Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

superior has a bad character (or have i turned him bad?) Please help!

Options
  • 05-12-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

He usually says i work well when nobody is around and tends to belittle my work when others and bosses are around. He intentionally says that things are not urgent (eventhough they are) so that i get a bad reputation for not finishing projects in time. Iam a competent worker but my people skills are very poor. I just do not know what to say, I completely lack diplomacy or tact. I believe i have made the relationship sour by saying things such as *I* have a lot of things to do (accidentaly implying that he has less to do) in front of others . Other mistake I have commited with him is that i lightly pointed out the technical mistakes he and his superiors do in work that comes to me.

The job itself is quite new and unfortunately I cannot quit. Please tell me how to fix the relationship with my superior.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Tinkerbell09

do you think he is playing to the crowd when he is critizising your work in front of people?

i had a bit of a settling in period in my job too, with one person i worked with who hated me on sight, but i really needed the job. im still there, she is not, because my work quality speaks for itself. like you, i feel that im awful tactless so i generally try not to say too much.

what about asking him when tasks are assigned to set a deadline for you? get a desk diary and note task and deadline, and tick off when you finish and hand it over. that way, if a comment is made, you can pretend to look puzzled, flick in your diary, and (as i call it, do a blonde!) be vague and 'oh i left that on your desk last friday...didnt you get it?

back up this by sending an email when you do something. eg. sent x report to y, copy on your desk, let me know if you need more printed etc.

my desk diary has saved my ass on many occasions, now it becomes automatic to me to ask a deadline and record it. i am also clear when im asked to do stuff about deadlines, that i firstly say 'yes, i can probably do that, except for thursday when i have to work on y which is due, but apart from that, i can work x y & z days if that is any good to ya.

i also find that making the conversation lighter helps, and a big smile when explaining can help (not in a flippant way, and if you feel rattled, careful what you say in a joke. its best to smile and be efficient rather than making a joke that lands badly.

good luck..

Advertisement