Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gun level effect on bb path?

Options
  • 05-12-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Im wondering if the gun level, ie on the horizontal plane, effects the flight path of the bb. It seems on my sniper rifle that if I lean the gun slightly to the rigt the bb curves to the right and vice versa. But how can this b? After all the bb is a sphere and the barrel is unrifled so why would it matter what the rotation angle of the barrel is? Am I just imagining it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

It is the hop-up affecting it.
    The hop adds backspin to the BB inceasing it's range whilst causing it to curve up very slightly on some set ups. This is probably what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

It requires only a very tiny amount of lateral tilt for this to happen and the bb veers left or right at about 15 metres, this is also with minimum amount of hopup on. What's the cure for this? No hop up? Put my rifle on a level surface for every shot? Impractical. I'm even using a bipod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

The hop-up produces a spin that causes the BB to veer in the direction of the spin. If you hold the gun straight the BB will veer upwards but due to gravity it looks like it's going straight. If you rotate the gun so it's tilted a little to one side only part of the force imparted from the spin is upwards and acting against gravity, the rest is acting sideways.

Physics dictates two solutions:
    A) Don't use a hop
    B) Fire with the gun held upright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Attach a spirit level to your scope :P

yes ive seen archers with spirit levels on their sights:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Attach a spirit level to your scope :P

I've actually seen scopes with spirit levels on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

You've clearly noticed this 'tilt' Its because the arc of the hop is canted it shoots off to whichever side is now more 'up' than before.

Simple answer? Practice shooting, learn to hold your rifle level.

Out of morbid curiosity, what rifle is this?

Its the L96 agm awp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

If your bipod dosn't allow the rifle to cant left or right when you have it deployed and you're not on level ground then this will definately contribute to the problem.

You can't really rotate the hop up unit so you'll have to rotate the rifle.

A bipod that allows you to shoulder the rifle so its aligned upright i.e. allows movement will seriously help.

Practice with firing the rifle really is the only solution to the issue as the more consistent you are in the way you shoulder the rifle the more consistent your shot can be. Its the same whether its real steel or airsoft. Practice and consistency help you to place the shot where it matters.

Actually, one can rotate the hop by principal, adjusting how the barrel sits in the hop is the same thing, and can fix any twist that may be present.

Secondly, a bipod is overall, in my book, a bad idea. Stick to just using it by hand, you get more comfortable and instinctive aiming and leveling, and don't rely on a hunk of metal thats frankly just dead weight. Plus when prone you can get lower down with the rifle and thus reduce your signature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Firekitten wrote: »
    Practice shooting, learn to hold your rifle level.

+1

You'll get similar results even with a real-steel rifle.

There's a reason for using the horizon as a reference when shooting - if the rifle is canted in either direction, your projectile arc will change.

This is more pronouced when using a hopup as the alignment of the spin imparted to the BB *MUST* be verticle for the BB to travel straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

A bipod, while having uses, is not the best method. I think practice, and carrying a rest or sand-sock is the best way, and perhaps spirit level in the scope aint a half bad idea! The only reason I am putting a bipod/ foregrip on my JG G36c which arrived today thanks to Tony, is so I can plonk it down and use it for support fire if needed. My friend got his L96 recently and found that the bipod is a waste of space, he uses sand sock instead.

Aha for brainwaves.... Check your scope is level :P

Great and informative advice all. Many thanks. Especially like the sock idea and of course check the scope is level:):):)

Advertisement