Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird 'Mural'. Ricks Burgers, corner of Georges/Dame Street

Options
  • 05-12-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the old black & white 'mural' of a boy that used to be on the side of Ricks' Burgers on the corner of Dame Street and Georges Street?

Anyone know when it was put up there? By whom? Any old pictues?

I've been searching online for ages for a decent picture. This is the best I could find.

ricks.jpg

You can see what's left of the 'mural' directly above the street sign on the corner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I know the one your talking about alright, always reminded me of the cover of U2's Boy album. There was another similar one somewhere else in the city, I can't remember where right now. No pics though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

How long ago was it up there?

I know theres a graffiti artist called Asbestos that does lots of black and white images of people around the city. He did one near Pearse Street station of girl in black and white along with the Andy Warhol type Madeline McCanns?

Ricks burgers.....hmmmmmmm.....yum yum!

Edit: is this what your talking about?
    94718423_732e53f830.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

panda100 wrote: »
    94718423_732e53f830.jpg

That's it!

Where did you that picture?

It's definitely not Absestos. Way before his time I imagine.

I would guess that the 'mural' would have been put there in the late 1980s/early 1990s? Maybe a little bit later, I doubt earlier.

Was it Council approved? Early Dublin 'street art'?

The mural has now been completely removed. Weathered down by time and the rain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I thought these went up in the nineties and had something of an anti-war theme.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bedlam wrote: »
    Those were definitely not by asbestos, they were done by x π r if memory serves correct.

Your completely right,they were done by Pi. I just had asbestos on the brain yesterday :)

1968 wrote: »
    That's it!

Where did you that picture?

Got it here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/89231549@N00/94718423

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For some reason, I'm associating it with the Sinn Féin "25 Years - Time for Peace - Time to Go" campaign, which was in 1994. Video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/31/newsid_3605000/3605348.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have put a few murals on Rick's wall myself. Those cheesy chips... :o

Victor wrote: »
    For some reason, I'm associating it with the Sinn Féin "25 Years - Time for Peace - Time to Go" campaign, which was in 1994. Video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/31/newsid_3605000/3605348.stm

More than likely it's from the same time period but I don't think Sinn Fein had anything to do with it. It's completely unlike all their usual murals/street art/stencils etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoc2

Seem to remember these posters going up in the early to mid 90's. Was there one up near the Lord Edward pub too ? As far as I can remember they were part of an Art project. Part of the project was the idea that the pieces around the city would change and fade over time. The Arts Council could probably give ya more info if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I remember the one opposite the Lord Edward too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for that info.

Advertisement