Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU issue?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I've put together a micro ATX 780G system -- Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H (v1.1) + 4850e + 4G RAM + Win7 HP. The case is an el-cheapo uATX "media centre" desktop case with included 230W PSU I got from eBuyer last January or February. Unfortunately they no longer sell the case so I can't link to it.

Anyway, the build works works fine ... when I can power it on.

Every so often I go to power it on and nothing happens. By trial and error I've found that switching the mains supply off, holding in the machine's ON button for 30 seconds, then switching the mains supply back on, and the next press of the ON button will power up the machine.

Any idea what might be up here?

Yours in puzzlement...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Chances are you've been lucky with that PSU.

If you take a look at the spec which is normally written on the side you really want something that can reliably deliver 18Amps on the +12Volt rails, but I'm sure someone will give you a good idea of what PSU you should be using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Thanks ttm - the PSU claims +12V @ 15A and +5V @ 12A.

It is very odd, though, as it only seems to not power up after at least a couple of hours of being turned off. A friend of mine was saying that PSUs nowadays are 'live' all the time as they're monitoring the state of the power-on button (as opposed to the big klunky ON/OFF switches in PCs back in the 80s); he reckons there's something wrong with the monitoring circuit.

In any event, it's a relatively minor inconvenience so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I'll buy a brand-name case/PSU next time :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Could even be the switch on the front of the computer case thats a bit dodgy?

I may be wrong but I think I have noticed issues where the PSU was on its way out or very poor quality when if the load on one of the rails was too great the PSU says to itelf "short circuit" and stays switched off for a period of time (pre programmed). So when you leave it for say half an hour it works again.

Advertisement