Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport photos

• 05-12-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Does anyone know a professional photographer in Clare (Ennis?) who does biometric photos for passports?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I didn't know you needed a special photo for passports.... But I know the pharmacy on Abbey Street, Hooly's I think, do four passport photos for €4 if that's any help. Probably not though.... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭asmobhosca

Wilsons on o connell st do them.
    be advised he can be a grumpy old sod sometimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Thanks!
    I'm not looking for a charmer really, just someone who does this biometric photos, on which you are according to the guidelines not supposed to smile or look happy anyway. Sounds he's perfect for the job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

palaver wrote: »
    Does anyone know a professional photographer in Clare (Ennis?) who does biometric photos for passports?

I got my passport photo's done recently up in the shop across from Halifax & they were perfect,only cost around 5euro as well :D I went into Wilson's first & that old fella was ignorant to say the very least so i left,wanted to charge me 20euro as well:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ah, Dickey Wilson, I went into him to get passport photos taken for my nephew, he gave me the photo and looked for €20, I told him the pictures were no good cause the child's eyes were open, I was told it wasn't his fault and I'd have to pay,I laughed and walked out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

I'm a bit confused now. I'm actually looking for BIOMETRIC pass photos, which have to be taken by a special biometric camera (4 "eyes" - whatever that means). Not some old passport photos as we used to take in shopping mall boots.

I'ts part of new passport regulations with all the digital stuff inlcuding fingerprints and some chip and whatnot.

The photo has to be "metric" that is you have to show your face in a special angle, that is straight, you have to look serious and are not allowed to smile (don't know how to keep that one up :D) or have your hair in your face. The measurements from eyes to nose to chin and top and bottom of the photo are given. The background has to be light grey and there are no flattering light thingies allowed.
    No way to look your very best with a cheeky smile, just the bland mug shot.:(.

And they do measure the photos to make sure it's "biometric". Otherwise they demand another try - and demand the same fee again.

That's why I need to be sure to get the right photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Clareman wrote: »
    the child's eyes were open

Would that not be right or did you mean closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Aidan Sweeney across the road from that coffee shop near Clare FM takes passport photos to the new spec. Takes a day or so to be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i got mine done in the chemist in dunnes stores it took an hour to get my 2 year olds done but they persisted. only cost 6 € if i had gone to willsons it would have cost 40€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

palaver wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused now. I'm actually looking for BIOMETRIC pass photos, which have to be taken by a special biometric camera (4 "eyes" - whatever that means). Not some old passport photos as we used to take in shopping mall boots.

I'ts part of new passport regulations with all the digital stuff inlcuding fingerprints and some chip and whatnot.

The photo has to be "metric" that is you have to show your face in a special angle, that is straight, you have to look serious and are not allowed to smile (don't know how to keep that one up :D) or have your hair in your face. The measurements from eyes to nose to chin and top and bottom of the photo are given. The background has to be light grey and there are no flattering light things allowed.
    No way to look your very best with a cheeky smile, just the bland mug shot.:(.

And they do measure the photos to make sure it's "biometric". Otherwise they demand another try - and demand the same fee again.

That's why I need to be sure to get the right photos.

Biometric passports came out in October 2006. The "biometric" only refers to the RFID tag that is incorporated in the top right hand corner of the laminated plastic page.

The photos taken for those passports are not "biometric" they are normal digital prints on quality photopaper. The code for these photos is a lot stricter than former passports as the image is processed, digitalized and also incorporated into than the "hologram" by the passport office.

Automated photo machines are useless. A professional photographer must know exactly what is required and even they can print rejects. You should keep any receipt from the photographer as the rejection rate is high compared to older ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

It's not that hard (and a photographer who can't get it right the first time wouldn't get any of my business again).

Official guidelines for irish passport photo requirements can be found here.

A good (and free) website for passport photos 'made at home' is www.epassportphoto.com

hugoline wrote: »
    It's not that hard (and a photographer who can't get it right the first time wouldn't get any of my business again).
    You won't know until the passport office verifies them and has them returned to you. In my case my photographer ran a second set for me FOC after the first ones failed over some ridiculous technicality, I could hardly see any difference between both sets, i think it was down to darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I took the passport photos myself for my wife and daughter (4 months old at the time) earlier this year. Took them with a digital SLR, did a bit of processing in Photoshop and printed them out on my inkjet. They were accepted for the passports first time no problem. The rules are indeed strict, but they're not impossible to adhere to. If I could do it, then a professional photographer should have no problem.

phutyle wrote: »
    I took the passport photos myself for my wife and daughter (4 months old at the time) earlier this year. Took them with a digital SLR, did a bit of processing in Photoshop and printed them out on my inkjet. They were accepted for the passports first time no problem. The rules are indeed strict, but they're not impossible to adhere to. If I could do it, then a professional photographer should have no problem.
    Your lucky, If the office knew that this yours were a DIY job they would have failed them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Your lucky, If the office knew that this yours were a DIY job they would have failed them. :D

Luck or skill? :D Actually, I don't think there's anything in the requirements that says you can't take and print the photos yourself. All they want is a clear picture that meets their specifications, and I followed them to a T.

I didn't fancy bringing my 4 month old into Wilsons and spending a fortune, only for her to kick up a fuss and Mr. Wilson to get annoyed (he once gave out to my wife for the poor exposure of her holiday snaps that she left in for processing, telling her when she should have used the flash. Constructive criticism, I suppose.). As she was too young to sit up unaided, and we couldn't have our hands in the photos, I took photos of her lying down on a white sheet, standing directly over her. It took some patience and time to get it right, but it worked out in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Photoworld on Parnell Street. Nice crowd and decent prices. Or you can shoot it yourself and print it out on their machine.
    Why would DIY photos have to be failed? As long as they adhere to the guidelines I see no reason not to accept them.

Advertisement