Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ripping Video from RTE Player

• 05-12-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Anybody know how to rip video from RTE Player? I've tried the firefox unplug add-on but no joy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Unless, I'm missing something, right click on it and there's an option to download to realplayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Not that I can see. RTE player uses flash. Which UnPlug should have latched onto...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

rte have protection on there videos to stop them being downloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

dunno about rte, but if you are downloading flash vids its trial and error. sometimes you'll need down them all plus two or three other downloaders loaded to get stuff off different sites. once you have them, use vlc player (best player imo) or flv player from download.com to watch em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Anybody know how to rip video from RTE Player? I've tried the firefox unplug add-on but no joy.

Check youtube account rteplayer. They have a good fewe shorter pieces on there, and its straightfowarad to rip from youtube.

• Advertisement

Check youtube account rteplayer. They have a good fewe shorter pieces on there, and its straightfowarad to rip from youtube.

"snag it" does the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

Bump for suggestions.

And it would help if suggestions have been verified to work BEFORE posting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Streaming_Protocol

It's encrypted, no dice. You'd have to use a screen capture app instead to get the sound and video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

realplayer used to be able to do it ( worked for me )

it records it as u watch it ,

"snag it" does the trick
    themadhair wrote: »
    Bump for suggestions.

And it would help if suggestions have been verified to work BEFORE posting them.

Snagit....Verified a year ago :)

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

Ull have to use "Camtasia" to record the screen and ull need to have a sound recording device such as a mic or a x-fi sound card...

Ull have to use "Camtasia" to record the screen and ull need to have a sound recording device such as a mic or a x-fi sound card...

Are you serious? You dont need a €300 piece of software to do it!!!

Snagit....Verified a year ago :)

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp
    Screen capture isn't ripping, plus there is a noticeable loss in quality. It is the last resort option that one would rather not have to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cian_mac

Try Replay Video Capture from http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/

cian_mac wrote: »
    Try Replay Video Capture from http://www.applian.com/replay-video-capture/
    Anyone can capture for free (eg: camstudio). The question is how to rip it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It can be done.

Jonathan wrote: »
    It can be done.
    Please share.

I can do BBCiPlayer, ComedyCentral, PBS, Channel4, etc. but cannot manage RTE Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I can do BBCiPlayer, ComedyCentral, PBS, Channel4, etc. but cannot manage RTE Player.

RTE encrypts theirs. I haven't found a way to do it. Would love to though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    RTE encrypts theirs. I haven't found a way to do it. Would love to though.
    They don't actually.

They don't actually.

OK but home its so hard to rip from it then?

• Advertisement

They don't actually.
    Erm....they do actually. It isn't RTE themselves but the protocol they use that does it, RTMPE. The strange thing is that other sites that use a similar encryption, such as ComedyCentral, can be ripped from. The RTMPE format has been cracked for a quite a while now (and Adobe sending in the lawyers only helped to make it more known), and afaik this is format RTE use.

My problem seems to be in the way the RTE player works. There is no .flv or .mp4 that is being streamed, rather the player requests individual packets. When using a URL sniffer I can detect these individual packets (each is a few seconds worth of video), but I am at a loss how to successfully join them when attempting a rip. The player and the server to exchange keys for each segment. I can spoof the key for hte first segment (which leaves me with a few seconds of video), but I am at a loss how to successful automate the process for the remaining segments.

My problem seems to be in the way the RTE player works. There is no .flv or .mp4 that is being streamed, rather the player requests individual packets. When using a URL sniffer I can detect these individual packets (each is a few seconds worth of video), but I am at a loss how to successfully join them when attempting a rip. The player and the server to exchange keys for each segment. I can spoof the key for hte first segment (which leaves me with a few seconds of video), but I am at a loss how to successful automate the process for the remaining segments.

Hi,

I'm just reading up on this now. On other sites that use RTMPE you can sniff a .flv / .mp4 url but I can't seem to be able to do this for RTE Player.

I'm just using pmdump and a hex viewer.

My problem seems to be in the way the RTE player works. There is no .flv or .mp4 that is being streamed, rather the player requests individual packets.

Em... There is actually. :pac:

He's right there is. I can get the .mp4 url now but I am stuck after that.

OK I managed to download part of a file (about 5%) but thats the most I can get.
    ERROR: RTMP_Readpacket, failed to read RTMP packet body

Is it something to do with authentication Jonathan?

Em... There is actually. :pac:
    Not quite. For exampe with BBCiPlayer when you get past the handshake you are streaming pure .mp4 all the way. This isn't the case with RTE. Not sure how to best describe it, but RTE doesn't stream an .mp4, rather it streams loads of small .mp4 files which all require a key.

If you have a network sniffer you can see the difference. With BBC you have a single .mp4 URL. With RTE you have loads of .mp4 URLs.
    OK I managed to download part of a file (about 5%) but thats the most I can get.
    That is pretty my problem. Each .mp4 segment requires a key. Most sniffers/rippers can spoof the key during the initial handshake, but don't seem to be able to repeat the process when needed with RTE.

I got it!!!
    rtmpdump -a "rtevod?ovpfv=1.1" -r rtmpe://fmsod.rte.ie/rtevod/mp4:/filename.mp4 -W http://www.rte.ie/player/assets/player_403.swf -o filename.mp4

Time for this thread to be locked.:D

If you have a network sniffer you can see the difference. With BBC you have a single .mp4 URL. With RTE you have loads of .mp4 URLs.
    Thats what it looks like alright. But not really.

The architecture is very similar to the .smil file in the old RealMedia system.

They simply have a machine that takes in the raw broadcast stream and saves it in .mp4.

RTE Player then gets an index of the program start, adverts and end time, and plays the bits within this.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

wait... what?

• Advertisement

I got it!!!

Time for this thread to be locked.:D

There is an even easier way again. ;-)

There is an even easier way again. ;-)

Will you just tell the OP how if your allowed to....link to somewhere that will help even.
    This whole "There is you know" thing is not really that helpful.

The last time I tried sometime back the stream was encrypted and I didn't get very far so maybe there's software since that can do it.

Will you just tell the OP how if your allowed to....link to somewhere that will help even.
    Someone has posted a working method above... :confused:

EDIT: Was out and about all day, just tested my method and turns out that they have fixed the exploit I found.

Previously, all you had to do was change the URL as shown below to download the whole file.

[noparse]rtmpte://fmsod.rte.ie/rtevod/mp4:/2010/1005/20101005rte2a_20101005_230244_part1_rte_news_on_two_2010_002219.mp4[/noparse]

to

[noparse]http://fmsod.rte.ie/rtevod/2010/1005/20101005rte2a_20101005_230244_part1_rte_news_on_two_2010_002219.mp4[/noparse]

I had the name of the program in my last post.

You need two programs;

URL Snooper and rtmpdump

I had the name of the program in my last post.

You need two programs;

URL Snooper and rtmpdump

Ah cheers for that, didn't spot that in your post.
    I'll give them a try later on my windows box and report back. There's a mass of all things a neighbor wants me to pull down.

@ RoadKillTs

Thanks. Now I have all night to feel shame and loathing for not having figured that out myself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Does it still work? With URL Snooper I get a link to a SWF file now.
    And using rtmpdump I get an error message (can't conneckt to socket - unknown error)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement