Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Consolation prize Ireland to host World Cup

• 05-12-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

By Jason o'Brien
    Saturday December 05 2009

YOU may possibly have heard that Ireland is not going to the World Cup. But all is not lost -- the World Cup is coming here instead.

The most-famous sports' trophy will make its first visit here next year. Scant consolation for the injustice of the playoff result, perhaps -- but a step up from being a laughing stock.

The solid gold trophy will be in Dublin from April 3 to and April 6. Up to 3,000 soccer fans will have a chance to be photographed with it during its stay

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/consolation-prize-as-ireland--to-host-world-cup-1965175.html

Talk about taking the piss. They give us the trophy when the rest of the bloody world are over competing for it! FIFA should just stop the charade once and for all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Let's nick it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

redout wrote: »

The most-famous sports' trophy will make its first visit here next year.

It was here before a few years ago,In Brown Thomas I think it was. They had it in a glass case with two burley looking security guards.

Pretty impressive looking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Talk about taking the piss. They give us the trophy when the rest of the bloody world are over competing for it! FIFA should just stop the charade once and for all.

The World Cup trophy is always touring around the world. Nobody is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Tut, I thought this meant we would be hosting the world cup competition, in 2018 or something. God Damn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The World Cup trophy is always touring around the world. Nobody is taking the piss.

The Journo makes the point it will be the first time it visits these shores in what will be its 36th year by then. Phileas Fogg done it in 80 days and that was in a fcuking balloon! Some world tour that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Let's nick it :pac:

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

EY3530NQMKW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I thought we were gonna get to host the World Cup in a few years or something. The least they could do is give us a group game if England host it in 2018.
    Anyway, I'll head up to see the trophy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

The Journo makes the point it will be the first time it visits these shores in what will be its 36th year by then. Phileas Fogg done it in 80 days and that was in a fcuking balloon! Some world tour that.

He's wrong,as I stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sepp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

In other news, Sepp Blatter is to host a special Christmas episode of Bullseye on TV3.
    It is thought he has long been an admirer of former presenter Jim Bowen's famous catchphrase...

jim_bowen.gif

Here's What You Could Have Won!

trophy-world-cup1.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

Yep - if we hadn't been robbed of our World Cup spot, we would have definitely won it (that's my story & I'm sticking to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Yep - if we hadn't been robbed of our World Cup spot, we would have definitely won it (that's my story & I'm sticking to it).

Get over it,football is a cruel game.Many many teams have had awful decisions go against them in the premier league(primarily the smaller sides) and theyv gotten on with it.I dont think that incident should be discussed any longer guys

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Get over it,football is a cruel game.Many many teams have had awful decisions go against them in the premier league(primarily the smaller sides) and theyv gotten on with it.I dont think that incident should be discussed any longer guys

I was being sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

It was here before a few years ago,In Brown Thomas I think it was. They had it in a glass case with two burley looking security guards.

Pretty impressive looking too.

I agree. They must have spent heaps of time in the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

they can let us host the European Championships with Scotland or Wales. That would be a good compromise. Though we were going to be hosting a champions league final or UEFA Cup final (what is was called when idea was originally mooted). After that Ref can look the way everytime we rugby tackle a player inside the penalty area. That should even things out.++

Advertisement