Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming lapto advice

Options
  • 05-12-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Motherboard on my old pc seems to be shot so I think its time to get myself a new laptop.
    Been looking at the overclockers.co.uk laptops , would preferably like something thats suitable for gaming but won't be making the jump to overly expensive alienware. :D Anyone have any advice on any companies that are selling laptops suitable for gaming etc at about 1200 euro or there abouts? ;)
    Thanks very much lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Gaming laptops are a terrible idea, poorer hardware, inability to upgrade and a tendency to overheat. But if youreally really must have one another company worth looking at is: http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/. €1200 wont get you much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Motherboard on my old pc seems to be shot so I think its time to get myself a new laptop.
    Been looking at the overclockers.co.uk laptops , would preferably like something thats suitable for gaming but won't be making the jump to overly expensive alienware. :D Anyone have any advice on any companies that are selling laptops suitable for gaming etc at about 1200 euro or there abouts? ;)
    Thanks very much lads.

how "suitable" for games are we talking about here?
    Gaming laptops are very bad for the aul price/performance ratio, they are not very upgradeable and they go out of date very quickly.

How hardcore do you game? If you are willing to turn down settings and don't play very intensive games if might do the trick.

Gaming laptops are a terrible compromise: they really are the worst of both worlds. They have crap batter life (typically 1hr....), they are typically big, run hot, no good for mobile use what so ever and are crap for running games unless you spend a blind fortune and even then they are still crap compared to a desktop for half the price....

One option worth considering: get a half dacent custom build gaming pc with a cheap tiny laptop/netbook.

The pc will be upgradeable and will run games much better than the gaming "laptop" and you would the netbook/cheap lappy for web browsing etc...

If you are only a fairly casual gamer who plays older games you can pick up laptops with a "suitable" gfx card for under €1000

e.g. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=519695

It really comes down to how picky are you about games and what kind of games you play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Not extremely picky so don't mind turning down settings. Really like the look of the titan apollo though. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Usually the usable (and mercifully portable) 15.4" gaming notebooks start around €1400. Anything less won't net you much of a GPU :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Solitaire wrote: »
    Usually the usable (and mercifully portable) 15.4" gaming notebooks start around €1400. Anything less won't net you much of a GPU :o

Ended up ordering a Kobalt which is a rebranded Clevo. Looks fairly good.;) About 300 over budget.

• Advertisement
Advertisement