Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best pint of stout in Greystones/Kilcoole/Delgany/Newcastle/Kilpedder

Options
  • 05-12-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just wondering which pub has the best pint of stout in the locality?

I know it is very subjective, but just wondering. Oh, please keep it to just saying which has the best pint and nothing else. That way we should avoid offending anyone.

Thanks.

P.S I have nothing to do with any pubs that are open, going to open etc. On the few occasions that I do get out I like to have a nice pint and that can be hard around here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Any time i go to the Beachgaf i have a nice creamy Guinness that is consistently great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

byrnes in kilcoole without doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Any time i go to the Beachgaf i have a nice creamy Guinness that is consistently great.

I worked there for years.
    I used to drink there a lot.
    I have been a few times recently.

The only thing I care to contribute is that the beer, all the beer, is consistantly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Please please keep it to where you think is the best pint of stout. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

2 great pints of Guinness in the Burnaby yesterday evening

perfect in fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

The Grove do great pints

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

FirstIn wrote: »
    Please please keep it to where you think is the best pint of stout. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok.

Well then IMO the pub where the beer, particularly the guinness is consistently not bad is the Carraig.

I say this despite the fact that I regularly refute the biggest urban myth in the country. I.e. that Guinness somehow tastes different from location to location. I'd go so far as to say the one draught beer which varies the least is Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Without question - The Grove Bar in Willow Grove has the best pint of Guinness is Ireland - Pure Silk!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

gar.k wrote: »
    byrnes in kilcoole without doubt..
    This and it's not even close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I say this despite the fact that I regularly refute the biggest urban myth in the country. I.e. that Guinness somehow tastes different from location to location. I'd go so far as to say the one draught beer which varies the least is Guinness.

this is exactly why Diagio started maintaining their own lines in pubs, so as to achieve consistency wherever you go. What they have no control over is the staff in each pub committing crimes against beer, warm glasses, wet glasses, poor technique and presentation.

I don't drink the black stuff, so can't say where the best pint is, but based on observation, Dann's is where I have seen the fewest crimes committed. Before anyone dispels my theories, I have a lot of time done behind bars including time spent training staff in Irish pubs in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

The Grove is my local pub for the last 18 years, and it did have the best rep for it's Guinnness...but sadly it's locally agreed the Guinness is not consistent since it changed owners.

Byrnes in Kilcoole, consistently above average, even the Burnaby in recent times, the pints of the black stuff has been quiet good.

I'm convinced that inconsistence is due to lack of proper training. A genuine Guiness drinker is quiet prepared to wait to let their pint "settle" in order to achieve the perfect pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    The Grove is my local pub for the last 18 years, and it did have the best rep for it's Guinnness...but sadly it's locally agreed the Guinness is not consistent since it changed owners.

Byrnes in Kilcoole, consistently above average, even the Burnaby in recent times, the pints of the black stuff has been quiet good.

I'm convinced that inconsistence is due to lack of proper training. A genuine Guiness drinker is quiet prepared to wait to let their pint "settle" in order to achieve the perfect pint.

I'm pretty sure the whole "2-part pour" "good things come to those who wait" waffle is a load of marketing hype. Maybe I'm wrong, but Guinness Draught is only around since the 60s and the serious drinkers prefer the bottled Extra Stout version.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

I'd have to disagree with you there, loyatemu. As someone who was trained to pull a perfect pint, before coolers were involved, the two part process was an absolute must, which resulted in a superior pint. The pint had settled after the initial draw, you were merely "topping off" to raise the head just above the lip of the glass - resulting in the perfect "warm" pint...no cooler involved.

I know I'm showing my age when I say, that was when the pint reached the lofty cost of 50p a pint... there was uproar at the cost! Ah, Happy days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Twiggy69 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you there, loyatemu. As someone who was trained to pull a perfect pint, before coolers were involved, the two part process was an absolute must, which resulted in a superior pint. The pint had settled after the initial draw, you were merely "topping off" to raise the head just above the lip of the glass - resulting in the perfect "warm" pint...no cooler involved.

I know I'm showing my age when I say, that was when the pint reached the lofty cost of 50p a pint... there was uproar at the cost! Ah, Happy days...
    Definitely a must. It's funny really. I worked in Ale Houses in Yorkshire where the ale was hand pumped from casks and needed a two part pour (sometimes three depending on the cellarman - I won't get too technical) but the staff just couldn't get their heads around two part pour for a pint from a regular tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as discussed on the ever-essential Beer, Wine and Spirits boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Definitely a must. It's funny really. I worked in Ale Houses in Yorkshire where the ale was hand pumped from casks and needed a two part pour (sometimes three depending on the cellarman - I won't get too technical) but the staff just couldn't get their heads around two part pour for a pint from a regular tap.

Ooh how i miss real ale :(

Advertisement