I'm not too worried I've had an awesome time in college so far,if I'm gone,I'm gone.

Not a great attitude for a class rep but sure,what can you do?
    Ernie Ball is turning in his grave :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

...You bastard. I'd managed to forget he ever existed. And my life was much better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

min GPA of 2.0.

To go into stage 2 you need 50/60 credits.

And you can compensate for 3 E's in a stage(year), once your overall GPA is above 2.0 before the compensation is applied(e's are given a GPA allotment of 1.8)

however if you are entering stage 2, and have less then the 60 credits you may not have all the pre-requirements for your next stages classes.

as in, if in semester 2 of first year you fail maths 1, and in first semester of second year you have maths 2 as a core class. Maths 2 might require you to of passed maths 1 as a pre-requisite.

In which case you enter into stage X.

What this means is, you can do all subjects in stage 2 that you are eligable for(meet pre-requisites for) so long as their timetable doesnt clash with your subjects from year previous...

Stage x can be messy! but means your going to have to pay extra and graduate later then rest of your class

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

im on 40 percent before going into the exam thanks to my essay, just wondering do you need to pass the ritten exam in order to pass the whole module? also if you get a c+ is it worth 65 or 70 percent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

im on 40 percent before going into the exam thanks to my essay, just wondering do you need to pass the ritten exam in order to pass the whole module? also if you get a c+ is it worth 65 or 70 percent?

Grade scale in Uni is different to Leaving cert,

AFAIK,
    A is 70+%
    B is 60+%
    C is 50+%
    D is 40+%
    E is 30+%

The diff between an A1 and an A3 etc is, the grades increase in increments of 3.33%
    as in 72% would be an A3 or A- but 74 would be an A2 or A

Similarily 47 would be a D1 or D+ whilst 53 would be a C3 or C-

Oh an some courses require you to pass the exam, others do not... depends on the module!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Look at the "new" part of this spreadsheet for the exact breakdown of the gradescale used in most UCD courses (those where the pass mark is 40%): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55551479&postcount=2

Advertisement