Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Tax rip off compared to suas an boarder

Options
  • 05-12-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

My mate pays £150 for his car tax on a 2.0 liter Diesel. I drive a 1.9 liter Diesel and parted with €532 just last week.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its a different country. Different rules and sooooo many other factors come into play. Not saying its fair, but you really cant call ripoff when youre dealing with different states.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We pay €156 for a 1.6 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Oryx wrote: »
    Its a different country. Different rules and sooooo many other factors come into play. Not saying its fair, but you really cant call ripoff when youre dealing with different states.

Ha. typical boards.ie. I can't "call" rip off? Pretty sure this section of said site is full of people voicing their angst because they feel ripped off, me one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd rather earn a salary in Dublin and pay the appropriate taxes than earn a much lower salary up North. You're comparing apples with oranges, different salaries and different taxes.

Look at differences in social welfare payments and the minimum wage in the two countries.

Some people don't let the facts stand in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Len_007 wrote: »
    Ha. typical boards.ie. I can't "call" rip off? Pretty sure this section of said site is full of people voicing their angst because they feel ripped off, me one of them.
    Seems many people have different ideas of what a ripoff is, why do you think road tax or its equivalent might be higher in one country than another? With all the VAT being lost to overseas purchases I expect the likes of motor tax will increase even more in the future.

You can call ripoff, but I think the real forum you are looking for is the Ranting & Raving forum.
    keefg wrote: »
    This thread is for all rants to do with driving, motorists, pedestrians, cyclists or any activity on public roads that you want to rant about.

Rules - Read them carefully before posting!

Usual Boards rules apply (no personal abuse, racism etc etc.)

* No general sexist rants. If you have a specific rant involving a male or female driver then rant away, but do not just post "All women/men or crap drivers".

* Do not make comments about other Boards forums or specific members.

* Do not post against the rants.

* Do not try to explain or rationalise the road users behaviour. Rant or do not post.

* If you are not happy with a post then use the "Report Post" function - do not start an in-thread row.

* Single line rants may be deleted as discretion of the mods (unless they are very funny).

* No rants that generalise against a particular race behind the wheel.

* No quoting of another poster's rant to counter rant. Just say your piece without quoting.

* No chit chat, rants only!

Obey the rules or face the ban hammer!!

In there you will face no opposition to your complaints, as people who disagree with you would be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Irish road tax isn't a rip-off, it's simply the usual state-sponsored robbery that we've grown to know and love.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Len_007 wrote: »
    My mate pays £150 for his car tax on a 2.0 liter Diesel. I drive a 1.9 liter Diesel and parted with €532 just last week.

A Total rip off. You have the green party to thank for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

To be honest, I don't think road tax is a ripoff as such.

Years ago, when there was no money being put into road infrastructure, it was a ripoff. But these days, there are major (and expensive) improvements being made, so I think there's some justification. I'd guess (only a guess) that this country's been putting more money per mile of road into the infrastructure than the UK has over the past ten years- because of the bad state of our roads to begin with.

However, I do object to tolls on the roads. They should pick high motor tax, or tolls, but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

There are now plenty of 2l + cars that have a €156 car tax down south whereas its more expensive up north - may =be a northern rip off.

Oh yeah - ask your mate how much he's paying for his diesel???

hmmm. you might have forgotten to mention that part.

Diesel is currently an average of £1.18 in Northern Ireland - about €1.33 (20% more expensive than "the south"

And if you drive 25,000 miles a year, thats an extra €600 a year in fuel tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I'm out in Saudi, and to fill a car up is about €4.00 for petrol and €1.50 for diesel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

colrow wrote: »
    I'm out in Saudi, and to fill a car up is about €4.00 for petrol and €1.50 for diesel

That's just like here, sure we'll just tap into our own massive oil reserves instead of importing...dunno why we've been doing that all this time :rolleyes:

OP, that's harsh...but on the otherhand newer cars can get much lower motor tax ratings, so that's something to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

colrow wrote: »

well you don't have beautiful rain down there!! :D

and er the sand gets in your eyes

and er em give me a few days to think of other nasty comments abiout life in a sundrenched virtually tax free land :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

animaal wrote: »
    I'd guess (only a guess) that this country's been putting more money per mile of road into the infrastructure than the UK has over the past ten years- because of the bad state of our roads to begin with.

Remember years ago when i was a kid going the north and you could tell when you crossed by the smoothness of the road,(that and the soldiers with guns)..
    But driving up last week it was the opposite, nice newish smooth roads til you crossed then broken up general bad roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

mcaul wrote: »
    well you don't have beautiful rain down there!! :D

:p

Its been lashing it down for the past few days, I'm telling all the jinglys, "Ah this is great weather Just like an Irish Summer!!!"

On the site they've been issued with bin bags cut a hole for their head and arms, and are using them as raincoats, very cute they look too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Henri7

I pay €1,290 pa for a 2993cc car that was bought in France before the change to tax by CO2 and registered in Eire July 2008. The CO2 emissions are less than your average 2 litre car and my mileage is less than 1000 pa. I believe in the UK tax would be c £300 or so....
    And as for car tax in France - you pay a one off carte grise fee when you buy the car. For mine it was €300 or so.
    I can see there's no point in driving a decent car in Eire - especially on your dreaduk roads.

Advertisement